xencore... corepuppified xenial

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nosystemdthanks

xencore... corepuppified xenial

#1 Post by nosystemdthanks »

more information here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 813#999813

mxencore is a script that creates xencore from coreplus and xenial.

its meant to be distributed as a script-- the script is meant to be automatic. most of the "steps" outlined in the url are just to get started, when you run mxencore its just:

1. clear files that were put there when it ran previously

2. run fig46 on the script, then run the python script that it produces

mcorepup04 (same concept) running from corepup (we got it working from puppy first actually.)

it all runs in /mnt/mxencore and the reason this post didnt have more information at first, is the post assumed anyone interested would be from the corepup thread.

0.1 is the proof of concept, it does work but if youve never used corepup youre going to be confused by 0.1 of xencore.

xencore is really a version of mcorepup that will produce lots of .tcz packages directly from the xenial image itself. right now, it creates one .tcz from xenial. tcz packages are ultimately sfs files.

one of the goals of corepup is to make tinycore more like puppy.

xencore incorporates most of xenial with corepup.

the two are not well-integrated yet. you get a bootable iso that still needs icewm added. (will likely be fixed in later versions.)

xencore replaces palemoon with icecat. icecat includes a lot of poorly-designed plugins with obnoxious modal dialogs, which will be removed or disabled intil icecat is actually usable as a browser. reveal hidden html for example, is a really cool feature that is just implemented so poorly that it has to go. it asks if you dont want the modal dialogs-- of course you dont-- and then after that it continues to bother you and stops asking if you dont want the dialogs. so that will get deleted from the iso.

xencore is largely corepup compatible, and may eventually be incorporated into mcorepup. for now, development is separate.
Attachments
mxencore01.fig.gz
(81.85 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Last edited by nosystemdthanks on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi nosystemdthanks.

You said.
> "... so that will get deleted from the iso."

Icecat is the pits, eh? Euh... why not delete it now?

Edit, 2018-07-29: I should NOT have written the following paragraph,
but I did... Owning up. (Where is the "sheepish" icon?)

Anyway that whole paragraph sounds like you're talking to yourself. Which
is fine, great even. It means you can talk, and that you are yourself. :lol:
However, I think it's better if a friend tells you -- rather than an enemy!

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

Hey musher0 !

ever see the movie "WarGames"?
there is a scene that has one super computer geek telling another
almost the same thing. Hilarious..... really is ...just the thought of this playing out in the movie we're in...check it out... you musher0 are the guy at the desk.....

https://youtu.be/GfJJk7i0NTk

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Nope.

At this point I do not care about any comment from any murga forum
member who cannot stand in solidarity with a section going down the drain.

The above is not personal, the above is a principle.

Regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

glad to see your sense of humor is alive and well

The above is not personal, the above is a principle.
You got balls musher0 .......why not explain to me what you mean by this.

You want to fucking go at it French Boy? tell me exactly what it is I have done to you or this forum. Go ahead and explain it to me you fucking troll.

maybe you and your cohorts are the problem
Last edited by rockedge on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

Hey musher0
remember this?
Probably Americans. They see a tag "made in the US" on anything and
suddenly they start feeling all mushy inside
lets get into who does what around here.

you and this "Pelo" are you him on the side?

You sound like one of those Frenchy Secessionists who suddenly become"Canadian" when convenient.

wanderer

#7 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks (and rockedge)

like i said on the corepup thread

this is totally awesome

the idea behind corepup

thanks for all the work

you are the man

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#8 Post by nosystemdthanks »

musher you and i have a history of misunderstanding each other--

im not going to start putting the blame on you again, but you and rockedge have no reason to fight.

icecat is a perfectly good browser, and good browsers are quite difficult to find these days.

the concept that mkfigos and mcorepup and mxencore have in common is, it makes a full recipt of changes and if you dont approve of a change, you just do a text search and delete the change you dont like. remove the parts that replace palemoon with icecat and voila, you dont get icecat you get pale moon instead.

i mean its several lines, but its not high tech. if youve run mxencore then this is trivial to do.

either way, most people are just going to use the original xen pup. you remix it too, so im sure that youre alright with it being remixed.

i will probably leave icecat installed, but some of the plugins have to go, or it is not usable. and usable is a necessary feature in a browser.

in hindi they have a saying:

"chinta ki koi bat nehi hai"

in french this would translate to "ne t'inquiètes pas"
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

spiritwild

#9 Post by spiritwild »

Is there some force at work on this forum causing some kind of rip in the fabric?
suddenly people are having words with each other left and right.

Just an observation.

nosystemdthanks

#10 Post by nosystemdthanks »

honestly it happens all the time.

it may sometimes increase and decrease, ive noticed it for years.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

OK, you say you can do this or you can do that, but where is the information on how to do it?
Specific details?
You have to give info that someone very new to Linux and OS manipulation, can understand.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nosystemdthanks

#12 Post by nosystemdthanks »

sorry, puppy projects subforum, this one, has two threads about that-- corepup (wanderers) and mcorepup (mine.)

that doesnt mean im unwilling to post more details here, i try to wait until someone actually wants to use it first-- but we are talking about this on the corepup thread the most (its also the largest thread and the hardest to navigate, but most recent pages tend to be most relevant.)

happy to help if youre interested.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

In the first post.
What is mxencore01.fig.gz suppose to be?
It is not a gz or a image.
I download it and can not figure out what to do with it.
Explain?
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

sorry, puppy projects subforum, this one, has two threads about that-- corepup (wanderers) and mcorepup (mine.)

OK.
How about a link to them in the first post.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nosystemdthanks

#15 Post by nosystemdthanks »

and done. dont know why it wont load the pic though-- ive even tried downloading it and uploading it, its just being crap.

not really important, but would be nice if it had worked.

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Just make it a jpg image.
That should just post to the forum.
I do it all the time and if the image is scaled to width of no more than 700, it will be seen and not a download.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nosystemdthanks

#17 Post by nosystemdthanks »

mcorepup04 (very similar to xencore, which is based on mcorepup05) running from corepup.

we got it working in puppy first. i actually produce these in void linux, then run them from another machine or in qemu.
Attachments
topic.jpg
(139.11 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

nosystemdthanks wrote:musher you and i have a history of misunderstanding each other--

im not going to start putting the blame on you again, but you and rockedge have no reason to fight.

icecat is a perfectly good browser, and good browsers are quite difficult to find these days.

the concept that mkfigos and mcorepup and mxencore have in common is, it makes a full recipt of changes and if you dont approve of a change, you just do a text search and delete the change you dont like. remove the parts that replace palemoon with icecat and voila, you dont get icecat you get pale moon instead.

i mean its several lines, but its not high tech. if youve run mxencore then this is trivial to do.

either way, most people are just going to use the original xen pup. you remix it too, so im sure that youre alright with it being remixed.

i will probably leave icecat installed, but some of the plugins have to go, or it is not usable. and usable is a necessary feature in a browser.

in hindi they have a saying:

"chinta ki koi bat nehi hai"

in french this would translate to "ne t'inquiètes pas"
Hi nosystemdthanks.

@rockedge: Sorry if my previous comment lent itself to be interpreted
as offensive.

With the cascade of insults pelo/hamoudoudou has been spewing on me
lately, I was not and still am not in the mood to be associated with some
"guy at a desk" in a movie I know nothing about. How would I know that
THAT is not an insult?

I write pretty good English, enough probably to project an illusion (which
is a bad thing), but I am still not from your culture. Most American pop
culture references do not mean anything to me. Remember that. Whether
that is fortunate or unfortunate has nothing to do with it.

I spent part of grade 3 in a boarding school in Newport (VT). Our family
wanted to emigrate to Philadelphia. Somehow it didn't happen, and my
dad died before I was old enough to realize the importance of that non-
event and ask him about it.

If we had emigrated, maybe I'd be your next door neighbor, or maybe I
would have left my bones in Vietnam fighting for the Star-Spangled. (I'm
old enough for that.) Who knows?

What is certain is that at age 8, I knew that America was a land of school-
yard gang fights between Franco-Americans and WASPs. I didn't want to
know that at age 8, no kid does.

Except it left me forever with a peculiar perspective on the US. One that
Americans themselves seldom know. Some Americans don't know that
they have had a Franco-American minority (Maine, VT, NH, RI, Louisiana)
since the beginning almost of their Republic.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I'm telling you the above.

Anyway, again please forgive me for the misunderstanding, if what was
NOT an insult sounded like one.

Back at nosystemdthanks: thanks for hollering by PM, thanks for being
a friend. But icecat is still the pits!!! ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

rockedge

#19 Post by rockedge »

@musher0
I will accept that. I could have been kinder in my response as well.

I understand your position. I know the rich history and the importance of the role France and the French in North America played in the formation of the United States.
I remember the Vietnam war well.
I am first generation American, 95% of my family live in Germany and a small contingent is spread across the US,some on the Pacific, and some on the Atlantic. English is not my first language.

I did not expect you to know American references ...I have lived half my life in Europe and I know how it is.....that's why I supplied a link to the scene...then you would understand better the humor.

Vermont is nice.
boarding school in 3rd grade in a foreign country not so nice.

the icecat browser is really not that good.

nosystemdthanks

#20 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:the icecat browser is really not that good.
every browser sucks. the developer of pale moon also sucks, and lies to his users. id be willing to use a one-man web browser derivative (indeed, i tried to get more people to use pale moon when i used it) if that one man wasnt also kind of a scumbag, but after the noscript thing i can tell him exactly where he can put his web browser.

every firefox derivative (including pale moon, and probably icecat too) tries to push the user around when it comes to what plugins they have installed. the behaviour they have coded in now is completely unacceptable.

i wont ever use pale moon again, i dont want to use firefox and i hate it, icecat is interesting (and yes, it absolutely sucks) and has slight potential (after removing some of the suck) but theyre all absolute garbage.

even the web sucks. it is bloated, designed pretty exclusively by corporations at this point-- theres a reason that the biggest threat to your security is the browser. the most resource intense application on average is the browser. the application that does the most phoning home-- the browser.

its PRACTICALLY malware.

the whole stupid thing (in more ways than one) is like an "open source" version of an adobe plugin at this point. and i used mozilla when it was still in beta.

i actually have what i consider a pretty good design for a browser-- but im busy with other things i consider equally important.

ive tried a lot of distros, a lot of browsers, a lot of basic programming dialects too. just looking for the right one.

with distros and basic programming dialects-- i finally just made my own. i will probably never make a web browser, but thats what i said about distros too.

yes, icecat sucks a lot. im actually using firefox right now, but i hate it and a lot of the people who work for mozilla are a bunch of rotten sellouts.

they dont stand for anything, theyre only better than microsoft or google in the same way that id still prefer to have all my phone calls recorded as an american citizen, rather than a chinese one.

nothing against the chinese, honestly-- just their total crap-fest of a government.

personally i think everything mozilla does about "privacy" or "freedom" at this point is about as meaningful as if facebook does it. they will continue to chase gimmicks and p.r., but mozilla will never be good again. neither will any browser made from theirs.
Last edited by nosystemdthanks on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.