How to use Huawei E 173 modem in newer Puppies?

Bernhardiner

How to use Huawei E 173 modem in newer Puppies?

#1 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi Users,

did anyone ever solve the Problem, how a Huawei E 173 gprs modem can work with the 6.0 and above Puppies, with the newer network connection programs?

I think it was RSH, who had a personal solution, can he post or upload that somewhere?

The modem has siblings which don't work either.

I could use any Puppy which works on older hardware, but has newer browsers, that's why I sooner or later will need it.

I tried a few Puppies, but the modem is either not recognized or doesn't connect.
I tried Manna 6.4.3 and Music2go lately.

I put some updates into them, connect-updates, frisbee 1.4.8, network-connect-update 2018, network wizard 2017, pgprs 2.02, simple network 2018.
CDC Ether driver doesn't work.

Does anyone have any solution?

Thank you.
Last edited by Bernhardiner on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 23:09, edited 3 times in total.

zagreb999

#2 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS

TAKE PUPJIBARO SYNAPTIC 642,
INSTALL IT , INSERT MOBILE STICK,
WAIT SHORT...
IT MUST WORK...

rg66

#3 Post by rg66 »

See this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 801#960801

Tested and working on Slacko-6.3.2 and Tahr-6.0.5
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Bernhardiner

#4 Post by Bernhardiner »

Thanks, I will try it and report when I'm done.

Other suggestions are still welcome, of course.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Bernhardiner. And Image to the 'kennels'.

My advice.....seriously? Ditch the whole idea of broadband dongles. I have had 'em working before now, but they're a complete PITA most of the time.....and there is a much simpler solution. It entails a bit more initial outlay, but it's then available for a lot more uses, too...

Get yourself a 'mobile hotspot'. These things are essentially a mobile phone, but without the phone 'stuff'. They comprise a SIM card, battery, all that stuff.....and a wifi transmitter. Any wifi adapter that's compatible with Puppy (whether built-in, or external USB/PCMCIA) will connect to them. They just work.

They're also easier to set-up, too, since you simply use the built-in network tools to configure them. Dougal's Network Wizard would be best, since the options are more comprehensive.....and once set-up properly, it'll auto-connect on each subsequent boot (just remember to turn the 'hotspot' on before booting).

Just my tuppence-worth. :)

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

You can try also this with the current usb-modeswitch. Open a new file with geany and paste the following content:

Code: Select all

########################################################
# Huawei E173 (Viettel 3G)

TargetVendor=  0x12d1
TargetProduct= 0x14a8

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1
DefaultProduct=0x14b5

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011062000000100000000000000000000"
Save as huawei.conf in /etc. Then open a console and run:

Code: Select all

usb_modeswitch -c /etc/huawei.conf
Then try to connect using pgprs-2.02.

Bernhardiner

#7 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi all,

I tried the suggestion of watchdog in Music2go, and the terminal said:

"Look for target devices ...
No devices in target mode or class found
Look for default devices ...
No devices in default mode found. Nothing to do. Bye!"

The modem was obviously not recognized.

(Sorry, I just saw the personal message from watchdog, I will try it again.)

@Mike Walsh: The usage of such mobile modems can have certain advantages, it depends where our priorities are.
One disadvantage is the high speed data limit, and now I have to wait or get a different connection to download the pupjibaro and the mobile partner file mentioned above. ;-)

There is actually another Huawei modem that works, but that has a sim lock which has to be cracked, and it makes a connection to Huawei servers even without a sim card inserted, it has a huge data flow to that server which I find suspicious. Everything one does with that modem goes over Huawei, I guess.

Greetings
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

@Bernhardiner

Hi.

Newer Puppies have a faulty usb-modeswitch installed by default.

Attached is a package for Slacko, though I'd tested it in other Puppies and it seems to work. Probably you would need libpipline (which they placed unfortunately into the devx).

If you tell me your Puppy version, I could download libpipeline (if necessary) and attach it here.

Btw: it's me RSH
Attachments
usb-modeswitch-2.5.2-i686_slack14.0.pet
(85.45 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Bernhardiner

#9 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

I can try Manna OS 6.4.3 and Music2Go Artful immediately,
But it's possible to use others, if necessary.
Manna seems to be Slacko..
Thank you for the PET.

(How can I upload attachments? It says, allowed are 0 bytes. Or do images work anyway?)

Greetings,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#10 Post by ITSMERSH »

I think there's a limit of 256kb for attachments. There is a button 'Add Attachment' to do so. You'll need to browse and choose a file first, of course.
Attachments
Screenshot-2018-07-28-01-30-21.jpg
(90.29 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Bernhardiner

#11 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi all,

do I have to use the usb-modeswitch-pet by RSH without the huawei.conf from watchdog or both together?

(Right now I can't download the files by watchdog, google drive doesn't work with the browsers or slow internet connection.)

In Toutou Slaxen 6.0 the modem is recognized with cdc ether driver, but it makes no connection.
In pupdial it says "no carrier", in frisbee or pgprs connect it says "Exit status 1".
I tried the usb-modeswitch-pet by RSH in Toutou Slaxen 6.0 as well.
At least, Toutou is eager to do it.

I tested it in Manna 6.4.3 and Music2go Artful, and the modem was still not recognized. I put all the updates I have got into it, too.

Maybe the libpipeline mentioned by RSH is needed.

Regards,
Bernhardiner

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

Bernhardiner wrote: do I have to use the usb-modeswitch-pet by RSH without the huawei.conf from watchdog or both together?
Use usb-modeswitch by RSH without my huawei.conf. I have the suspect that your modem is not exactly the Huawei E173 reported in usb-modeswitch-data.

Maybe the libpipeline mentioned by RSH is needed.
Try to load the devx.sfs of your puppy by sfs-load-on-the-fly.

Bernhardiner

#13 Post by Bernhardiner »

Where do I find devx.sfs?

ITSMERSH

#14 Post by ITSMERSH »

Usually you can download the devx from same location from where you had downloaded the Puppy.

I have created a Studio2Go from Music2Go which has all the stuff installed. Attached is that libpipeline. Just install into Music2Go along with the usb-modeswitch package. Should work then.

Just wait a few seconds after plugging in the gprs usb modem. and use pgprs-setup to connect to the web.
Attachments
LibPipeline-Music2Go-Studio2Go.pet
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

ITSMERSH

#15 Post by ITSMERSH »

Any success with that?

Bernhardiner

#16 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi all,

testing usb-modeswitch and libpipeline by RSH does no change in Toutou Slaxen 6.0.

They get Music2Go to recognize the modem, but make no connection, the same result as in Toutou.

In Manna 6.4.3 it is more complicated, it makes the modem recognized partly, but no connection.
Pupdial gets the modem "initialized."
PGPRS Connect and frisbee say, the modem doesn't seem to be plugged in, but they recognize it as ttyUSB0.
Wvdial.conf says, the last part of it "doesn't exist", maybe it is possible to fiddle around with that or something?
I made it "existing" with the default settings in it.
Regards,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#17 Post by ITSMERSH »

If the usb modem is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0 it should connect to the web.

Probably there's some settings made the wrong way.

Did you enter the APN correctly? E.g.: internet.e-plus.de is mine. Probably you'll need to unlock the SIM-Card, so you can connect without a PIN/Password (that's how I do connect)

Here's what I'm entering into pgprs-setup:

APN: internet.e-plus.de
User: gprsuser
Password: gprspassword
Phone No. *99***1#
PIN: 1234

Bernhardiner

#18 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

how to unlock the sim card?

I always use the "original" entries given by the provider.
It usually works.
The Manna pupdial tells there are more providers saved in the sim or modem than eplus, whatever that means.

It's a challenge to solve that modem problem, isn't it?

Regards,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#19 Post by ITSMERSH »

To check if there is a PIN activated, you'll need to insert the SIM Card into a mobile phone. I don't know how to deactivate the PIN without a mobile phone. Though, since you are also e-plus (I assume, ALDI Talk?), there's probably no PIN activated?

Btw.: what is the original entries given by e-plus?

I have an ALDI Talk GPRS USB Modem. That gives no original entries.

Could it be you are from Germany? Just asking since we could probably better solve this in our mother tongue, if so...

However, I want you to test something.

Start your Music2Go Puppy fresh with no save file or save folder in use. Install the usb-modeswitch package plus the libpipeline package. Then install the attached pgprs package below.

Plugin the USB Modem and wait a few seconds.

Go to Menu Network (Netzwerk if in DE) and click PGPRS USB Modem Setup (PGPRS USB Modem Einstellungen in DE). Its GUI should come up with all settings already made.

APN and stuff should be equal to what I posted in my last post. If the Modem is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0 just click Connect (Verbinden in DE). If not, choose the Modem first before clicking Connect.

NOTE: do NOT click PGPRS USB Modem Setup in Menu Network without having the USB Modem plugged in! You would need to reboot then (and probably install everything again, when running without save file etc.), before the Modem will be recognized.
Attachments
pgprs-s57-6.pet
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Bernhardiner

#20 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

what does the pgprs-s57-6 pet do exactly?

Can I change the shown entries if they are wrong and use mine?
Otherwise I will have to dig out the PUK and put it in a cellphone if the PIN is wrong.
It could be that I'd like to use a different provider, too.
Normally., the original PIN works o.k. and it is activated.
Do you think removing the PIN solves the problem?
Maybe I could do that in a cell phone.

It seems that only the APN and PIN are needed, and username and password are not necessary.

The originals are "internet.eplus.de", "eplus" and "gprs" and *99#.

Yes, I'm from Germany..

Regards,
Bernhardiner
Last edited by Bernhardiner on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.