mcorepup ; a script to create corepup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nosystemdthanks

#21 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:all of them work some have quirks but that's okay as it is all part of getting to know how to really use the scripts.

thanks for the clarification...mostly for those who would like to try out the scripts.
absolutely. by the way, never feel shy about sending me a pm with a quirk youve found. that goes for other people who are trying to get it working.

youre obviously free to post stuff about that here, too-- the only difference is that when its here, i might try to clarify more for other people whats going on. in pm, i dont have to worry about people thinking its more complicated than it is.

i will never promise to fix or change whatever people want-- i have already designed it around the idea of making it as easy as possible for people to take it in different / "better" directions.

that said, im very interested in knowing what challenges come up for users. thats useful when i look for improvements to make.

one guy said python was complaining about the first line not being valid code, and after that i moved up the note about how it was a python-based language, "youll need fig 2.9 or 4 to use this."

that note had made its way farther down, and i thought it was a very good time to put it closer to the top again.

for every 15th report or so i will tell you that youre just wrong, to keep things fun and interesting. but your feedback is extremely valuable, and the thank you is sincere.

im particularly glad that you seem to be having fun. when im not swearing at it, i have a lot of fun doing this stuff. despite experience with bash, javascript, python obviously, and 25 years of coding in basic-- i swear a lot less when i code in fig. thats why its designed that way. im very happy with it.

im also aware thats theres a lot of shell code in mkfigos and mcorepup. thats because its more to the point, but i lean on fig when it saves me a lot of trouble. i would have never written mkfigos or mcorepup in any other language--

i dont have the patience for that, and 10 years into learning bash, i dont have the level of skill for it either! https://ptpb.pw/UFuV
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

nosystemdthanks

#22 Post by nosystemdthanks »

mcorepup 0.6 is based on tc9 and has the 4.14.10 kernel. it modifies coreplus 9, downloads 9.x packages, it includes some of wanderers modifications and (i boot with icewm desktop) it boots into the gui with the corepup background.

so far, wanderer has made no public modifications to corepup based on tc9, so this does not include his custom core.gz but it does include corepup.tcz

this is basically the tc-9 version of corepup-6.iso, minus the custom core.gz.

it should be easy (via profiles) to produce similar corepup-7 and corepup-8 files.

this is based on mcorepup 0.5 with slight changes made. it is a proof of concept, maybe rockedge will run it out of curiosity, and post a screen cap with the term running "uname -a" so wanderer can go "oh".

but basically it looks like corepup-6, its just based on tc9 (newer everything) instead.
Attachments
mcorepup06.fig.gz
(62.54 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

rockedge

#23 Post by rockedge »

Corepup-7 built using the mcorepup06.fig script.
Attachments
screenshot_0730201909-500px.png
(61.02 KiB) Downloaded 266 times