musher0

#41 Post by musher0 »

Hello sheldonisaac.

The use of ROX-Filer's "Customize Menu" is explained towards the bottom
of Chapter 6 in the ROX-Filer's Manual. To see it, type, in console (or
directly):

Code: Select all

defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Help/Manual.html
and scroll down towards the bottom of Chapter 6.

I have included a couple of screen captures related to the use of this
"Customize Menu".

The "Customize Menu" is an entry in ROX's "Right-Click Menu." It is not part
of any window manager.

IHTH.
Attachments
ROX-Help-Customize-Menu.jpg
(143.13 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
ROX-Customize-Menu-menu.jpg
(73.29 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
ROX-Customize-Menu.jpg
(97.67 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

woodenshoe-wi

#42 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

musher0 wrote: The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your
version. No 2nd ROX-Filer window pops up when I click "Customize Menu".
So the symlinks associated to a file type cannot be changed.
I think the problem is caused by to the SendTo symlink pointing to a nonexistent directory, and I patched ROX to create the directory if it doesn't exist.

Although I can understand why my changes to ROX would keep the second window from popping up, I don't understand how the "Classic" ROX-Filer could actually add links associated to a file type while the SendTo symlink points to a nonexistent directory...

So, if you would please test one of these pets to see if the problem is actually fixed,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7d0vo7aqdfhh ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/p82c8x5z2j7h5 ... 4.pet?dl=1

torm

#43 Post by torm »

The "jun7" version failed to compile the last I checked it.. maybe downloaded on a bad day.
I was thinking about "lightweight" version of ROX-Filer, with a simple copy/paste ( found here )
and a foolproof "back-same" toolbutton. Maybe toolbar should also be separated into
hard-coded / user-selectable / user-definable sections, so it would be more of a use
for both users and theme design.
For now I have no idea, need to read the source in detail, so it wouldn't be any time soon.
It takes time to start thinking GTK-2 again..

PS.
No problems here with "customize menu" .
Attachments
rox_cut-paste.png
ROX cutting and pasting.. Moved the "paste" item to submenu.
(141.13 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

woodenshoe-wi

#44 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

I have been able to compile the jun7 version in a xenial based pup, but I haven't tried it in tahr.

That is one of the downsides of having new features/code fixes, sometimes they depend on newer versions of libraries.

You can choose which buttons you want on the toolbar in "Options...", but I don't think there is the ability to add user defined buttons.

torm

#45 Post by torm »

..jun7 compile error was from gcc about something C99 mode only..
Nevermind.
__

Now, just my two cents ( lines.. ) for patching ROX.

options.c file..
in *build_label ( around line 1369 ) add:

gtk_event_box_set_visible_window(GTK_EVENT_BOX(spacer), FALSE);
and in *build_spacer ( around line 1386 ) add:

gtk_event_box_set_visible_window(GTK_EVENT_BOX(eb), FALSE);

.. and that should remove the strange stripes in Options window text area, that appear
with almost any other GTK-2 theme. Should work for GTK-2 ( since: GTK 2.4 ) versions of ROX.
While spacers can be replaced with "empty labels" in xml file - there's no external workaround
for infolabels that have the GtkEventBox window as built-in.
There must be some better way to create dummy spacers, however this should pretty up
this ugly hack for now .. :)

woodenshoe-wi

#46 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Thanks for documenting your fix.

I don't have time to work on this now.

davids45

64-bit Rox and column positioning

#47 Post by davids45 »

G'day woodenshoe-wi,

If you find some time to get back to this :) , I have tried your latest 64-bit version in a 64-bit Pup (LxPupSc-18.06+5) and although I can drag the columns to where I'd like them to be in the 'Details' window, the set-up won't persist.

The next Rox I open has the original poor column lay-out, with the useful-for-me 'Modified' and 'Size' columns stuck out to the right edge and the useless-to-me 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns in the middle and in the way.

Is there a way to fix the Rox details default to be as the user likes?

Thanks for your time and trouble,

David S.

peebee

Re: 64-bit Rox and column positioning

#48 Post by peebee »

davids45 wrote:I have tried your latest 64-bit version in a 64-bit Pup (LxPupSc-18.06+5)
LxPupSc64 is still the old version - not this new version.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

woodenshoe-wi

Re: 64-bit Rox and column positioning

#49 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

davids45 wrote: and the useless-to-me 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns in the middle and in the way.
Can't you go to "Options..."->"List View" and un-tick the check boxes for the 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns?

I think jun7 may have added the feature you are requesting and has recently merged the copy/paste functionality.

woodenshoe-wi

#50 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version:
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1i69k73pb5n1 ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyqk32xg11ti4 ... 4.pet?dl=1

@torm these have your suggested fix, https://github.com/woodenshoe-wi/rox-fi ... f1c5dc4d30

They also have an updated manual and a cosmetic fix to list view mode.

davids45

Latest Rox pets

#51 Post by davids45 »

G'day woodenshoe-wi,

Thanks for the helpful advice to check the 'List' in 'Display' of the Rox 'Options'.
Can't you go to "Options..."->"List View" and un-tick the check boxes for the 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns?
Some Pups already had this when I looked but others (older?) did not. And unticking the boxes (where there existed) did persist with new Rox windows having my desired set-out.

Some Pups, while not having this useful List option, did have the default lay-out I like ('Modified' before the other, undesirable columns) so are OK as-is.

I've tested your 64-bit version as a pet in a couple of 64-bit Pups and this gave me just what I wanted; the non-persistance of the column dragging modification is now not a problem with the tick-box removal of the unwanted columns.

In 32-bit Pups, I need to test your pet in some pristine versions. Most of my 32-bit Pups probably have been 'fixed' by me as I had found a manual work-around to solve my problem (= replacing the awkward ROX-Filer file in /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ with an old version that has the desired default lay-out).

I may try to see if I can use an sfs of your Roxes as this is easier to share with many Pups than repeatedly running a pet for each Pup. However I don't know if with an sfs I can replace an existing application or file or directory.

Thanks for your efforts,

David S.

woodenshoe-wi

#52 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version:
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/2aqnzm6keu2zj ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3r1ddhqkbwv4 ... 4.pet?dl=1

These fix a segfault that occurs when selecting list view mode in Puppies that use older libraries.
Edit: Fixing the bug causes some display issues in list view mode that were only working properly because of the bug...

woodenshoe-wi

#53 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version:
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q30lycd8b3lz ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxgjrtw8sn5kv ... 4.pet?dl=1

Hopefully these fix the display issues without causing new problems... :)
They should also work with older libraries.

norgo

#54 Post by norgo »

@woodenshoe-wi
wow you are really fast

looks good.
the only message I got was "package build time in the future" ( because of the time difference )

you are too fast ;-)
thank you very much
Attachments
rox-filter-11.jpg
(23.13 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

woodenshoe-wi

#55 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

It was a wet, cloudy day today. So I spent the day inside on my computer.

Yesterday I was too busy caching up with yard work while the sun was shining. :D

Terry H

#56 Post by Terry H »

Thanks woodenshoe-wi, I've replaced the temp version 9 with the new version 11 in bionicpup64. All good now.

recobayu

#57 Post by recobayu »

Thank's Woodenshoe-wi.. I am very like this version.
I have some problem with this new version.

Usually (in regular rox), when i use my "/" to enter path, I stil can use up and down arrow to move from one file to next file. But in version 11 I can not do that.

Ctrl+d is the shortcut to duplicate file in same location, But I think it's good to make automatically when we copy paste by ctrl+c and ctrl+v in same location, it is make another copy file but ends with " - Copy". Somethink like windows or another linux file manager does.
Is it possible in rox filer?

Thank you, Woodenshoe-wi.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Instead of using ctrl+d, Is it possible to use the ctrl+c and ctrl+v in the same location?
Thank you.
(37.6 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Screenshot1.png
I can not move the selection by pressing up or down arrow in my keyboard using this rox version..
(29.21 KiB) Downloaded 505 times

woodenshoe-wi

#58 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

recobayu wrote:Usually (in regular rox), when i use my "/" to enter path, I stil can use up and down arrow to move from one file to next file. But in version 11 I can not do that.
I found the commit that causes the problem, [1eb29ad] Upgraded deprecated functions to new versions

You should be able to work around the problem by typing the first letter of the filename you want, then the arrow keys will switch between all files that start with that letter.

The problem is that the old function (g_basename) and the new function (g_path_get_basename) don't give the same results for paths ending in a "/".

This example program demonstrates the problem:

#include <glib.h>
#include <glib/gprintf.h>

void main () {
	gchar *base = g_path_get_basename("/root/my-documents/");

printf("g_basename: %s\n", g_basename ("/root/my-documents/"));
	printf("g_path_get_basename: %s\n", base);

g_free(base);
}
Giving the following output:

g_basename: 
g_path_get_basename: my-documents
I don't know of a good way to fix this while still using the new function, any suggestions would be appreciated.

woodenshoe-wi

#59 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version:
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0bci6oqj3zsl ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/uayd8xuiupzop ... 4.pet?dl=1

I had searched a little on the Internet about g_path_get_basename returning the parent directory when the path ends with a "/" but all I could find was a couple other complaints about the behavior which seems to be an intentional change to make it work the same as the basename command.

I did find a reference to G_DIR_SEPARATOR so I thought I would try to recreate the old behavior with strrchr(path, G_DIR_SEPARATOR); to avoid using a deprecated function that might disappear in newer versions of Glib.

Hopefully I didn't introduce any new bugs, it did take me several tries before I got it working without segfaulting. I am not an experienced C programmer, and I tend to work by trial and error. :D

recobayu

#60 Post by recobayu »

Thank you Woodenshoe-wi.
You did it.. :D
Thank you very much.

Now, i hope the "paste" script can also paste a file to the same directory, automatically it paste with additional name. Example: copy file: mytext.txt, paste it become: mytext - Copy.txt. When paste again, it become mytext - Copy (2).txt, ect. Is it possible in rox filer? Thank you.