Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 02:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy 2.14 won't boot now from flash drive after upgrade.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
pegazuz

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 18:39    Post subject:  Puppy 2.14 won't boot now from flash drive after upgrade.
Subject description: 2.14 boot flash drive upgrade 2.12

I have two 256 mb flash drives that worked fine to boot up Puppy 2.12. for a couple months. I needed to upgrade to handle access to my secure wireless network. I have tried several times to install to flash drive with two different options but neither works to get it running. CD boots up fine. The tutorial guide sounds real easy, just replace the three files. I have been using the setup universal installer to re-install to the flash drives in both super floppy mode and sda mode. The boot up script suggests the files are there but it gets back out at wxin something and gives option to type a command which I have tried but I may not be interpreting it correctly

At this point I would like to try format or clean the flash drives and start over with a new install since i had no truble the first time I installed it to the flash drives. How can I do that under Puppy or do I have to go back to Windows to do that? I would like to learn to do things under linux but...

Last edited by pegazuz on Mon 26 Feb 2007, 21:52; edited 1 time in total
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 21:22    Post subject: Doing it in linux  

Hi pegazuz

You can do it in linux. First you said that the cd boots up fine. Boot up with the cd but do not have the thumb drive in the usb slot. After you have the desktop up and working, plug in the thumb drive.
Using the icon drives on the desktop mount the thumb drive. Delete all the files on the thumb drive. Then using the puppy universal installer reinstall puppy on it.

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
pegazuz

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 22:04    Post subject: Erasing files on flash drive in Puppy
Subject description: Still trying to boot from flash drive after upgrade with no luck yet.

GrumpyWolfe wrote:
Hi pegazuz

You can do it in linux. First you said that the cd boots up fine. Boot up with the cd but do not have the thumb drive in the usb slot. After you have the desktop up and working, plug in the thumb drive.
Using the icon drives on the desktop mount the thumb drive. Delete all the files on the thumb drive. Then using the puppy universal installer reinstall puppy on it.

I did try erasing files and replacing them with files on cd. I found out I could do it by mounting the Cd and dragging files to flash drive and then selecting copy option. It seemed to work but flash drive still wouldn't boot up right. So I went back to Windows and formated the whole flash drive. I was puzzled as it showed up twice thre as J and h but appeared to be same drive since I only had one plugged in and they were identical in size.

I am now in process of trying out all the install options to restore boot function from flash drive. For some reason what I used with 2.12 doesn't work now I think I used the first sda option and first two boot options as well as and the super floppy option so far but get message now of no operating system found on flash drive. I must have been lucky to get it working with no hassles the first time on two different flash drives or is there some change in 2.14 that might affect its ability to boot from a flash drive.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: