Puppy 2.14 won't boot now from flash drive after upgrade.

Booting, installing, newbie
pegazuz

Puppy 2.14 won't boot now from flash drive after upgrade.

#1 Post by pegazuz »

I have two 256 mb flash drives that worked fine to boot up Puppy 2.12. for a couple months. I needed to upgrade to handle access to my secure wireless network. I have tried several times to install to flash drive with two different options but neither works to get it running. CD boots up fine. The tutorial guide sounds real easy, just replace the three files. I have been using the setup universal installer to re-install to the flash drives in both super floppy mode and sda mode. The boot up script suggests the files are there but it gets back out at wxin something and gives option to type a command which I have tried but I may not be interpreting it correctly

At this point I would like to try format or clean the flash drives and start over with a new install since i had no truble the first time I installed it to the flash drives. How can I do that under Puppy or do I have to go back to Windows to do that? I would like to learn to do things under linux but...
Last edited by pegazuz on Tue 27 Feb 2007, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyWolfe

Doing it in linux

#2 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi pegazuz

You can do it in linux. First you said that the cd boots up fine. Boot up with the cd but do not have the thumb drive in the usb slot. After you have the desktop up and working, plug in the thumb drive.
Using the icon drives on the desktop mount the thumb drive. Delete all the files on the thumb drive. Then using the puppy universal installer reinstall puppy on it.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

pegazuz

Erasing files on flash drive in Puppy

#3 Post by pegazuz »

GrumpyWolfe wrote:Hi pegazuz

You can do it in linux. First you said that the cd boots up fine. Boot up with the cd but do not have the thumb drive in the usb slot. After you have the desktop up and working, plug in the thumb drive.
Using the icon drives on the desktop mount the thumb drive. Delete all the files on the thumb drive. Then using the puppy universal installer reinstall puppy on it.
I did try erasing files and replacing them with files on cd. I found out I could do it by mounting the Cd and dragging files to flash drive and then selecting copy option. It seemed to work but flash drive still wouldn't boot up right. So I went back to Windows and formated the whole flash drive. I was puzzled as it showed up twice thre as J and h but appeared to be same drive since I only had one plugged in and they were identical in size.

I am now in process of trying out all the install options to restore boot function from flash drive. For some reason what I used with 2.12 doesn't work now I think I used the first sda option and first two boot options as well as and the super floppy option so far but get message now of no operating system found on flash drive. I must have been lucky to get it working with no hassles the first time on two different flash drives or is there some change in 2.14 that might affect its ability to boot from a flash drive.