Firefox with Jack enabled

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Smithy

Firefox with Jack enabled

#1 Post by Smithy »

Hi, here is a link for a Firefox 64 bit binary compiled with Jack enabled by Zam Audio:

http://zamaudio.com/mbox2/firefox-54.0a ... ck.tar.bz2

And also a build recipe for compiling Firefox generally with Jack Audio enabled:

https://github.com/rowanthorpe/build-jack-fox

If any 64 bit puppy users feel inclined to confirm that that Firefox actually loads up in a 64 bit Pup that would be handy.

For sound, you are going to need Jack and the convenience of qjackctl to route the audio.

ITSMERSH

#2 Post by ITSMERSH »

First I was some kind of happy, when I read "Firefox with Jack enabled". Wanted to download...

puhh, 64bit... ...displeased...

...want to have this in 32bit... :cry:

:wink:

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Ha, yes I think there's only you and me that would like the browser through Jack as an option!

I just didn't want to have to download all the 64 bit Pups to see if it is any good, i.e not stuttering or other things.
Also people complaining that Puppy audio is too quiet and not as good as windows.
Well if it went through Jack you could use a blooming big master limiter etc in the chain to blast the audio and upset the neighbours, cat/dog/goldfish.

Anyways will see if anyone reports back on zam audio's firefox just to see if it is a goer. 32 bit would be fine by me also.

ITSMERSH

#4 Post by ITSMERSH »

Also people complaining that Puppy audio is too quiet and not as good as windows.
Can't confirm this. :?

Might be dependent on the hardware specs of the computer.

I'm using a set of Creative A300 external computer speakers with sub-woofer on one machine.

On the other machine (used to do Audio-/MIDI etc.) the stereo out of the computer is connected to the stereo input of a Yamaha MG 10 mixing console.

The output of the MG 10 is connected to a Technics SU-V3 Amplifier connected from main output to JVC SK-600sII Speakers. The remote output of the Amplifier is connected to Sony SS-CCP1 speakers.

All sounds pretty good and is definitely able to upset some neighbours. Though, I won't. That's why I got several headphones, in case if I want to listen to music extremely loud!
Anyways will see if anyone reports back on zam audio's firefox just to see if it is a goer. 32 bit would be fine by me also.
Yes.

This would be definitely the cream on the cake in my LazY Puppy Art Studio. 8)

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

You can try adding a preamp in your /etc/asound.conf file. I've used this on Debian Dog and there are messages on this board saying it has worked in Fatdog and older versions of slacko.

It might take some trial and error.

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/adding- ... nd-levels/

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

Apulse is really broken with kde. I still think jack could be the way forward for audio with browsers. Youtube is now..silent.