Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Nov 2018, 20:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to clean RAM after closing programs?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 04:04    Post subject:  How to clean RAM after closing programs?  

Hello everybody:

I have got CONKY installed on my pc, so I have a bar showing how many RAM I am using each moment.

When I have a lot of programs opened (22 browsers tabs and 3 browsers, the gimp, openshot....) some times my puppy hangs on, becaus all the RAM is bussy.

I can use th mouse because it doesn't respond my orders, so....

HOW CAN I RECOVER RAM CLOSING ALL PROGRAMS?

HAVE A NICE DAY. THANKY FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

XENIAL PUP 7.5 X64

Version : #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 13 15:54:01 GMT 2017
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.23 (stable)

Distribution: xenial pup 7.5 x64

http://www.protopage.com/pp4mnkt3am#puPPy_Linux
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 04:32    Post subject:  

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

BTW - You need to use a swapfile or swap partition if you don't have enough RAM.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 06:08    Post subject:  

@ pp4mnklinux:-

Totally 'off-topic', I know, but..... I can't quite figure this out. I occasionally have two browsers open, myself.....but three..???

The way browser developers are going these days, browsers are becoming enormous pieces of software; they easily consume the largest individual chunk of your RAM, whenever they are open. Take Nic's advice by all means.....but you may want to re-think your usage patterns. Some of this sounds like it's self-inflicted, y'know.

Mike. Wink

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 09:03    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
..... I can't quite figure this out. I occasionally have two browsers open, myself.....but three..???

Hi Mike.

If you have lots of tabs open then the tabs can become unreadable. For instance I'm running iridium and the tabs compress down narrower and narrower the more that are opened. Opening a second/third browser instance and spreading the tabs out across those helps. Or you might want to group tabs and do so via having separate browser sessions running. Also for some services a simple text browser might suffice, news or IRC etc.

Image is a clickable thumbnail of when I move the mouse into the bottom left corner (skippy-xd window selector) ... three browser sessions each with multiple tabs. Clicking any one presents that full screen and I can then click the desired tab within that as desired

d_vineet

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 09:49    Post subject: Re: HOW TO CLEAN RAM?
Subject description: I NEED TO CLEAN MY PC

pp4mnklinux wrote:

HOW CAN I RECOVER RAM CLOSING ALL PROGRAMS?
@pp4mnklinux :-
If you wish to 'kill' all programs, you may try 'Menu' -- 'Utility' -- XKill.
I don't know whether or not you can click on menu (since you mentioned that the mouse is unresponsive, but you can move it). It is not quite clear to me.
You may also post here your h/w specs (esp. physical memory), how many tabs are open at a time.
Just now I tried opening multiple tabs on my lappy.
Chromium - 15 tabs.
Iridium - 15 tabs.
Firefox - 15 tabs.
(and task manager).
Memory used is 1123 MB.
(content is not loaded in some tabs though. If loaded, the RAM usage will increase accordingly).[/img]
ram_usage.png
 Description   screenshot of my RAM usage with 3 browsers with 15 tabs each.
 Filesize   223.18 KB
 Viewed   308 Time(s)

ram_usage.png

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 10:04    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
..... I can't quite figure this out. I occasionally have two browsers open, myself.....but three..???

Hi Mike.

If you have lots of tabs open then the tabs can become unreadable. For instance I'm running iridium and the tabs compress down narrower and narrower the more that are opened. Opening a second/third browser instance and spreading the tabs out across those helps. Or you might want to group tabs and do so via having separate browser sessions running. Also for some services a simple text browser might suffice, news or IRC etc.

Image is a clickable thumbnail of when I move the mouse into the bottom left corner (skippy-xd window selector) ... three browser sessions each with multiple tabs. Clicking any one presents that full screen and I can then click the desired tab within that as desired

Rather than start a whole new instance of the browser, I open a new window in the browser (File -> New -> Browser Window). That shows up in the tray at the bottom, gives me more room for tabs and, I assume, uses less of my computer's resources than starting another instance of the browser. Am I wrong?
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 10:31    Post subject:  

On mine, starting a new instance or starting a new window doesn't seem to make any difference as to how much additional ram is used.
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 13:40    Post subject: I have enought ram for normal use  

nic007 wrote:

BTW - You need to use a swapfile or swap partition if you don't have enough RAM.

thanky, I have enought ram for normal use .- 4gb, but I need to recover it at specific times

THANKY

pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 13:55    Post subject: I FOUND THE PROBLEM
Subject description: SCRIPT PROBLEM

HELLO EVERYBODY:

I WAS WORKING HARD WITH MY PC in order to send u a screen with my use of the computer, when it blocked again.

I found that the problem is not the RAM, but a scrip which hang on the computer.

I send two screens, hosted at google drive

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOLHzZz3IB_u1FPGYZPTd6wRrFo57E4BAAmkS6V

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMk7B7NDMFNuOXvZaU8b4YDc_tSOPSp17lwyop5

thanky

ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 14:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
22 browsers tabs

Shocked

May be you should get a hobby in real life? Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 17:17    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:

Hi Mike.

Rather than start a whole new instance of the browser, I open a new window in the browser (File -> New -> Browser Window). That shows up in the tray at the bottom, gives me more room for tabs and, I assume, uses less of my computer's resources than starting another instance of the browser. Am I wrong?

No, I believe you're right, Flash.

I do very much the same thing when I run Netflix in its own, separate window (essentially turning that one tab into its own 'app', which you can do with Chrome.) In fact, I've set-up a script that starts Netflix by itself, in its own window, without opening the actual browser.....and started by a Menu entry for ease of use. That way, you essentially replace the opening of the 'app' from the Apps page.

Unfortunately, although you can watch Netflix in Firefox these days, you can't do this particular 'trick' with it. That's a Chrome-only 'special'.

I've had this open at the same time as Chrome itself being open, and the increase in RAM/thread usage (as measured by gKrellM, and xload in the 'tray'), is negligible.

Mike. Wink

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 18:52    Post subject:  

@pp4mnklinux : use palemoon, it should use less ram than chrome or firefox
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 23:28    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
On mine, starting a new instance or starting a new window doesn't seem to make any difference as to how much additional ram is used.

It may depend on the browser you're using. I use SeaMonkey. Mike Walsh uses Chrome.
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2018, 02:18    Post subject:  

Hello pp4mnklinux.

To come back to your question in the title of this thread:
"How to clean RAM after closing programs?",

I don't know about gimp, etc., but for the browsers: browsers have a setting
in their config panel to purge their cache(s) when you close them. Set that to
yes, and you'll have an easy, no-fuss, automatic, way to clean a big part of
your RAM.

IHTH.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug 2018, 07:16    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
rufwoof wrote:

It may depend on the browser you're using. I use SeaMonkey. Mike Walsh uses Chrome.

I'm running iridium - a chrome derivative. Chrome has better security (process/privilege separation, with around 6 or 7 processes and tasks appropriately allocated within that, FF (of which seamonkey is a derivative) use just two)). Under OpenBSD (that I run), chrome is Pledged i.e. the code has been adapted so that it better ensures the browser stays within what it is expected to do/access. From a usage angle that is more annoying as you can get the Aw-Snap "crash" relatively often depending upon what web sites you visit (yahoo news is common aw-snap, reload culprit). Of the two, the FF code is more entangled/complex, so I wouldn't be surprised if additional instances involved eating more memory. Under OBSD FF hasn't been Pledged as of yet due to the code complexities, whereas for chrome Pledging was relatively quick/simple. Chrome -> Chromium -> Iridium ... in effect reduces the amount of google data gathering (OBSD adds to that by refining the code to make it more secure). Lean/simpler code often leads to less/better memory utilisation. I most certainly do notice much better response times when using google services such as googledocs under iridium compared to FF - but wouldn't be surprised if that was a server side intentional thing - for instance I believe if you try to access googledocs using IE it will prompt you to use another 'better' browser (inhibiting the competition to promote their own).

To add to what has gone before

to free pagecache ...
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

to free inodes ...
echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

to free pagecache and inodes:

to clear swap
swapoff -a && swapon -a

... so as a single line script type action the OP might perhaps want to run something like

#!/bin/sh
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && swapoff -a && swapon -a

Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: