Puppy linux does not open programs

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lm111

Puppy linux does not open programs

#1 Post by Lm111 »

I have installed Xenialpup 7.5 and Slackware 14.1 and when I install a .deb it installs perfectly but the program does not open, besides I do not know how to install Java can you help me please?
In sclakware 14.1 I have wifi but in XenialPup 7.5 I do not have

My laptop has the Intel Gma x4500 video card, puppy linux already has the driver installed or do I have to install it?

If you do not understand me, it's because I'm using Google Translate

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Concentrate on one Puppy at a time. See here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 83#1002583. So repost. Start one thread for Xenialpup 7.5 and another for Slacko 14.1. But specify whether the Xenialpup or Slacko your working with is the 32 or 64 bit version.

Taking into consideration whether your Puppy is a 64-bit or 32-bit system, the easiest way to get JAVA running is to use one of the JAVA runtime environments you'll find linked from here: https://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

To get wifi working on xenialpup, we'd need to know what wifi adapter it sees as present. You can obtain that information by opening Menu>System>PupSysInfo Puppy System Information. Click Sys-Specs on the top, then Base Report. Scroll down to Network controller. [PupSysInfo has other, more specific, ways to present information. But your knowing what the Base Report presents is easiest to explain, and will help you if you run into other problems].

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Lm111:-

First of all, Image to the 'kennels'!

I agree with t'other Mike. Let's get your hardware functional first.....and let's concentrate on one Pup at a time. Step by step is best, making sure that those steps are 'fixed' as thoroughly as possible, as we proceed.

Wi-fi can be an absolute PITA to get functional. If you happen to have an 'awkward' internal adapter, it can be simpler to just use an external USB adapter. There's several out there which we know, from experience, work well with Puppy.

However, since from your post we see that Slackware recognises it, but Xenial doesn't, this shows that it's probably due to a difference between kernels. The Linux kernel usually contains all drivers you will normally need; there are, however, a very few which sometimes need to be installed manually.....and wireless drivers fall into this category.

Follow Mike's instructions above, and we'll see what adapter you're using. From this, we can determine the chipset in use (this is what determines the actual driver that's needed), and.....we'll take it from there.

---------------------------------------------

With regard to Java, I've recently packaged the current runtime environment myself, since I use it quite a bit. You can find SFS packages for both 32- and 64-bit versions of JRE 8_181 here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

You'll also need the javaif-20160616.pet you see there. This is Richard Erwin's Java Control Panel package; it's a 'no-arch' .pet, meaning it will run with both 32- and 64-bit systems. The first time you run this after loading the JRE SFS package, it will ask you to re-boot, saying that Java is only partly installed. After re-boot, you'll be able to see the version you have installed, and configure other things if you want to.

You'll find it under Menu->Utility, once installed.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup 7.5 is the 32bit version.
About WIFI.

Xenialpup 7.5 is missing some drivers for WIFI devices.
I am going to guess you have one of these devices.
Download and install this pet package.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... nial32.pet
If you did a frugal install of Xenialpup 7.5. Make sure you made a save, so this install is saved.
Reboot.
See if the WIFI is now available for selection in the Network Wizard.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I install a .deb it installs perfectly but the program does not open
It probably needs something that Xenialpup does not have.
If you run the program, from the console, it will tell you what is wrong. However, it may take multiple times of installing, seeing what it needs, and running from the console.
Usually the name of the program, typed into the console, starts it.

It would be better to get programs form the Puppy Package Manager(PPM) or this forum.
PPM auto checks for needed dependency stuff and installs them too.
This forum has stuff compiled for Puppy to work in Puppy.

Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)