Sorry gave a wrong Link :

"Open with" for Palemoon here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 3.1-signed

ntamas

#662 Post by ntamas »

backi wrote:Sorry gave a wrong Link :

"Open with" for Palemoon here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 3.1-signed
The Palemoon Web Browser has already accepted this extension, this old version, it is installed, and the configuration window works.
I could launch the Seamonkey player, but only once, and then no longer working with the add-on.
The vlc, gmplayer gnome-mplayer does not work with this add-on.
The vlc is a constant error message with windows bombing.
You may have tried it but I have this inoperable add-on.

backi

#663 Post by backi »

Hi !
It Depends on which Version of Vlc-Player ......the newer Versions Vlc 3.0....do work .(Youtube does somehow changes Codes so older Versions of Vlc (vlc 2.2 for Example ) no longer work .
Sometimes it is necessary to start a few times ( i know ....quite annoying )
But with Smplayer (newest Versions )not so much Trouble .
It has nothing to do with "Open with" add on .The problem is the Player .

What Distro are you using ?

ntamas

#664 Post by ntamas »

backi wrote:Hi !
What Distro are you using ?
Hi !
I use Puppy-6.0.5.
Palemoon Version 27.5.1. this puppy was still installed.
Vlc is old version v2.2.0.
SMPlayer is the new version, v18.6.0 statically. (Qt4)

Anyway, I think I have the solution.
This picture was made from the very first test, even with the smplayer player running mplayer.

Then I installed an older version of mpv for tahrpuppy, -mpv-20150814-git-i686-precise.pet- and that's what works.

In the smplayer player, the mplayer engine was replaced by the above-mentioned mpv engine, and after that it was smooth and, most of the time, several times in succession, I can use the smplayer player without any problems with the add-on.

If you look at the third image carefully, you can see that the web browser and the SMPlayer player are running at the same time, the latter being launched a little later on the same youtube client.
But this stunt works only on a strong machine, we put youtube on a weak machine, we stop the built-in html5 player in the web browser and start the SMPlayer player with the addon.
After a little synchronization, the SMPlayer plays the youtube video without any problems.
I apologize for using your large image.

backi

#665 Post by backi »

You surely mean Puppy Tahr 6.0.5 ?
You got "open with" working from the right-click Menu?
Fine :) :) :)

You can avoid Videos auto-playing from Youtube by installing Add on "youtube-lazy-load" from here :
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/youtube-lazy-load/
Regards !

Edit :
It seems to me mplayer has a better Sound-quality than Mpv-player.....but maybe just my Imagination .

ntamas

#666 Post by ntamas »

backi wrote: Edit :
It seems to me mplayer has a better Sound-quality than Mpv-player.....but maybe just my Imagination .
Hello!
Thank you very much for the tip, I'll take it.
My old machine currently has three Puppy linux versions, Precise Puppy 571, Tahrpuppy-6.0.6, and Tahrpuppy-6.0.6.
There are English and Hungarian versions of these, so there are 6 puppies for pc-men.
On this old machine only those versions are running well, this is being tried.
Modern versions do not work well on this machine.
Why is Tahrpuppy-6.0.5?
Because it was just opening the Palemoon problem test.
I did not perceive the poorer sound quality of the mpv player.
Not even because this old mpv version uses virtually the MPlayer engine in the PC and the corresponding codecards in the background! Verily!
This old mpv engine can still use the original mplayer in the machine, and the newer mpv versions already have their own player unit.
SMPlayer, however, can be tossed with this old mpv engine, he thinks he runs a mpv engine, though only the good old mplayer engine is working in the background.
I've used Tahrpuppy-6.0.6 for this trick, newer versions of smplayer are demanding financial support for a while, if you do not hit the button, then the smplayer will start unknowingly and make mistakes in youtube video titles. For example, it does not even play the titles provided by SMTube, it just rotates the white arrow and then throws a general error window. (Oops ...)
I can defeat this mistake with this old mpv engine replacement.
For me this trick works well.

Walter Dnes

#667 Post by Walter Dnes »

A post on the Pale Moon linux forum by one of the developers suggests a tweak for better Youtube playback. NOTE:THIS APPLIES TO 32-BIT LINUX ONLY which should be most of the audience here.
To those disappointed with video playback performance when using the 32-bit version of Pale Moon 28, can you please test and see if performance is any better with the media.ffvpx.enabled pref set to false?
This definitely improves Youtube performance on my 10-year-old Core2 running 32-bit Gentoo linux. Using the roller coaster video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dC6uJDNf64 as a benchmark, the old machine went from handling only 480p fullscreen to handling 720p fullscreen on a 1920x1080 monitor.

Edit: Specific instructions; In "about:config" toggle "media.ffvpx.enabled" to false

backi

#668 Post by backi »

Hi Walter !
Specific instructions; In "about:config" toggle "media.ffvpx.enabled" to false
media.ffvpx.enabled is not found in Palemoon 27.9.4 .....is it only included in Version 28 ?

norgo

#669 Post by norgo »

@Walter Dnes

Short test of Palemoon 28.0.0 under Slacko 700 RC3

Up to now without any kind of problems.
Browser plays Youtube videos out of the box.
Could not detect a limit of size ( except display resolution :-) )

Disabling of "media.ffvpx" makes no difference in my case.

Of course high-resolution videos needs a powerful CPU.
Is somebody familiar with the topic hardware decoding via GPU ?

Would be interesting.
Attachments
palemoon_28-0-0_4k_video.jpg
Palemoon 4K Youtube video
(55.52 KiB) Downloaded 779 times

Walter Dnes

#670 Post by Walter Dnes »

backi wrote:media.ffvpx.enabled is not found in Palemoon 27.9.4 .....is it only included in Version 28 ?
This tweak is for Pale Moon 28.0.0, which is the current version.

Walter Dnes

#671 Post by Walter Dnes »

norgo wrote:Short test of Palemoon 28.0.0 under Slacko 700 RC3

Up to now without any kind of problems.
Browser plays Youtube videos out of the box.
Could not detect a limit of size ( except display resolution :-) )

Disabling of "media.ffvpx" makes no difference in my case.

Of course high-resolution videos needs a powerful CPU.
What are the specs on your machine (CPU and RAM)? How old is the machine?

zagreb999

palemoon 28-full screen

#672 Post by zagreb999 »

palemoon 28-full screen

great problem-
pm28 can not go back from
full screen!

op. system-xenialdog32
comp. hp pavilion 8 gb ram

regards!

Walter Dnes

Re: palemoon 28-full screen

#673 Post by Walter Dnes »

zagreb999 wrote:palemoon 28-full screen

great problem-
pm28 can not go back from
full screen!
  • If it's an HTML5-playback fullscreen (e.g. Youtube) tap the escape key
  • otherwise tap the {F11} key
Note that if you exit Pale Moon while in full screen mode, it'll start up in fullscreen mode next time.BTW, official linux support for Pale Moon is located at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=37 That's assuming you're not running an offbeat homebrew version.

norgo

#674 Post by norgo »

Hello Walter,
here the components:

Browser
Palemoon 28.0.0 http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/release/palemoon-28.0.0.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Operating system
slacko-700-RC3_k4.4.70-PAE_2018-04-05_d553a8c-patched.iso https://www.datafilehost.com/d/b81471db

Hardware
CPU i7 4770S
GPU (internal) Intel HD4600 ( uxa acceleration in use )
RAM 16 GB

Walter Dnes

#675 Post by Walter Dnes »

An i7 with 16G of ram is overkill. My Ivy Bridge desktop with 8G ram gets 1080p on Youtube with PM28. With media.ffvpx.enabled ==> false a 10-year-old Core2 Duo with 3G ram can get 720p with PM 28. Actually, the Core2 Duo was getting 1080p with a highly optimized homebrew build of PM 27.9.4. It's the older machines that are having trouble with PM 28 video playback.

norgo

#676 Post by norgo »

For older hardware the only solution is hardware decoding.
This feature is not activated in the tested Palemoon version.
If you are familiar with this topic you could try to build such a version. ;-)

For watching youtube videos usage of SMtube / SMplayer is a good alternative.
Important is that Mplayer has to be compiled with VDPAU support ( NVIDIA ) and the proprietary driver is used.
Unfortunately Mplayer doesn't support VAAPI for Intel GPU's anymore. In this case MPV is a good choice.
Of course GPU has to be capable for hardware decoding.

Walter Dnes

#677 Post by Walter Dnes »

On the Pale Moon linux forum, someone asked about what media.ffvpx.enabled ==> false does. The linux developer answered...
It disables the version of ffvpx that ships in our tree (currently 3.4) and falls back to the system installed FFmpeg packages instead (very similar to what v27 did) and then falls back to libvpx as a last resort if the required FFmpeg packages can't be found.
I.e. Pale Moon tries to hand off the video playback work to ffmpeg on your system, rather than having Pale Moon do the grunt work. So if your installed ffmpeg has hardware acceleration, you get hardware accelerated video playback.

norgo

#678 Post by norgo »

I wasn't able to get internal version to work. ( used libva version 1.8.2 for hardware decoding test )
Disabling of internal version to force usage of installed ffmpeg version is useless in my case because installed ffmpeg version 2.8.11 doesn't support VA-API or VDPAU.

Walter Dnes

#679 Post by Walter Dnes »

Announcement at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20240 Some improvements to performance of the 32-bit version, which most people here use.

watchdog

#680 Post by watchdog »

Are bookmarks-backups of current firefox compatible with those of palemoon 28.0.1? I tried to restore a bookmarks-backup of firefox in palemoon 28.0.1: I do not see problems.