Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Nov 2018, 08:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Getting error message downloading "Bugfixes for Puppy 1.0.7"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
entwyf

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 14:01    Post subject:  Getting error message downloading "Bugfixes for Puppy 1.0.7"  

I am a stark raving non-technical newbie trying to use Puppy Linux on a seven-year-old computer with Windows 98SE. I decided to do this because of course Windows 98 in all its variations is no longer supported, and Puppy Linux seems like it will be a great alternative--if I can figure out what the heck I am doing.

I am trying as best I can to follow the instructions on this page:

http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm

and I have hit a snag.

I am at the point of trying to install "bug fixes." The instructions seem simple enough:

--Go to Start > Setup > Puppy package manager
--Click the button to run the DotPup Downloader.
--Reply Yes to Update List.
--Select Bugfixes and SP107 and click the install button.
--On successive screens, click:
--Unzip the Pup File, Run the Installer, Delete the DotPup File and close the remaining two screens.

I've gotten all the way to "click the install button" and each time I click, I get this error message: "File integrity error. Suggestion: download the Puppy file again."

What steps do I need to take to get rid of this error message and install the bug fixes?

Thanks,
entwyf
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 14:11    Post subject:  

The problem is that the downloads have changed places.

If I were you though I would start with the latest release 2.14 you will not need to worry so much about bugfixes etc
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 14:33    Post subject:  

the link to that file, sp107, should be good ... i fixed most of the links on my dotpups page

you can download it directly from my dotpups page ... just click it to download it, then click the file (where ever you download it to) to install it
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups
entwyf

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 15:12    Post subject:  

Thanks gary101 and GuestToo . . .

Okay, this raises questions which are probably dumb for people who are not absolute strangers to Puppy Linux.

Do I download the upgrade for Puppy Linux (or the relocated bugfixes) for the version I've got now while I'm "in" Puppy Linux, or do I download while I'm "in" Windows 98 (which is what I did when I initially installed Puppy Linux)?

Because if I do it while I'm "in" Puppy Linux, I'll get the error message again, won't I? And of course, if I download it as a dotpup file while I'm "in" Windows, I won't be able to open it.

Then, once I download whatever I need to download, how do I open the file?

entwyf
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 16:16    Post subject:  

Seeing as you will have to do some downloading anyway my preference would be to boot back into windows and then download the latest iso 2.14, It only takes about a few minutes if you have adsl and you will not have to worry about finding the bugfix.pup

Most of the dotpups have been moved to here
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 16:21    Post subject:  

you can download it any way that you want to download a file ... download it using Puppy or another other Linux distro or Windows or on a Mac, it doesn't matter, it's just an ordinary zip file

of course, you need to click it while you are running Puppy to install it in Puppy

Puppy has a downloader program to download dotpup files, but it is a third-party program created by MU (Mark Ulrich) and has nothing to do with the dotpup system at all, it's just a downloader program, an alternative to using, for example, Firefox to download the file ... just use your favourite program to download the file, whether that program is Firefox or Opera or Internet Explorer or MU's dotpup downloader or wget or gftp, it doesn't matter

basically, just download the file and click it to install
alienjeff

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 18:20    Post subject: bug fixes  

gary101 wrote:
The problem is that the downloads have changed places.

If I were you though I would start with the latest release 2.14 you will not need to worry so much about bugfixes etc

That's pretty funny, Gary. Stay tuned for 2.14-SP1 and 2.

entwyf

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 20:18    Post subject: Downloading problem
Subject description: No, seriously, I am a total neophyte and the process has to be broken down more!

Being fresh off the boat as a refugee from Windowsland, I understand nothing about how Puppy Linux files are organized, which files contain which information, how files are saved, how they are opened. So at this point, any assertions that downloading is a simple matter are things I am skeptical of.

Whether I try to download fixes or an updated version of Puppy Linux, I get a dialog box that says that Mozilla doesn't know how to handle the file type, so I can either open it with an application I choose (but I don't know how), or I can save it to disk (but I don't know where).

I mean truly, this is all so new to me as to be close to gibberish.

So, how do I:

a) choose an application, that is, find it and open it? or . . .

b) save it to disk, that is, choose a location and then open it once I've downloaded it?
entwyf

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 21:56    Post subject: Downloading problem
Subject description: Have downloaded Puppy 2.14 but am so new to this I have no clue what to do next

Okay, just forging ahead, I downloaded Puppy Linux 2.14 to my desktop while in Windows. Because it is an iso file, and not just a zip file or an exe file, I googled and found a program to open it. So now I'm looking at a list of stuff that gives me no clue how to install it on my computer.

It was dead easy for me as a basic Linux idiot to get Puppy Linux 1.0.7 up and running because it was set up so I could do it from inside Windows, with which I am very familiar. Obviously 2.14 is set up to somehow be installed from inside Puppy Linux, about which I know almost nothing.

Is there a simple set of steps I can follow so that I can get some version of Puppy Linux on my computer that has better support than 1.0.7 (which I now have) so I can start learning to use it?

This all started because the dotpup downloader couldn't access bugfixes for 1.0.7 because they are apparently in a different place?

As an utter newbie who would love to be Windows free, I just need some basic steps, some baby steps. The "how-tos" may seem obvious to folks whose interests and professions are in technical areas and who have been programming and whatnot for months, years, decades . . . but I assure you I am not yet in a position to make sense of Puppy Linux.

Any clear, simple, step-by-step information would be appreciated.
gary101

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 04:50    Post subject:  

Now that you have the iso in windows you need to turn it into a cd, instructions are in the very useful section at the top of this section of the forum titled 'Index of resources for Beginners Help forum'
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597
the link you need is 'How to burn a bootable CD from Windows '

Once you have burnt the cd you can boot from it straight into puppy.
There are also step by step instructions in the above link for installing to hard drive.
entwyf

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 07:42    Post subject:  

Okay, this is getting pretty complicated for something that is supposed to be very simple and user friendly.

I have a seven-year-old computer with a CD drive that only reads. I have no CD-burning capability. Crying or Very sad When I downloaded and installed PupWin98, it did not require any bells and whistles. I just downloaded it to my desktop and clicked on the icon and followed the directions step by simple step. Well, to a point.

Now, because I apparently cannot access bugfixes for this version of Puppy, if I want to use Puppy, I have to download another version of Puppy, which apparently requires that I somehow find CD-burning capability. Is there no other answer? Question Question Question

In three months, I hope to be able to buy a new computer with all sorts of bells and whistles, but right now, I cannot afford to buy any of that. I just want to be able to use Puppy on a computer that has none of that.

In a message posted to this forum (Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:35 pm), someone said, "Puppy Linux for Win98 works with Windows 98 with no need for floppy disk and no need for cd-rom drive."

And someone else said (Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:32 pm), "Just installed it on my desktop. I have to say this is one of the coolest things. It's by far the easiest, safest, least intrusive way to get Linux on a hard drive. It's fast, easy, and simple for newbies or those who don't necessarily want to fool around with bootloaders or partitioning and don't want to boot from a CD or floppy all the time."

Has this convenience gone by the wayside? Does it no longer apply? Is PupWin98 just a glitch in a system that only works for people who know how to speak a certain kind of jargon and read the arcane contents of computer supply catalogs?

Sorry, but I haven't really slept in four days (really bad virus kicking my butt), so I'm feeling very frustrated and cranky.

entwyf
entwyf

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 08:45    Post subject: Okay, I figured it out  

Okay, after all that ranting, I feel rrrrreeeeaaally stupid. Embarassed

I finally figured out how to download and install the bugfixes without using the dotpup dowloader. Very Happy

I'll shut up now and go off in a corner and do what I've been doing since Friday, blow my nose and cough and drink enough water to gag a whale. (Viruses suck in realtime, too.)

Truly, thanks to all who responded. May not sound like it, but I now have a lot more hope that I can get out from under Windows.

entwyf
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 10:04    Post subject:  

Quote:
I finally figured out how to download and install the bugfixes without using the dotpup dowloader

yes, that is the way dotpups were intended to work ... click to download, click to install ... intentionally very simple and easy

oh, and get well soon ...
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: