Is Precise 5.7.1 the new standard puppy for old hw?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
watchdog

Is Precise 5.7.1 the new standard puppy for old hw?

#1 Post by watchdog »

I'm running precise with sylpheed 3.5.1 with gpg support and latest firefox. The best performance of the latest firefox on my hw with a single core celeron CPU and 1,5 Gb of RAM ten years old. BARRYK told to us releasing precise that it would have been the new puppy for old hardware. There is only a little number of very old hw which can't run precise with satisfaction.

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

I have video problems with Precise (and Xenial) on my 12 year old laptop. Racy and Tahr works best for me.

perdido

Re: Is Precise 5.7.1 the new standard puppy for old hw?

#3 Post by perdido »

watchdog wrote:I'm running precise with sylpheed 3.5.1 with gpg support and latest firefox. The best performance of the latest firefox on my hw with a single core celeron CPU and 1,5 Gb of RAM ten years old. BARRYK told to us releasing precise that it would have been the new puppy for old hardware. There is only a little number of very old hw which can't run precise with satisfaction.
I agree, Precise 5.7.1 was an easy install and works perfect on my 8-year old Dell E6400 laptop.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Some people have done a few security updates.

Here is one I believe. I think there are others.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 258#803258

I really liked precise and keep it on my computer and as a go to on my thumb drive I carry on my keychain. Would be nice if someone could edit the first post with the updates to 5.71 to give it some visibility.

edit: see also here http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html Apparently also updated to have save folders.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

precise-5.7.1-retro_to_5.7.2-retro.iso.delta is no longer hosted at the mavrothal's link. I have a copy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7sK9G ... sp=sharing

AndresC2

#6 Post by AndresC2 »

Hello All! :D

thank you very much watchdog!!!!

puppy precise 5.7.1 run very well in my old dell.

is possible install firefox quantum? how?

by the way how to uses this delta?

long time ago i did a remaster for puppy-precise 5.7.1 but

is very very simple full amateur but the 200mb go to i think 150 o less

i dont remember.

i found the script

please look the script what do you think?

thanks.
Attachments
RemasterPuppy-precise-5.7.1.gz
please remove .gz.
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

AndresC2 wrote: is possible install firefox quantum? how?
The easy way is to install my pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#999552

If you want to use another localized firefox untar the tar.bz2 package in /usr/local/ after installing my pet. My firefox for precise should autoupdate to the latest firefox.
by the way how to uses this delta?
Click on the delta and this should open a window: select and drag with the mouse the original appropriate precise.iso iso file downloaded from ibiblio in the Old File space and click GENERATE to generate the new precise 5.7.2 iso file.
long time ago i did a remaster for puppy-precise 5.7.1 but

is very very simple full amateur but the 200mb go to i think 150 o less

i dont remember.

i found the script

please look the script what do you think?

thanks.
I have not scripting skills. But I'll look at later.

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

I knew there was another later update. I just had to find it online.

Here is a version that ruwoof did with an upgrade for Heartbleed and some more updates.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 477#875477

The download link is dead. I uploaded mine to Dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/lo4 ... a.iso?dl=0

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

As for the Topic ?

My answer is that with meltdown/spectre 1&2 that Slacko5.7-WoofCE might be a better choice for older HW/computers. The kernel is a supported version (last check 3.18.118) that will mitigate the syndrome at the kernel level.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

Yes, slacko 5.7 could be another good choice for old hw. It can run the latest firefox and it's well supported. Just try what's better for you.

LATER: I have succefully used in slacko 5.7 the following sylpheed with gpg support:

https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackon ... y.txz.html

Install gpgme and dependencies, pinentry and gtkspell. It works for me.

Colonel Panic

#11 Post by Colonel Panic »

I have an old computer (nearly ten years old now) and I still use Precise 5.7.1 Large. For me the only limiting factor is that the browsers included as standard are now out of date, but there may be others which work well in it (Vivaldi? Pale Moon?).

I agree that sylpheed makes a good alternative to Thunderbird for older computers with limited space and memory; even though it takes a bit more setting up at first in my experience, it works just as well in the end and is a lot lighter on resources. Finally, I'd include Softmaker Free Office as an alternative to either LibreOffice or Abiword (which is sadly unreliable) and Gnumeric, which isn't bad on its own.

[EDIT: I've now tried to run both Pale Moon and Vivaldi in 5.7.1 Large but both require extra libraries in order to work. Firefox 61.0.1 does work though so thanks watchdog for that one.]
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

a_salty_dogg

#12 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Hello Colonel Panic,

Palemoon ran perfectly OOTB in Precise 5.71 Retro on my old faithful Dell P4 (it's twice as old as your machine, btw :) ), downloaded and installed "manually" from the tarball at Palemoon.org.
Posting from it now!
Don't recall any missing dependencies found, and I've now been using it as my default browser in Precise for a very long time without problem, though I can't speak for your "Precise 5.71 Large", because I've never heard of that variety before (a remaster by someone?) nor can I locate any reference to it through the Puppy search engines.

Also watchdog's Light 49 "Racy tweak" .pet from here installs and runs fine in Precise (with only the addition of "apulse-0.1.11-i686-wz.pet" needed to get audio working in webpages), but I guess if your machine's got enough "oomph" to run a recent Firefox build smoothly, you won't be needing that! :wink:

dancytron

#13 Post by dancytron »

So I was intrigued with the idea of Fred's Firefox 60+ running on this and I discovered an issue that maybe you guys can help me solve.

What I am trying to do is set it up so that I can get a dialog which asks me whether or not I want to save on exit. Of course, on more modern pups, there is a checkbox in the second tab of the Puppy Event Manager where you choose 0 to disable periodic upgrade and then check the box to enable the choice of whether to save on exit. But precise doesn't have that.

Mavrothal's update makes it support save folders (Yeah), but it also breaks compatibility with shinobar's pupsaveconfig (which doesn't take save folders into account), which is the way that I usually accomplished getting a choice of whether to save on exit in earlier puppies.

I tried modifying /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown as described here. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911 but that was also incompatible with creating a save folder and on 1st exit forced me to create a savefile after I chose creating a save folder.

Ideally, any solution would also deal with the .XLOADED file issue as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15

My intent when I started was to remove Seamonkey and Flashplayer (and maybe Abiword and Gnumeric too), and remaster it with a little script that installs Fred's firefox in /mnt/home. If it worked and seemed useful, then share it.

Can anybody help? Marothal??

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

a_salty_dogg wrote:Hello Colonel Panic,

Palemoon ran perfectly OOTB in Precise 5.71 Retro on my old faithful Dell P4 (it's twice as old as your machine, btw :) ), downloaded and installed "manually" from the tarball at Palemoon.org.
Posting from it now!
Don't recall any missing dependencies found, and I've now been using it as my default browser in Precise for a very long time without problem, though I can't speak for your "Precise 5.71 Large", because I've never heard of that variety before (a remaster by someone?) nor can I locate any reference to it through the Puppy search engines.

Also watchdog's Light 49 "Racy tweak" .pet from here installs and runs fine in Precise (with only the addition of "apulse-0.1.11-i686-wz.pet" needed to get audio working in webpages), but I guess if your machine's got enough "oomph" to run a recent Firefox build smoothly, you won't be needing that! :wink:
I think this was the one;

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux ... an-csipesz

Sorry for getting the name wrong, but when there's only limited space on the DVD to write anything on I hope you can see why I called it "Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large" instead!

I'll have a look at the Palemoon tarball you mention.

Cheers,

CP .

P.S. Just one thing; I discovered that Softmaker FreeOffice 2018 also won't run on it owing to dependency issues, so I'm going to try Free Office 2016 instead.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

watchdog

#15 Post by watchdog »

I use in precise an old libreoffice 4 series. I have tested working openoffice 4.1.4, too. See the rep of OscarTalks for an en_GB sfs. I have some Apache OpenOffice sfs's it_IT localized. See also:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 035#899035

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

dancytron wrote:So I was intrigued with the idea of Fred's Firefox 60+ running on this and I discovered an issue that maybe you guys can help me solve.

What I am trying to do is set it up so that I can get a dialog which asks me whether or not I want to save on exit. Of course, on more modern pups, there is a checkbox in the second tab of the Puppy Event Manager where you choose 0 to disable periodic upgrade and then check the box to enable the choice of whether to save on exit. But precise doesn't have that.

Mavrothal's update makes it support save folders (Yeah), but it also breaks compatibility with shinobar's pupsaveconfig (which doesn't take save folders into account), which is the way that I usually accomplished getting a choice of whether to save on exit in earlier puppies.

I tried modifying /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown as described here. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911 but that was also incompatible with creating a save folder and on 1st exit forced me to create a savefile after I chose creating a save folder.

Ideally, any solution would also deal with the .XLOADED file issue as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15

My intent when I started was to remove Seamonkey and Flashplayer (and maybe Abiword and Gnumeric too), and remaster it with a little script that installs Fred's firefox in /mnt/home. If it worked and seemed useful, then share it.

Can anybody help? Marothal??
If I understand correctly, Marothals application allows you to create a savefolder and update that savefolder at any time you like? In that case - If booting from HDD, make pmedia-ataflash in menu.lst (presuming you are using grub4dos as bootloader > change the savings interval to 0 in event manager. Savings to a savefile will now not take place automatically but you should still get the dialog box at exit, choose no not to create a savefile.

Colonel Panic

#17 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just confirmed that FreeOffice 2016 will run in Precise 5.7.1! So it's an option too.

RetroTechGuy

#18 Post by RetroTechGuy »

On a somewhat related note, I'm running the basic 5.28 on this old Asus EEE 900, and also on a couple old laptops which still have WinXP on them...

The real struggle for all of them is browser overload (e.g. Firefox eats all available RAM, and sometimes crashes X -- last time I saw a browser crash a Linux system was NyetScrape, under Debian 1.3... But NyetScrape was the predecessor of Firefox, wasn't it?... ;-) )

I have experimented with Precise, and like its light touch. Also plan to try the new Xenial and see how it behaves on my various older machines.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

a_salty_dogg

#19 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@ Colonel Panic,

I should have mentioned earlier that I have not tried updating Palemoon beyond version 27.9.4 in Precise 5.71 Retro, so can't comment whether the new version would either install or work.
Based on disappointing experience of a trial update to v 28.0.0 in Xenial, I decided to leave all my other Puppies as they are, happily running the old version, until the dev has had chance to try fixing the new one's compatibilty with the YouTube site.
Also nothing seems to have been done to make it any more compatible with "legacy" Firefox add-ons (which is the main drawback of the browser, imo, and the reason it can't ever be used as the sole browser in any distro) so saw no advantage at all to updating it across my kennel as yet.

Older Palemoon versions are still available here if you'd like to give 27.9.4 a try?...
ftp://archive.palemoon.org/

Colonel Panic

#20 Post by Colonel Panic »

a_salty_dogg wrote:@ Colonel Panic,

I should have mentioned earlier that I have not tried updating Palemoon beyond version 27.9.4 in Precise 5.71 Retro, so can't comment whether the new version would either install or work.
Based on disappointing experience of a trial update to v 28.0.0 in Xenial, I decided to leave all my other Puppies as they are, happily running the old version, until the dev has had chance to try fixing the new one's compatibilty with the YouTube site.
Also nothing seems to have been done to make it any more compatible with "legacy" Firefox add-ons (which is the main drawback of the browser, imo, and the reason it can't ever be used as the sole browser in any distro) so saw no advantage at all to updating it across my kennel as yet.

Older Palemoon versions are still available here if you'd like to give 27.9.4 a try?...
ftp://archive.palemoon.org/
Hi,

Thanks, but I’m trying to keep my savefile small at the moment so I can fit it and those of one or two other Puppies on a 16 GB flash drive (having had a couple of bad experiences with Precise not recognising savefiles on my hard drive). If I go for another browser in Precise on top of Firefox 61, it will probably be a very lightweight one like Netsurf.