How Puppy Linux works

Booting, installing, newbie
vozret00

How Puppy Linux works

#1 Post by vozret00 »

I hope I posted the question where I should have...
Here is my problem.
I want to know how Puppy Linux works.
What happens when it is booted from the USB drive, what files are stored where asf.
I was reading the article on this webpage: http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/HowPupp ... edirect=no
But soon I realized that the article may be outdated since it was written in 2006.
Is there an article like the one above that can explain me how current Puppy Linux versions work?
Or can someone explain it to me?
I am a beginner, got XenialPup64 7.5
I think this would be helpful for people who want to know more :D

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I am no expert, but a quick glance over that page - most of it is basically right. There are mentions of sizes, which are out, eg Puppy is 60 - 70MB; we're way past that these days. But the general gist of things is correct.

vozret00

#3 Post by vozret00 »

There are still those 4 files: vmlinuz, image.gz, usr_cram.fs and pup100 (I hope I understood correctly)?
And I suppose that the session is being backupped at regular intervals?
Thank you!

foxpup

#4 Post by foxpup »

Welcome to the kennels vozret00.

When I asked myself the same question a few years ago I read this from the creator of Puppy:
http://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/de ... works.html
(You can skip the shell script.)

Puppy hasn't changed much. The general idea and structure is still the same: layered and modular.
There are variations of course. But there is still the kernel (vmlinuz), the init, the main sfs (squashed file system) with the bins, libs and configs for the system and the applications.
And finally, if you want but not necessarely, the pupsave with the personal work and additions.

You can more or less set up when this pupsave is saved from RAM to disc. I prefer to have a button for it and to have the choice whether to save or not on shutdown.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi vozret00,

Welcome to the kennels.

I began using Puppies about 10 years ago. At first, I just burned a CD and used what its Dev provided. If I had a question I'd search the Forum for its answer and so began to learn about them rather unsystematically. Consequently, I never got around to reading either the wikka post you mentioned nor Barry K's blog post foxpup cited.

About five years ago I developed a greater interest. Perhaps my mind works differently than others, visually rather than analytically. I see things, and observe how one condition changes into another, which is fine for my purposes. But in order to describe or explain that to others, I then have to memorize the words to be used and memorization is not my strong suit. By the time I took a serious interest in how Puppies work, I had been observing them for five years and had noticed some things which were rather odd. For example, how was it possible that with only 512 Mbs of RAM, several applications which totaled more than 2 Gbs could be used?

So when I considered the question "How Puppies Work?" by it I meant "How do you get from what's in the ISO to what I've observed taking place running Puppy as an operating system?"

Figuring it might be helpful to others --and by then having received some technical information about 'inodes', which in order to avoid the unnecessary and obfuscating use of technical terms I refer to as pointers-- I provided this "layman's view". http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 192#862192

But see the posts following it by the experts if you need the technical explanations.