Bookmarks in Palemoon or Firefox

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Boo

Bookmarks in Palemoon or Firefox

#1 Post by Boo »

Hello,

I use both Palemoon and Firefox, for both I have the same problems with Bookmarks : I bookmark a page on the favorite bars, continue browsing, then close the browser. When opening later, bookmarks are not here anymore...

Note that sometimes it works... but it is pretty random.

Is it a known problem on Puppy Linux ? Any solution ?

Thanks

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy are you using?
What version of PaleMoon?
What version of Firefox?
How is Puppy installed?
Full or frugal?
If frugal, have you made a save and booted using the save?
What storage device is the Puppy install on?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Boo

#3 Post by Boo »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I run Puppy Linux 7.5
Palemoon 28
Firefox 60
Puppy runs on a USB key but saving is enabled, I can install programs and retrieve them from one start to another, modify desktop etc...

Thanks in advance

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Puppy runs on a USB key but saving is enabled,
I will assume the save is on the USB key.
Note that sometimes it works... but it is pretty random.
When Puppy is on a USB key. The writes to the save are kept to a minimum, to help extend the life of USB key.
USB keys have limited number of writes.

Any changes to anything are not written directly to the save, but put in a RAM disk (set aside section of RAM).
Every so often this Ram disk is cleared and everything is moved to the save. If you are opening a browser at the same time this data transfer is happening. There is a chance that browser is not going to see the changes until they complete the transfer to the save.

The time this auto periodic save takes place can be set to what you want.
Default is every 30 minutes.
menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session

Could be more of a problem if the computer has little RAM.

You should have a save icon on the desktop.
Clicking on it will update the save at that time.

Also, the save always gets updated at shutdown.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

flashing out bigppup's advice

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi boo,

Both firefox and palemoon, by default, keep your profiles in folders which are hidden (AFAIK so you won't accidentally delete them or to avoid visual clutter when examining files and folders). The bookmarks you import and/or create are part of those profiles. You'll find firefox's in /root/.mozilla and palemoon in /root/.moonchild productions. Note the dots preceeding the "m"'s. Left-click Rox's Eye to show hidden files and folders. Once you can see them, you can copy/move and create symlinks to/from them.

On bootup, a Frugal Puppy copies into RAM some files from within the files and folders you have on your storage medium --such as the SaveFile/Folder on your USB-Key-- and creates links to the other files and folders which aren't immediately copied. Those other files will be copied into RAM as and when you need them. But nothing gets into your SaveFile or SaveFolder until a Save is executed either automatically, or at shutdown or manually when you click the Save icon on your desktop.

So, as bigpup advised you, in order to make certain that bookmarks persist you can execute a manual Save. In fact, I recommend that you only do manual Saves by turning off the Automatic Save: Open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Left-Click the Save Session's Tab, and set the Save Interval to 0/Zero. Optionally place a check in the "Ask at Shutdown" box.

When a Save is executed, whether manually or automatically, everything then in RAM is copied to your SaveFile/Folder: including the mistakes you've made and the junk you didn't know you picked up while surfing. You really should not Save unless you have a good reason; and having Puppies do it automatically is a procedure established early in Puppy history [probably for a good reason, but] which unfortunately the Devs haven't modified.

So I also recommend that you read http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 066#974066 and apply as much as you feel comfortable doing.

With /.mozilla and /.moonchild productions moved to /mnt/home and symlinked back, firefox and palemoon, respectively, will automatically write to their profiles on /mnt/home. No Save would be necessary.

mikesLr