Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 12 Nov 2018, 15:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 46 of 50 [736 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 Next
norgo

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2018, 16:21    Post subject:  

For older hardware the only solution is hardware decoding.
This feature is not activated in the tested Palemoon version.
If you are familiar with this topic you could try to build such a version. Wink

For watching youtube videos usage of SMtube / SMplayer is a good alternative.
Important is that Mplayer has to be compiled with VDPAU support ( NVIDIA ) and the proprietary driver is used.
Unfortunately Mplayer doesn't support VAAPI for Intel GPU's anymore. In this case MPV is a good choice.
Of course GPU has to be capable for hardware decoding.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug 2018, 18:53    Post subject:  

On the Pale Moon linux forum, someone asked about what media.ffvpx.enabled ==> false does. The linux developer answered...

Quote:
It disables the version of ffvpx that ships in our tree (currently 3.4) and falls back to the system installed FFmpeg packages instead (very similar to what v27 did) and then falls back to libvpx as a last resort if the required FFmpeg packages can't be found.

I.e. Pale Moon tries to hand off the video playback work to ffmpeg on your system, rather than having Pale Moon do the grunt work. So if your installed ffmpeg has hardware acceleration, you get hardware accelerated video playback.
norgo

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2018, 13:16    Post subject:  

I wasn't able to get internal version to work. ( used libva version 1.8.2 for hardware decoding test )
Disabling of internal version to force usage of installed ffmpeg version is useless in my case because installed ffmpeg version 2.8.11 doesn't support VA-API or VDPAU.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep 2018, 15:20    Post subject:
Subject description: Pale Moon 28.0.1 is out

Announcement at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20240 Some improvements to performance of the 32-bit version, which most people here use.
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2018, 07:59    Post subject:  

Are bookmarks-backups of current firefox compatible with those of palemoon 28.0.1? I tried to restore a bookmarks-backup of firefox in palemoon 28.0.1: I do not see problems.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2018, 08:05    Post subject:  

They can certainly be exported and imported, which may be slightly different!!
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2018, 02:55    Post subject:  

This "goes without saying" but it should still be said. To get maximum resolution on Youtube, etc, you need to crank up your cpu to its max speed. It's not just laptops, many desktop PC's also have speed-scaling. The default governor for Puppy seems to be "ondemand". This is not as fast as it could be. The problem is that "ondemand" drops down to slowest speed, and only ramps up when a cpu is under high load, by which time Youtube, etc is already dropping frames.

The solution to that is to switch over to "performance" mode. The settings, at least in Slacko 5.4 from the menu are...

Menu ==> System ==> Info ==> CPU Frequency Scaling Tool

and select and apply "Performance". On a Youtube roller coaster video that I use for benchmarking, a used Lenovo went from being able to handle 480p to handling 720p without stuttering or dropping frames.

The downside is that applying more power to the cpu drains the laptop battery faster.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep 2018, 07:06    Post subject:  

And may overheat your laptop.
DuMar

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 09:41    Post subject:  

Is it safe to keep working with version 27 or is it better to start using an alternative when version 28 is not working properly?
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 09:54    Post subject:  

"safe" is relative and the term is much abused.
No browser is safe if you are accessing dodgy sites and no browser is dangerous if you are accessing safe sites.

Version 27 may well be "safer" than any of the alternatives.

Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 13:50    Post subject:  

I'm running 28.0.0 (32-bit), and it keeps [request to] auto-updating [I turned that off] to 28.0.1, which uses up too much of the 466M of space left in my 1.9G [2.0GB] slackosave file.
Is it possible to move the files off the slackosave?
To /mnt/home?
How?

Firefox 62.0 (32-bit) is my default browser.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 14:40    Post subject:  

Use the portable version and you can put it wherever you want.
a_salty_dogg

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 19:35    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:

Is it possible to move the files off the slackosave?
To /mnt/home?
How?

Open 2 ROX-Filer windows, one at "/mnt/home", the other at "/opt".

Drag the Palemoon folder from opt over to home (move your cursor over it, hold down the left mouse key, drag it over, release the key). Click "Move" on the context menu which opens.
Then drag the folder, which you just moved, back to opt, but this time when you release the key, click "Link (relative)" on the context menu. Its icon should now display in the opt directory with a black arrow at the top left corner, showing it's a symlink.

Then navigate the second window from "/opt" to "root" and click on the "eye" symbol on the toolbar at the top of the window. That will reveal a hidden folder called ".moonchild productions". This is Palemoon's personal settings file.
Drag that over to home in the same way then drag back to root and "Link (relative)"
Note you'll have to click the eye symbol in that window also be to able to see the folder you just moved.

Couple of notes; Palemoon needs to be closed while you're doing all this, and also personal experience has shown that .config folders can be symlinked more reliably if the procedure is carried out when running in RAM or in a different Puppy from the one which you're editing. Otherwise there's a danger the folder will start rebuilding itself in root, where you only wanted a symlink, when you start running the browser again.

If that all went well, you can do the same with with your Firefox folders.

N.B. As always, take the usual precaution of making a backup copy of slackosave before playing with your file system in case anything goes wrong.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2018, 06:16    Post subject:  

a_salty_dogg wrote:
Open 2 ROX-Filer windows, one at "/mnt/home", the other at "/opt".

Drag the Palemoon folder from opt over to home (move your cursor over it, hold down the left mouse key, drag it over, release the key). Click "Move" on the context menu which opens.
Then drag the folder, which you just moved, back to opt, but this time when you release the key, click "Link (relative)" on the context menu. Its icon should now display in the opt directory with a black arrow at the top left corner, showing it's a symlink.

Then navigate the second window from "/opt" to "root" and click on the "eye" symbol on the toolbar at the top of the window. That will reveal a hidden folder called ".moonchild productions". This is Palemoon's personal settings file.
Drag that over to home in the same way then drag back to root and "Link (relative)"
Note you'll have to click the eye symbol in that window also be to able to see the folder you just moved.

DONE. Very Happy

a_salty_dogg wrote:
Palemoon needs to be closed while you're doing all this...

Oops, didn't read through ALL of your post before starting to implement your instructions; just began at the beginning to implement.
But Palemoon wasn't running anyway.

a_salty_dogg wrote:
...personal experience has shown that .config folders can be symlinked more reliably if the procedure is carried out when running in RAM or in a different Puppy from the one which you're editing...

My Slacko is configured to NOT save any session changes back to the slackosave...until I tell it to.
Would that be good enough?

a_salty_dogg wrote:
...personal experience has shown that .config folders can be symlinked more reliably if the procedure is carried out when running in RAM or in a different Puppy from the one which you're editing...

I see only symlinks methinks.
I've updated Palemoon to version 28.0.1 and it appears to have worked well [still 466M (470M after save-session) of free space in the slackosave, and posting this in Palemoon 28.0.1].

a_salty_dogg wrote:
If that all went well, you can do the same with with your Firefox folders.

I'd like to do this, BUT...
There's no Firefox folder in "/opt", AND...
Semme took remote control of my desktop [using TeamViewer] to install "Firefox 61.0.1" and configure to suit.
And there are multivarious Firefox folders all over my slackosave file system.
I see "/mnt/home/firefox_61" folder with 7 sub-folders, so this is probably my current Firefox, and it is already in the "/mnt/home" folder.

a_salty_dogg wrote:
...always, take the usual precaution of making a backup copy of slackosave before playing with your file system in case anything goes wrong...

Didn't read this until after the changes were completed, but it doesn't matter anyway because...
a. I could choose to reboot having NOT saved the session changes. [but I will save right after posting this]
b. I have a backup of my slackosave anyway.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep 2018, 06:36    Post subject:  

Oops...
1. Having [saved session changes, and] rebooted...
a. Palemoon will no longer run from clicking on the "Menu->Internet->Palemoon" entry.
Also...
b. When I enter the "palemoon" command at the terminal command prompt, it returns:
"bash: palemoon: command not found".

2. Is there an easy way to fix this?
["fixmenus" didn't fix it.]
OR...
3. Do I need to restore my slackosave backup?
Page 46 of 50 [736 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: