Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Nov 2018, 23:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 36 of 45 [663 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 43, 44, 45 Next
ETP

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 07:34    Post subject:  

Hi trister,
Quote:
The most important thing I want Bionic to do for me is run the Vidyo Conference client (it runs only in ububtu -not debian) so this doesn't bother me.

This may be good news for you.
https://home.cern/cern-people/announcements/2018/07/video-conference-vidyoconnect-replace-current-clients

Kennels
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 13:03    Post subject:  

trister wrote:
No , I have seen no limitation to the number of loaded squashfs in Bionic. (I would like to thank you again that in the distant past you had increased the number of sfs I could load Smile )

I see what you mean now, and you're welcome Smile

Quote:
I was just trying to point out that I see Bionic run more slow with just a fraction of the (same) squashfs files I use on StretchDog. I'm talking about the same PCs that see the same GPUs.

Interesting. One of the obvious differences is that Bionicdog runs with systemd as default.
Just a guess, that could be a reason why it runs slower with many .squashfs loaded.
When you have time, can you boot Stretch with systemd and check if that makes a difference in speed when loading many .squashfs modules ?
(Add init=/bin/systemd to kernel command line booting Stretch)
EDIT: But maybe you already boot Stretch with systemd, in that case, the above can be ignored)

Fred

trister

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2018, 15:20    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Interesting. One of the obvious differences is that Bionicdog runs with systemd as default.
Just a guess, that could be a reason why it runs slower with many .squashfs loaded.
When you have time, can you boot Stretch with systemd and check if that makes a difference in speed when loading many .squashfs modules ?
(Add init=/bin/systemd to kernel command line booting Stretch)
EDIT: But maybe you already boot Stretch with systemd, in that case, the above can be ignored)

Fred

I think I already use systemd. I'm booting using porteus boot and running htop I see many processes that contain systemd.
Maybe it is the Tint or other Desktop apps you put in Bionic? I use openbox and xfce4-panel in StretchDog.

As I said I'm quite happy with the StretchDog I've made from your script.

ETP wrote:

This may be good news for you.
https://home.cern/cern-people/announcements/2018/07/video-conference-vidyoconnect-replace-current-clients

Thanks for the info. I'll check if our Vidyo Server supports that.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2018, 05:40    Post subject:  

Hi trister,

Quote:
I think I already use systemd. I'm booting using porteus boot and running htop I see many processes that contain systemd.

Two ways to run Stretch with "full" systemd:
- install package "systemd-sysv" and reboot (makes systemd default, if you have it already installed, then indeed you use systemd)
- add init=/bin/systemd to kernel boot line (but that's not needed if systemd-sysv is already installed)

Fred

ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2018, 18:17    Post subject:  

Hi.

I was lately in trouble. Exactly on 8th of September 2018, two days after playing a show with my band Helix Research Kitchen.

We had planned to record this show by five action video cameras (Rollei 415) and 26-multi-track recording. We assumed being faced to a Windows machine having Cubase or something similar installed.

Yes, it was a Windows machine having Windows 10 installed. Though, the recording software wasn't Cubase or any like that.

Instead it was -to my surprise- Ardour5 5.12 installed and ready to record 32 tracks simultaneously! Shocked

I'm quiet curious if this could work in any Linux (several earlier tests made failed completely)?

However, we could not use the Ardour5 project to load into Ardor3 (which I have installed in my Art Studio) and so we planned to buy a version for Windows (my friend and fellow musician still has Windows 7 machines).

Then...

...then BionicDog came to mind. Booted into and checked the repositories for Ardour. It returned Ardour5 5.12. Downloaded, installed runs and loaded the win-recorded project without any problems.

That's so pretty cool, I just can't say it the right way.

Thanks for that BionicDog.

My friend and fellow musician will buy a USB HD tomorrow. I'm going to install my edition of BionicDog (a complete audio studio) including Ardour5 to this USB HD. So we can split the work to do the mix-downs using Ardour5 and BionicDog on different machines.

Hopefully it will run on this other machine!

Edit:

Here's a screenshot of the equal Ardour5 squashfs (only customized the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu directory for Puppy) running in Studio2Go playing the win-recorded multi-track project..

aledie

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 01:34    Post subject:  

Just tried BionicDog, very good impression so far.

May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS (possible use - Google drive, MS office apps, if can live without heavy Libre office):
https://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+archive/ubuntu/p9-release/+files/ice_5.3.4_all.deb
Moat

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 03:02    Post subject:  

aledie wrote:
May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS...

Thanks for this heads-up and .deb link, aledie (and welcome to the Puppy forum) - very cool. Cool I recall Dedomiedo mentioning these in-browser web app "containers" in, IIRC, a Manjaro (??) review - and it sounded like a very useful idea.

I just downloaded the above-linked .deb and installed in the Bionic Mate I'm browsing on ATM, and it installed and runs perfectly. Super!

@RSH - Great story! I've been meaning to attempt putting together a BionicDog DAW with Rockedge's rt kernel one of these days - your story is proof of the potential! Cool

Bob
Ice SSB.jpg
 Description   Using an online vector graphic creation website...
 Filesize   152.12 KB
 Viewed   389 Time(s)

Ice SSB.jpg

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:02    Post subject:  

aledie wrote:

May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS

Puppy has had what I believe is the functional equivalent for about 7 years thanks to sszindian and Puppymartin. It's My-Cloud-Apps, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=536967#536967. No-Arch, it should function under any Puppy.

Note: IIRC, its GUI enables you to add "Apps/Links". But some of the "Apps/Links" pre-installed 7 years ago may be non-functional/dead or you may not want them. To remove them, you may have to open /root/my-applications/bin/AppStarter.conf in a text-editor and edit.

mikesLr
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:18    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
@RSH - Great story! I've been meaning to attempt putting together a BionicDog DAW with Rockedge's rt kernel one of these days - your story is proof of the potential! Cool

Bob

Hi moat.

Fredx181 has made a real-time kernel for BionicDog (32bit) which I'm running already on my machine at home. For the DAW-Project I could offer some audio .squashfs modules containing Ardour, Jack Mixer, Qtractor, QJackCtl, Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFx plus many different Synthesizers like Helm and PhaseX.

Moat

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:00    Post subject:  

Hi RSH -

ITSMERSH wrote:
For the DAW-Project I could offer some audio .squashfs modules containing Ardour, Jack Mixer, Qtractor, QJackCtl, Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFx plus many different Synthesizers like Helm and PhaseX.

On one hand, that would be flippin' awesome (!), thanks... but unless others chime in, please don't bother on my account - as life has me buried in other things ATM and I'll probably not get any chance soon to work with it.

And thanks for the reminder about Fred's RT kernel - I now recall seeing that earlier in the this thread...

Too many cool ideas... but not enough free time! Grrr... Crying or Very sad Laughing

Bob
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2018, 13:24    Post subject:  

Hi.

When opening a file by right-click action one can choose to select a program. A GUI appears on the screen wherein one can select programs from categorized lists (can't recall its name, I'm posting from 'Art Studio').

I have a special menu category ('JackAudio', which appears as 'Music Production' inside the menu) that makes the programs related to that category 'JackAudio' invisible for the above mentioned GUI.

How can I modify that GUI / Program to show the programs from category 'JackAudio'?

Thanks

Moat wrote:
Too many cool ideas... but not enough free time!

Never mind. Just let me know, when ready... Wink

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2018, 14:28    Post subject:  

Hi RSH,

If I understand well (not sure), you want category "JackAudio" appear in the right-click "Open with..." applications from pcmanfm.

Then create two files:
1) In /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged , create file "JackAudio.menu", with content:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">
<Menu>
  <Name>Applications</Name>
  <Menu>
    <Name>JackAudio</Name>
    <Directory>JackAudio.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
        <Category>JackAudio</Category>
    </Include>
  </Menu> <!-- End JackAudio -->
</Menu>

2) In /usr/share/desktop-directories , create file "JackAudio.directory" , with content:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Directory
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=JackAudio
Comment=Jack Audio Programs
Icon=applications-multimedia

Edit as you like of course, e.g. icon name, comment.

It may be required to restart X to apply the change.

If you want the category JackAudio to be visible in the Openbox menu, that needs some manual editing in ~/.config/obmenu-generator/schema.pl, e.g. like this
Code:
    {sep => 'Categories'},

#          NAME            LABEL                ICON
    {cat => ['utility',     'Accessories', 'applications-utilities']},
    {cat => ['development', 'Development', 'applications-development']},
    {cat => ['education',   'Education',   'applications-science']},
    {cat => ['game',        'Games',       'applications-games']},
    {cat => ['graphics',    'Graphics',    'applications-graphics']},
    {cat => ['audiovideo',  'Multimedia',  'applications-multimedia']},
    {cat => ['Modules',     'Module Tools','application-x-squashfs2']},
    {cat => ['network',     'Network',     'applications-internet']},
    {cat => ['office',      'Office',      'applications-office']},
    {cat => ['other',       'Other',       'applications-other']},
    {cat => ['settings',    'Settings',    'applications-accessories']},
    {cat => ['system',      'System',      'applications-system']},
    {cat => ['audio',      'Audio',      'applications-multimedia']},
    {cat => ['JackAudio',   'JackAudio',   'applications-multimedia']},

(bottom category "JackAudio")

Fred

d_vineet

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2018, 23:44    Post subject: calender widget  

I tried to right click, dbl-clk, left-clk on datetime tray icon of BionicDog in expectation of getting a calender widget.
Is there any such widget in-built under BionicDog?
If not, which one is suggested to be installed? How?
Thanks.
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2018, 14:35    Post subject:  

Hi Fred.

The Menu is already established and working well.

What I meant is the GUI/program to choose a application to open the selected file (right-click action).

Look at the image. please, and note the difference between the Menu (left side) and the GUI/program (right side). The GUI only shows programs from Multimedia but not Musikproduktion (Music Production) where the 'JackAudio' Programs are listed.

I need to modify this GUI/program to show the 'JackAudio' programs also, but don't know how and where...

Thanks
Menu-versus-GUI.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Menu-versus-GUI.jpg 
Filesize  229.79 KB 
Downloaded  29 Time(s) 

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2018, 16:16    Post subject:  

Hi RSH,

Wow ! you made it all German, nice job !

Quote:
What I meant is the GUI/program to choose a application to open the selected file (right-click action).

I understood that (right-click) but I thought the Category is named JackAudio for you.
So looking at the left of your picture, you have Category "Musikproduktion", so in the .desktop launchers:
Code:
Categories=Musikproduktion;

Right ?
If so, then: (similar as my above post, but different name)

In /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged , create file Musikproduktion.menu, content:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">
<Menu>
  <Name>Applications</Name>
  <Menu>
    <Name>Musikproduktion</Name>
    <Directory>Musikproduktion.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
        <Category>Musikproduktion</Category>
    </Include>
  </Menu> <!-- End Musikproduktion -->
</Menu>

In /usr/share/desktop-directories , create file "Musikproduktion.directory" , with content:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Directory
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Musikproduktion
Comment=Musikproduktion Programs
Icon=applications-multimedia

Fred

Page 36 of 45 [663 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 43, 44, 45 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: