Problem continuing a multisession CD. (Solved)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Disco Makberto

#41 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hey, Flash!

Yes, but not with DVD-+RW's (or CD-RW's, for that matter). The problem is that, in my area, I cannot find a supplier that can sell just a few discs or so. My local dollar store sells discs in bundles of 3, but not RW's. At any rate, I can try eBay to try to get a couple of RW's.

Regards,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

P.S.: Most of the time I use DVD+R's, The remaining are DVD-R's and CD-R's.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#42 Post by Flash »

Well, the only difference between using a rewritable disk and a write-once disk is that you can re-use the rewritable disk. What that means in practice is, Burniso2cd will simply overwrite whatever is on the rewritable disk if you tell it to burn a Puppy iso onto the disk. If you tell it to burn the same Puppy iso as was already on the multisession disk you booted from, then you'll wind up with a freshly burned live Puppy, the same as if you'd started with a blank write-once disk. After that, you just tell Puppy to Save and you'll have a "defragmented" multisession disk. You'd think it would be just one, but it really doesn't matter if there is one or two saved sessions at that point. Either way works.
In other words, if the only cheap disks you can get are write-once disks and you don't mind making a few coasters until you figure it out, then use write-once disks instead of rewritable disks.

Disco Makberto

#43 Post by Disco Makberto »

I think I got it now, Flash! Trying to explain the situation as I see it, let's say that I boot up with a multisession DVD+RW; then, if I burn the base ISO (same used on the multisession DVD+RW) with Burniso2CD, everything on the DVD+RW prior to burning the ISO is deleted; from that point on, I can choose to save the desktop to end up with a multisesssion DVD+RW so as to "defragment" the disc, or I can choose to not save anything to end up with a normal non-multisession DVD+RW (which is just the base ISO with nothing else). Am I correct?

Yes, I understand the issue of coasters. I will probably stick with my DVD+R's, though it doesn't hurt to experiment if I find some cheap DVD+RW's. I will revisit my local dollar store.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#44 Post by Flash »

You're mostly correct. Burniso2cd will overwrite what's on a rewritable disk, but only as much of it as the iso will cover. Burniso2cd doesn't erase the rest of the stuff that might be on the disk. I found this out the hard way when I made an exact copy of a multisession Puppy that Burniso2cd had made of a used DVD-RW. The exact copy of what should have been about a 200 MB multisession Puppy filled a whole DVD! Turned out, I'd used a rewritable DVD that had been filled with a movie or something, so the whole disk was filled. :lol:
Thank goodness this didn't make any difference when it came to using the Puppy that Burniso2cd had burned onto the DVD-RW. All the stuff on the disk past the end of the iso was ignored.

Disco Makberto

#45 Post by Disco Makberto »

Flash, I am bit confused, but I am tryng to figure out what's behind. To begin with, as it pertains to your "old DVD-RW" with a previous movie on it, did you record that movie with Burniso2CD or did you use something else?

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

hamoudoudou

last Puppy able to save cd multissession. ..

#46 Post by hamoudoudou »

a question posted somewhere is what is the last Puppy able to save cd .multissession. ..

tallboy

#47 Post by tallboy »

I asked, and did not get any good answer...
I also have a problem with a multisession CD that is locked after the first save, and I am not good enough to interpret the code in /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd to find the culprit.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#48 Post by Flash »

What do you mean, locked?

tallboy

#49 Post by tallboy »

The CD will not accept another save, because the multisession function is locked. It should remain open after each session is saved, but a codeline somewhere locks it. Where, I don't know.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#50 Post by Flash »

That's never happened to me. Which Puppy and how many sessions were saved on the CD?

James C

#51 Post by James C »

The thread in question is here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 495#990495

For what it's worth, I haven't tried every Puppy release as a multi-session but I try a lot of them and don't recall any failures yet.Any in particular you would like me to test I'd be glad to.

Just had a Tahr multi-session dvd fill up last night, I already had another dvd burned with Tahr and I merely replaced the full dvd with the empty,everything saved to the fresh dvd and all was good.

Burn_IT

#52 Post by Burn_IT »

I think he means the CD was "closed"/"finalised" so further updates are not allowed.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#53 Post by Flash »

The CD specification only allows 99 tracks on a CD even if there's room for more. I'm not sure if a saved session counts as a track. That may depend on the drive manufacturer's interpretation of the specification. I think the DVD specification allows as many tracks as will fit on the DVD. Again, I don't know if a session counts as a track.

rufwoof

#54 Post by rufwoof »

Flash wrote:You're mostly correct. Burniso2cd will overwrite what's on a rewritable disk, but only as much of it as the iso will cover. Burniso2cd doesn't erase the rest of the stuff that might be on the disk. I found this out the hard way when I made an exact copy of a multisession Puppy that Burniso2cd had made of a used DVD-RW. The exact copy of what should have been about a 200 MB multisession Puppy filled a whole DVD! Turned out, I'd used a rewritable DVD that had been filled with a movie or something, so the whole disk was filled. :lol:
Thank goodness this didn't make any difference when it came to using the Puppy that Burniso2cd had burned onto the DVD-RW. All the stuff on the disk past the end of the iso was ignored.
For a DVD+RW disc I use peasydisc to first blank the dvd, then format it, then burn the (in my case Fatdog) iso. Seems to keep the entire DVD disc clean that way. I'm tending to only keep a couple of saves (I've set event manager save interval to zero i.e. only on demand and mostly I just shutdown without saving as I keep all my data external to the OS). First save is all my customisation's (installed gtk3 for instance), next is google chrome. So when I want to update google chrome I boot excluding the last save (so no prior google version is installed in that session), blank/format/burn-iso and then save-session - so now the disc I've just booted no longer has a 2nd save (google) on the disc, I then download/install the latest chrome and save session again - so I'm back to as before, but where the second save on the DVD disc is the later version of chrome. Fundamentally once I've the system setup/configured to work well with my hardware I care little about program versions - with the exception of the browser (prefer to run the latest for the better security benefits). No local HDD is used, data is served to Fatdog via my OpenBSD data server that automatically connects and mounts /data (other data on that box is inaccessible other than from its own console i.e. outbound connection initialisations only and only shares a single folder (Fatdog's /data folder content)).

Pristine OS (with personalisation configuration changes) and pristine latest browser after each boot, with core/main data isolated so that the likes of a during session ransomware attack I only lose the content of the /data folder - which is regularly (automatic incremental) backed up to another folder on the OpenBSD box - that outside of the reverse sshfs connection/mount it makes to Fatdog that box can't even be seen by Fatdog.

If the Fatdog system were lost/stolen, then there's nothing of interest to the thief/finder. No data, no passwords etc. If a hacker breaks into a Fatdog session then making something persistent is "difficult". They might read/corrupt /data at worst, but where that data is easily restored and excludes more personal data/docs (that are stored in other OpenBSD file server folders). And attempts to get at that data server - well OpenBSD base system only is renowned for their focus upon security.

Every user should consider what if/when my desktop system is stolen, what if/when someone secures root cli ...etc. type risks and consider the impacts that might have, including the risks/damage that might be caused to others sharing the same LAN. LiveCD boots are one potential part of risk mitigation.
Last edited by rufwoof on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#55 Post by rufwoof »

tallboy wrote:I asked, and did not get any good answer...
I also have a problem with a multisession CD that is locked after the first save, and I am not good enough to interpret the code in /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd to find the culprit.
I have noticed in Fatdog that using pburn to burn a rw dvd disc resulted in it being registered as a dvd-r on my kit, whereas peasydisc correctly writes it as a dvd-rw. Whether that's a software bug or hardware issue (dvd drive/DVD's being used ...etc.) ???
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

tallboy

#56 Post by tallboy »

The disc in question is a CD-R. I always use Burniso2cd. The disc was burnt multisession when I saved my remastered, live Lucid 5.2.8.7 .iso to the disc. I managed to save one session to the disc after the initial burn, but it would not accept to save any sessions later. The saves themselves were only small modifications to config files, no large volumes.
Burn_IT wrote:I think he means the CD was "closed"/"finalised" so further updates are not allowed.
Yes, sorry about using the incorrect expression. Foreigner, you know! :roll: .

perdido

Re: last Puppy able to save cd multissession. ..

#57 Post by perdido »

hamoudoudou wrote:a question posted somewhere is what is the last Puppy able to save cd .multissession. ..
Upup Bionic Beaver saves a DVD multi session
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 71#1004071

I guess it does CD also.

tallboy

#58 Post by tallboy »

The Bionic Beaver is unfortunately too big!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#59 Post by Flash »

Too big for what, a CD?

tallboy

#60 Post by tallboy »

For the amount of available RAM in my 17 year old PC...