Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#81 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Mike
Thanks for the link, but I'm not trying to fix the traditional way drive letters are assigned on a PC. In this case it's because BionicPup64 is broken.

I'm typically using usb port 1 and port 5. If I boot up with drives connected to both ports then port 1 is sdb and port 5 is sdc to start with.
If I boot up with just a drive connected to port 5, I get an icon for sdb1 that is not connected to anything, because something in BP64 thinks it should be sdc1. If I click on the icon, the pmount dialogue box opens showing sdb1 and I can mount it, and the cross appears on the icon.

It gets more confused if I plug in my 1TB disk, which has two partitions, into port 1. At this point it gets sdc1 and sdc2, which is correct.

But if I reboot with both drives still connected I get four icons for three partitions in this order: sdb1 is port 1 1st partition, sdc1 port 5, sdc2 for nothing, sdb2 for port 1 2nd partition.

Clicking the sdb1 icon opens the pmount dialogue rather than mounting the partition.

In XenialPup64 drives that are present at boot are assigned letters in the order of the port number and drives that are plugged in after boot get letters in the order they are plugged in. There are no ghost icons from the past..

LateAdopter

#82 Post by LateAdopter »

666philb wrote:
LateAdopter wrote: With BionicPup, on my Braswell N3150 box, I have changed to the intel driver which also required a change of kernel.
I have removed compton from startup because it was causing tearing with media playback

Thanks again.
Hi LateAdopter,

it's annoying that the modesetting driver now overrides the intel driver, as the screen tearing is really bad! it is supposed to enable it but doesn't on any intel graphics that i've tested it on.

-SNIP-

before you try the above though (which is the best option), with the original kernel can you try editing /root/.config/compton.conf and changing line 33 (approx, it's the vsync line) to

Code: Select all

vsync = "drm";
and restart compton and see if there's any improvement
Hello 666philb
I installed Gnome-mpv and libmpv on a base copy of Bionicpup64, to test the tearing, but I didn't get very far:
With the modesetting driver, xrandr doesn't seem able to set the refresh rate to 50Hz to match the video.
The Alsa wizard says "no audio devices found" and Gnome-mpv refuses to play without audio.

Anyway It's OK with my kernel and the the Intel driver, so I'll continue testing that configuration.

Mike Walsh

#83 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ LateAdopter:-

Mm. I do find that some of the newer Puppies, especially those built with the recent variants of Woof-CE, also seem to have a hell of a job making their minds up just exactly what they're going to show on the desktop.

I don't think it's anything directly to do with pMount. But, at boot, the drive icons show first one way, then they all disappear and come back in a different order, then they jumble themselves up (often one on top of another), before eventually settling down.....though never in the correct order.

I first noticed this in peebee's Upup Bionic 18.05. Then again in the 'upgrade' Sailor Enceladus did on Micko's 'classic' Slacko 570; Slacko 571. Now, I see Bionic64's doing it, too.

I usually end up right-clicking any icon and running the 'Drive Icon Manager', then ticking the checkbox for 'Refresh and re-align icons'. Except the Event Manager in Upup and Slacko 571 is missing that checkbox.....so I transplanted the Event Manager from my 32-bit version of Xenial, the earlier 7.0.8.1. That, fortunately, still had the checkbox.....and swapping the two over doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects. Like the LogOutGUI, it appears to be a self-contained item.

But I rather suspect there's communication 'issues' between pMount, the Event Manager, and Rox/JWM. That's what it looks like to me. Whether a 'bug', or actually 'broken'.....I wouldn't like to say!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Revolverve

#84 Post by Revolverve »

Thats a nice comeback !

Thanks 666philb

Havent seen more then already reported problems so far.
Clock is ticking for trusty tahrpup64 ...

LateAdopter

#85 Post by LateAdopter »

Mike Walsh wrote:I usually end up right-clicking any icon and running the 'Drive Icon Manager', then ticking the checkbox for 'Refresh and re-align icons.

-SNIP-

But I rather suspect there's communication 'issues' between pMount, the Event Manager, and Rox/JWM. That's what it looks like to me. Whether a 'bug', or actually 'broken'.....I wouldn't like to say!
Hello Mike
Thanks for the tip about the Desktop Icon Manager. I did that and it cleared up the spurious drive icons.

BionicPup64 is working very well for me now. I have only needed a few extra symlinks in the Puppy Standard Icons to get Gnome-mpv a full set.

I can now start spring cleaning my archive of XenialPup64 remasters and gain a lot of space.

Thanks 666philb

mikeslr

Shutdown OK under ozsouth's recent 4.14.69 kernel

#86 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just wanted to report that having switched to ozsouth's Hugh-Kernal 4.14.69, bionicpup64 appears to properly shutdown, responding to both tabs into NoSave, and back to Save as well as just pressing the 'n' key to not Save, that is complying with the displayed instructions and the implications of the Red N in "NoSave". Will test whether it also responds to the Right-Arrow, Left-Arrow keys. [See p.s. below].

Unlike the default kernel in Xenialpup64 (published before meltdown/spectre was discovered) ozsouth's kernel provides some (perhaps all currently available) protection. On my system it reports the following:

Linux Kernel: 4.14.69-s64oz (x86_64)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Sat Sep 22 17:58:28 AEST 2018
Build GCC: 7.3.0

l1tf : Mitigation : PTE Inversion
meltdown : Mitigation : PTI
spec_store_bypass : Vulnerable
spectre_v1 : Mitigation : __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2 : Mitigation : Full generic retpoline

Development:
Bash: 4.4.19
Geany: 1.33
Gtkdialog: 0.8.4
Perl: 5.26.1
Python: 2.7.15rc1
Yad: 0.40.0 (GTK+ 2.24.32)
--
busybox: 1.28.1
dhcpcd: 6.6.2
Glibc: 2.27
OpenSSL: 1.1.0g 2 Nov 2017, built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
wpa_supplicant: 2.6

I wonder if any the application version noted above may have something to do with why it functions properly while many other builds have not.

The kernel and kernel sources can be obtained by following this link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 72#1005372

Remember this kernel was built with Slackos in mind. You'll need to obtain, rename and include in your BionicPup64's folder an fdrv.sfs. (firmware).

Bye the way, Thanks ozsouth. :D

Edit: The above was my experience on a Dell Optiplex 790. On my laptop, a Lenovo something, only the Tab to No Save worked.

mikesLr

p.s. Pressing the Right-Arrow key works, but not as I expected. As you know, the Shutdown dialog has a "Save" box on the Left which is highlighted/Selected-by default if you just press Return/Enter and a "NoSave" box on the Right. Do nothing and shutdown without Saving will occur in 60 seconds. The instructions are that you can Tab to the "NoSave" box and press Enter to exit immediately without Saving. But my experience is that rather than press Tab you could press the Right-Arrow Key to highlight the "NoSave" box. Under BionicPup64 with the kernel and environment described above, pressing the Right-Arrow Key immediately shutsdown without Saving.

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

Frugal install, save folder, on usb hard drive, format ext 3.

Seems to be random when this happens.

Click on a desktop drive icon.
Rox opens showing contents.
Do something to change what is in the partition. (Delete, add, move, etc....)
Usually if another program is adding something.
The change is not shown in the Rox window.
If I refresh the Rox window, it now shows the change.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#88 Post by James C »

Not much time to test so far but I can report no problem with shutdown and sound is working fine so far, in Chrome at least.
Attachments
Bionicpup64.jpg
(65.32 KiB) Downloaded 908 times

melon688

#89 Post by melon688 »

when shutdown or reboot,
compaq c500 is OK.

but Dell 1535 stop at this screen:

( 9-26 update : Dell 1535 run bionicpup64-7.9.4-uefi.iso has no this problem. Thanks.)
Attachments
0IMAG0640.jpg
(216.13 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by melon688 on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 01:52, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

Openshot 1.4.3

#90 Post by mikeslr »

davids45

Drive icon pile-up problem and lib64 comment

#91 Post by davids45 »

G'day 666philb,

Thanks for tackling a new Pup.

I've made a Frugal of your last beta in my 64-bit Pups partition which looked OK and then loaded up my all-apps-in-one-sfs to see how they each run.

A few have missing lib problems which made me look at how you've handled the directories in /usr for 32-bit and 64-bit lib files. You've made a simple link for the lib64 directory to /usr/lib (screenshot). This looks a bit different to other 64-bit Pups (Slacko, Stretch?) where there is a 'real' lib64 directory as well as lib and lib32. Am I right and is there any agreed policy in Puppy on how to handle this 'confusion' (to me at least) of the extra lib directories in the 64-bit Pups?
It's a bit awkward for me when making my apps into sfs to know how to set up their particular libs. For me, a 'one-size-fits-all' (just one sfs does every Pup) would be nice.

The only real issue I've come across in bionicbeta64 so far is I see an old problem with my multitude of drive icons not displaying tidily when doing a change to their set-out.
The default display was OK (no piles) but took two rows so with JWMDesk Manager, I changed the spacing to get just one row of icons across the pinboard bottom.
The first couple are OK then an odd space then after a couple more, the remaining twenty or so just form a pile (screenshot has settings I wanted and the result).

Is this something in Puppy Event Manager (I could try a Slacko64 version)?

Thanks again, and eagerly looking forward to your progression through the Greek alphabet with this 64-bit Bionic :D ,

David S.
Attachments
lib64-link-to-lib.jpg
is there any Puppy standard on setting up lib32 and lib64 in /usr?
(27.77 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
driveicons-piledup.jpg
changing set out goes awry
(101.44 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

Mike Walsh

#92 Post by Mike Walsh »

David, see my post above in response to LateAdopter's 'moan' about a similar issue.

Maybe it'll help for you, too.

mikeslr

Re: Drive icon pile-up problem and lib64 comment

#93 Post by mikeslr »

davids45 wrote:...

A few have missing lib problems which made me look at how you've handled the directories in /usr for 32-bit and 64-bit lib files. You've made a simple link for the lib64 directory to /usr/lib (screenshot). This looks a bit different to other 64-bit Pups (Slacko, Stretch?) where there is a 'real' lib64 directory as well as lib and lib32. Am I right and is there any agreed policy in Puppy on how to handle this 'confusion' (to me at least) of the extra lib directories in the 64-bit Pups?...
Hi david45 & 666philb,

FWIW, my experience has been that Ubuntu* based Puppies neither handle multi-architecture the same way as the Ubuntu's whose binaries went into their making, nor Slackos. Ubuntus actually use three folders named x86_64-linux-gnu to hold 64-bit libs. One is within a parent folder /lib, another at /usr/lib and the third within /usr/local/lib. For whatever reason, Ubuntu based Puppies can neither use, nor even find, those folders.

The Puppy work-around has been to move libs which would have been in a x86_64-linux-gnu into its parent /lib folder. That works with the only potential problem being that Ubuntu uses the same name for both the 64 and 32 bit version of a lib. There's a chance that a user employing both 32 and 64 bit applications might have an application requiring a 32-bit lib which was over-written by a 64-bit lib of the same name moved to its location. That generates a failure to run and a "Wrong Elf class notice".

Slackos, following the Slackware model, place 64-bit libs in three folders named lib64, one in each of the above parent folders. If my flaky memory serves, on one occasion while building a Ubuntu pet rather than moving libs from a x86_64-linux-gnu folder to its parent /lib folder I created a /lib64 folder and moved the libs into it. The Ubuntu based Puppy was able to find and use those libs.

It would probably require a change at the Woof level for Ubuntu based Puppies to automatically move 64-bit libs into /lib64 folders when debs are being installed (change in petget?). But that change might be simpler than either figuring out why Ubuntu based Puppies can find x86_64-linux-gnu folders, or modifying Woof so that Ubuntu based Puppies handle Multi-architecture the same way Ubuntu does.

* This problem also arises when using 64-bit debian-based Puppies or their libs.

666philb

#94 Post by 666philb »

yes at the moment /lib64 & /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu are links to /lib (as are the ones in /usr). this causes problems for .sfs packages as they don't respect the symlink.
pets do though

/lib/i386-linux-gnu & /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu are actual folders for 32bit libs in bionicpup. this is where the 32bit compatibility sfs installs to.

wdlkmpx is planning on changing this at some point in woofce.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

New iso

#95 Post by 666philb »

New iso uploaded, link on 1st page

changes ......

new kernel 4.14.71, hopefully this fixes the shutdown problems
kodi repos should now install properly, problem was kodi repository now a separate package.
homebank rebuilt with working help
compton now has vsync on by default
psync fix ... problem was an older pet overwriting the one in woofce
python3 now installs when needed as a dependency
openshot 2.4.1 now installs from the PPM ... a bit hacky, it fires up sc0ttmans 'pkg' to grab the remaining deps
sfsload should now run ldconfig when the 32bit compatibility sfs is installed
added missing icons for gnome-mpv
added findnrun icons & missing help
changed trash icon colour
skype should install and run direct from the website

plus all the latest fixes at woofce
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

sheldonisaac

Re: New iso

#96 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb (in part) wrote:New iso uploaded, link on 1st page

changes ......

new kernel 4.14.71, hopefully this fixes the shutdown problems
psync fix ... problem was an older pet overwriting the one in woofce
Thanks a lot, 666philb.

So far, very good, on this Dell laptop E6410 from about 2010 or 2011.

(Oh, I just adapted this, after stealing it from bigpup's post:
Bionicpup64 7.9.4, Frugal install on SSD hard drive, format ext 4, using save folder.
Processor i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz)

I think I had to install

Code: Select all

31331 Sep 21 14:21 Psync-2.6.pet
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 02#1005302
to make psync work?

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

bigpup

#97 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 7.9.4
Frugal install on USB hard drive, format ext 3, using save folder.
Processor Intel i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz.

Shutdown fixed. :D
No problems with shutdown.

Homebank help now works. :D

Still seeing this problem.
All Puppies you have developed that had PaleMoon built in.
One minor problem about the home page at start of PaleMoon.

Very first time you run PaleMoon.
The Puppy home page is shown.
/usr/share/doc/home.htm

Second time you run PaleMoon.
It starts showing the PaleMoon start page.
https://palemoon.start.me/start

On the second start of Palemoon.
If you go into the PaleMoon>Prefernces>General
Change the home page to:
file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
Palemoon now always starts on the Puppy home page.

Something in Palemoon is doing this change automatically.
Probably have to live with it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#98 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 7.9.4
Frugal install on USB hard drive, format ext 3, using save folder.
Processor Intel i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz.

I was looking at the RAM usage to see what this version of Puppy may require.

Htop results:

At bootup and and no programs running.
Around 550MB

With only PaleMoon browser running.
Around 750MB.

Looks like a 1GB RAM minimum Puppy.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Terry H

#99 Post by Terry H »

New clean frugal install on laptop Dell Core i3-5005 on USB Flash ext4 format saved to folder. Shutdown and reboot OK.

Looking pretty good at the moment.
bigpup wrote: Very first time you run PaleMoon.
The Puppy home page is shown.
/usr/share/doc/home.htm

Second time you run PaleMoon.
It starts showing the PaleMoon start page.
https://palemoon.start.me/start

On the second start of Palemoon.
If you go into the PaleMoon>Prefernces>General
Change the home page to:
file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
Palemoon now always starts on the Puppy home page.

Something in Palemoon is doing this change automatically.
Probably have to live with it.
My experience with palemoon is different. I set palemoon to show home page, but regardless of what I have set as home page, it always displays '/usr/share/doc/home.htm'. To get to the home page I have to click the home button.

I set up a start.me customized page, which I have been using and want this page displayed on startup instead of the puppy default home page. As bigpup said, something I have to live with.
Last edited by Terry H on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#100 Post by 666philb »

Hi bigpup,

With palemoon i don't think that i'm allowed to change it's default start-page when shipping it with puppy. you are allowed if you compile it yourself and remove all branding like 01micko did. (this used to be the case)

i'm probably being a bit naughty showing the puppy welcome screen once on first launch! :D

as for minimum specs, it definitely needs more oomph than xenialpup.
a cheapo vista ready (it wasn't really vista ready!) core-duo 2gb laptop runs it well.

my crappy netbook 1ghz dualcore (that's 500mhz a core and cpu that's 1cm square) struggles with bionicpup but was just about okish with xenialpup