BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#561 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:Thanks Fred, forgot to mention that I need it to run unattended like last time (in Startup).
But I remember that I can pipe the password, so modified your suggestion a little and problem resolved. Smile
Piping password is not very secure, just a tip:
You can add exceptions for sudo asking for password if the user is added to group "wheel"
Maybe you have file: "/etc/sudoers.d/user_wheel" already, content for me is:

Code: Select all

%wheel ALL= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/poweroff, /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, /usr/bin/wmreboot, /usr/bin/save2flash, /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
So, for example, if you have fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh in /usr/local/bin :

%wheel ALL= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/poweroff, /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, /usr/bin/wmreboot, /usr/bin/save2flash, /usr/sbin/pm-suspend, /usr/local/bin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh
Then after logout (type logout at the console) and back in (or after reboot), you should be able to use:
sudo fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh
And there will be no prompt for password.

EDIT: If you create such a file in /etc/sudoers.d/, it must have permissions 0440

Fred

fredx181

#562 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:Re: the /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

I'm using e.g. PUPSFS from /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to create some global variables / environment variables at boot ($MYBOOTDIR, $MYBOOTPRT, $MYRSHROXAPPS etc.). These environment variables gives easy access to my external Scripts, Programs and RoxApps, no matter what the boot device is named (sda1, sdb3 etc.pp.).
There is not one file like PUPSTATE with all info inside, but there are several.
Look in /mnt/live/etc and /mnt/live/tmp

Some scripts use for example /mnt/live/etc/homedrv that reflects the frugal install dir, and e.g:

hdrv=$(cat /mnt/live/etc/homedrv | cut -d'/' -f3)
echo $hdrv
Will give the boot partition.

Also there's log file '/var/log/porteus-livedbg' with info that can be used to extract variables maybe.

Fred

ITSMERSH

#563 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Fred.

Thanks for the reply. At least there's something I could use to achieve some of my goals. Just as a side note: all those files containing '//' in the path of $MYBOOTDIR

#  data found in:
/mnt/sda1//BionicDogClean/casper

/mnt/sda1//BionicDogClean/casper

fredx181

#564 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote: all those files containing '//' in the path of $MYBOOTDIR
Yes, but that never gave me any problems to extract from it.

dcung

#565 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:Piping password is not very secure, just a tip:
You can add exceptions for sudo ....
Yes, I am aware of security implications.
I also came across ways of using sudo exceptions while researching the issue.
Thank you for these tips and advise, but for this one laptop concerned, I have nothing of value. :)

nic007

#566 Post by nic007 »

Is this a Puppy? What can I expect differently as far as operating is concerned. Will one be able to use Puppy scripts, for example Puppy's remaster scripts, etc. It seems newer than the newest released official Puppy (is that Xenial, I'm getting totally confused). I see a Bionicpup has been released (albeit in beta phase), how is that different?
Last edited by nic007 on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

#567 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

it is light ubuntu, and light debian,
but much better... it can use puppy scripts sometimes...
it has quick remaster in lz4 compress.

nic007

#568 Post by nic007 »

zagreb999 wrote:regards

it is light ubuntu, and light debian,
but much better... it can use puppy scripts sometimes...
it has quick remaster in lz4 compress.
What does it do "much better"?

Moat

#569 Post by Moat »

Hmm... to me, I wouldn't necessarily say "better" - just different. And no - it's not a Puppy.

Nic - have you ever ran a traditional install of Ubuntu/Debian? The Dogs are pretty much exactly that - pure Ubuntu/Debian - but with the added Puppy-like capability of running (frugally and speedily) from a flash stick with persistence, along with a host of it's own (Fred's) custom scripts/tools/programs. No need for Puppy-based remastering tools at all - the Dog's remastering tools are simple, flexible and fast (superior even, I'd say).

Packages are handled by the tried-and-true, very powerful tool "apt" (using Synaptic as the GUI front-end) - which seamlessly takes care of dependencies, install logs, package cleanup/purging, official updates, etc. - directly accessing the huge, constantly updated and maintained repos of Ubuntu/Debian. Things just work - no hunting down Puppy-specific, specially-compiled packages. Just click and go. The biggest downside to that seems to be size - starting from a small, minimal .iso, things tend to grow in a hurry when installing apps & building up a personalized system... resolving all of those "official" dependencies.

Pound-for-pound, I'd say Puppy is more capable/powerful... out-of-the-box. It's in adding more traditional, popular apps to that base where the tables turn in the Dog's favor, IMHO. At least in terms of ease, available applications and consistency, anyway.

So a bit of a trade-off, I suppose. But simply fantastic in it's own way, and definitely worth the effort up front to give it/them a try. I think it's my favorite Linux distro of all time, actually - so flexible, modifiable, powerful (even for a muddle-headed non-techie like myself). Again, just like straight-up Debian/Ubuntu... but flyin' along from a thumb drive!?! :shock: Just too cool... 8)

Burn a disc, and get busy. :)

Just my humble opinion - YMMV.

Bob

zagreb999

#570 Post by zagreb999 »

MUCH BETTER means:

debiandog and xenialdog can instal ALL apps
from debian and ubuntu-
over 50000 apps...
it is more faster because of lz4 compression...
remaster in 10 sec....
and MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!

backi

#571 Post by backi »

Fully agree Moat and Zagreb.
You hit the Nail.

Greetings from " NEW ABSURDISTAN " ......(formerly known as " GERMANY " )

Seems all those Hardcore Fans are coming out of the Closet now!

nic007

#572 Post by nic007 »

Thanks for the replies. No, I've never used any other linux distribution besides Puppy. So the difference seems to be better package management... but it's not faster running, etc. I suppose the general packages that comes with Puppy is good enough for me although I do run Wine sometimes for some of my favourite windows apps.

rufwoof

#573 Post by rufwoof »

zagreb999 wrote:MUCH BETTER means:

debiandog and xenialdog can instal ALL apps
from debian and ubuntu-
over 50000 apps...
it is more faster because of lz4 compression...
remaster in 10 sec....
and MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!
I suspected that something like that would be your definition of BETTER. Respect that, but here's a outline of mine. Debian prefer you to just use their base/main repos only, adding contrib and/or non-free induces risks. Go even wider and add yet other repos and you further increase the risk. But as you say loads of apps to try out. When I was running Debian my base only install, not a particularly large range of apps, had 1700+ vulnerabilities. Some of those would have been security vulnerabilities. That wasn't to my liking so I switched over to OpenBSD. Fewer apps, slower, single repo and system supplied in a ready out of the box configuration that was refined by experts. Fewer security risks. For me that is BETTER as I value not having my identity stolen and avoiding the years of strife that can cause (court cases, baliffs knocking your door to confiscate assets for something you never did etc.) is BETTER. DebianDog in contrast is the complete polar opposite, turns Debian into a FrankenDebian as they call it, along with running as root (even vlc and google chrome which both google and vlc went out of their way to try and prevent for security reasons).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

zagreb999

#574 Post by zagreb999 »

regards mr. rufwoof!

debiandog and xenialdog are the best
os's of all time, because -you are architect
of them. quickremaster is the best tool
i have ever seen!
dd and xd are very simple, good organized...
instead of root you can use puppy,
or create your login password.

compliments!

fredx181

#575 Post by fredx181 »

rufwoof wrote:FrankenDebian
Maybe then you can find a better way to sabotage instead of your lame attempt a while back ?
(oh, no... you may get banned again)

OK, without sarcasm, I think it would be appropriate that you apologize, or do you think your action was "justified" because you see it as "FrankenDebian" ?

Moat

#576 Post by Moat »

Why rufwoof continually and zealously exclaims his hyper-security notions/bend (paranoia?) at ALL here in the Puppy forum, of all places - being Puppy, FatDog and the Dogs are all fundamentally "run-as-root" distros by default and have been since the beginning, with thousands of happy, "un-breached" users - is completely beyond me. There are literally hundreds of other distros for him to choose from which honor something more akin to his idea of proper security practices. Hundreds!!

As a fringe, narrowly-focused hobbyist experiment - sure... I can understand the intention and interest. But to actually criticize the distro(s), itself...????

C'mon. That's like buying a Corvette at a Jeep dealership - and then criticizing about how poorly it performs offroad... :? As if we don't know what a 'Vette is for!?!

:lol: :lol: Makes no sense...

Bob
Attachments
FrankenVette.jpg
A fun experiment, maybe, but...
(97.49 KiB) Downloaded 869 times

rufwoof

#577 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:you see it as "FrankenDebian" ?
That's the official Debian terminology ... as you very well know. You create a Debian Live derivative, but never post about it on the Debian boards/forums, as again you know the consequences.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#578 Post by rufwoof »

Moat wrote:Why rufwoof continually and zealously exclaims his hyper-security notions/bend (paranoia?) at ALL here in the Puppy forum, of all places - being Puppy, FatDog and the Dogs are all fundamentally "run-as-root" distros by default and have been since the beginning, with thousands of happy, "un-breached" users - is completely beyond me.
Makes no sense... Bob
When things are proclaimed as safe :lol:, when known to be otherwise along with the potential consequences of such misleading, its sensible to point such out for the benefit of those that might otherwise be misled.
As a fringe, narrowly-focused hobbyist experiment
Fringe hobbyist toys can be fun to mess around with, but shouldn't be portrayed as being something they are not.

s243a

#579 Post by s243a »

rufwoof wrote:
fredx181 wrote:you see it as "FrankenDebian" ?
That's the official Debian terminology ... as you very well know. You create a Debian Live derivative, but never post about it on the Debian boards/forums, as again you know the consequences.
I thought "Bionic" would imply an Ubuntu derivative but I supposes Ubuntu was based on debian. Anway, if there is a repo that you don't want in your package manager why not just remove the repo and if want to run the system as a different user than why not just do it? Your free to customize fredx181's releases as you like. You don't need to force your preferences on anyone else. However, you could release your own variant and see if others buy into it.

dancytron

#580 Post by dancytron »

nic007 wrote:Thanks for the replies. No, I've never used any other linux distribution besides Puppy. So the difference seems to be better package management... but it's not faster running, etc. I suppose the general packages that comes with Puppy is good enough for me although I do run Wine sometimes for some of my favourite windows apps.
There are some other advances, some that ideally Puppy will copy.

The apt2sfs script will automatically create an sfs file with all the dependencies correctly set up by just typing in the package name. So, for example, I can just type in "prboom-plus" and an sfs will all the dependencies will be automatically created, ready to use.

Another advance Puppy should look at is when save2flash is run, it doesn't just save the contents of the tmpfs, it also purges some (not sure of the criteria) from the tmpfs. When you are running out of memory because the tmpfs is filling up in Puppy, you have to reboot. In Debian Dog etc, you can just run save2flash and get the memory back.

The remaster process is different. It supports lz4, making it lightning fast. It also is set up where is will automatically backup old files, replace them with new files, and then reboot into the new remastered installation. You can literally fill out one dialog screen, press the button, and be rebooting into your newly remastered system in 3 or 4 minutes.

Also, an automatic kernel upgrade to the latest kernel.

There are other things that Puppy does that Debian Dog does just a little better, but these are the ones that stand out.