EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
charlie6

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 32 bits md5sums codes mismatch

#1021 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Barry,
thanks a lot for the 32 bits version of EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 :)
I downloaded 2 times the devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs file and got each time the same md5sum
# md5sum devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs
a210137a0efb4efbdaf204012d9beb08 devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs
which differs from the one in sfs-sha1sums.txt
Same result for the kernel_src-4.14.65-patched.sfs

Am I missing something?
Best regards
Charlie
(posted from EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 32 bits on USB 32GB USB key on a dell optiplex 790 with radeon graphic card)

last edited:
Although using the downloaded devx and kernel-headers for succesfully compiling of both wacom.ko kernel module and xf86-input-wacom module.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1022 Post by BarryK »

Have an ongoing problem with SNS (Simple Network Setup), sometimes Internet connection fails, for both wireless and wired, even though the network is up and the dhcp server is running.

I have been reading the man page for 'dhcpcd', it seems, that it may or may not daemonize (run in the background) immediately, before writing to /etc/resolv.conf

There is a "--waitip" option, to make sure that it writes to /etc/resolv.conf before backgrounding, however, I decided not to use that option, instead to put in some tests.

I have modified /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network and sns. Previously only had "sleep 0.1" after running dhcpcd, now will wait longer if necessary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 32 bits md5sums codes mismatch

#1023 Post by BarryK »

charlie6 wrote:Hi Barry,
thanks a lot for the 32 bits version of EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 :)
I downloaded 2 times the devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs file and got each time the same md5sum
# md5sum devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs
a210137a0efb4efbdaf204012d9beb08 devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs
which differs from the one in sfs-sha1sums.txt
Same result for the kernel_src-4.14.65-patched.sfs

Am I missing something?
Best regards
Charlie
(posted from EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 32 bits on USB 32GB USB key on a dell optiplex 790 with radeon graphic card)

last edited:
Although using the downloaded devx and kernel-headers for succesfully compiling of both wacom.ko kernel module and xf86-input-wacom module.
You have to use the 'sha1sum' utility:

Code: Select all

# sha1sum devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs 
2d5f469314cc1a281b8ee4d616ba2a9b97aebea3  devx-0.9.6-pyro32.sfs
If you use the "sfsget" icon at top of screen, it will automatically do this check.

I probably should be consistent, instead of using md5sum some places, sha1sum in other places. Maybe standardize on 'sha512sum'.

Philh

#1024 Post by Philh »

Easy Pyro 0.9.6 32
Ive selected radeon video driver but playing videos with xine is very jerky
I get this in the console
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vo_vdpau: Can't create vdp device : No vdpau implementation.
libva info: VA-API version 1.1.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)

When I plug in a usb stick I dont get an icon on the desktop but its there in pmount.
dmesg gives

[ 729.880162] udevd[8316]: failed to execute '/usr/sbin/obex-check-device' '/usr/sbin/obex-check-device 26bd 9917': No such file or directory

which is missing.

rameshiyer

Raspbherry PI3

#1025 Post by rameshiyer »

No body responds to my problem with regard to shrinking of desktop display. After rebooting 2nd time my display shows shrink to 640 x480. Whereas my monitor 21 Inch. How to make display in full screen.

scsijon

Re: Raspbherry PI3

#1026 Post by scsijon »

rameshiyer wrote:No body responds to my problem with regard to shrinking of desktop display. After rebooting 2nd time my display shows shrink to 640 x480. Whereas my monitor 21 Inch. How to make display in full screen.
Guess we need further info, like:

\ make/model and specs for video;
\ how are you connecting them together;
\ which device/pc is it with the problem;
\ which version of pyro/beaver;
\ any error messages in /tmp/xerrs.log (may need to attach or if small then just add it as a quote);

just too start with.

I take it you've already dropped out of the x server and tried resetting it up with the video wizard with it failing (full error message would be helpfull) or failing afterwards when rebooted again (in which case there should be something in the /tmp/xerrs.log).

I and others are not on all the time so a reply may take some days after you add something.

spotted

Pi3+ not booting

#1027 Post by spotted »

I have bought a Pi 3B+ and been able to get don570's Pi effort and james bongs xu4 puppys breakfast (copied his fd-arm in besides don's renamed.sfs.) running on it.
BUT Easy Pi3 will not kick in, just gets to the rainbow colours (practical jokers at Pi taking the pizz, it looks like the doze logo without the window borders) There must be some difference the 3b and the 3b+ apart from the speed bump.
Just for kicks I put q.sfs into dons pi3 AND it kicks in, I got the rainbow at first and thought to myself, this aint going to work, then 4 berries popped up, alas a whole page of errors followed. Is there someone who knows coding that can see what I need to tale from don570 and put in BK Pi to boot Easy Pi3, thanks.

don570 cmdline
pkeys=en waitdev=3 savefile=direct:local basesfs=device:mmcblk0p1:/fatdogarm/fd-arm.sfs

don570 config
# Safest video mode but small - 640 pixels wide
#hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4
# Enable on-board audio
dtparam=audio=on
# force audio to headphone jack (Set to 1)
hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1
initramfs initrd.rpi3
[pi3]
kernel=vmlinuz.rpi3
# Uncomment this line before installation if you want to enable USB boot
#program_usb_boot_mode=1

don570 uEnv
datadev=mmcblk0p1

BK pi3 cmdline
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 elevator=deadline rootwait net.ifnames=0 rw loglevel=3

BK pi3 config
dtparam=audio=on
initramfs initrd.q followkernel

don570

#1028 Post by don570 »

I wasn't able to get EasyOS 0.9.6.3 64-bit to boot up
with my raspberry pi3+

The config file was definitely recognized because the resolution from the
config file was read. But nothing from the kernel was read.

The green light on my board kept flashing which is unusual .

Normally if there is something wrong with the kernel, there is red light.

I'm not very knowledgeable about kernels but it would indicate, that chaining (a handoff) was successful , and the kernel code began to be read in. Errors are caused ---> 32bit drivers and code on a 64 bit OS

Cu Chulinux

#1029 Post by Cu Chulinux »

@rameshiyer

This shrinking desktop is on your RPi? That uses hdmi output correct? Is it really 640x480 (big grainy icons) or is it just miniaturized (maybe refresh rate issue)? What monitor? I thought even 640x480 on lcd's filled the screen (big BIG grainy icons).

Does hdmi even do 640x480? I thought smallest hdmi was 720p.

I've yet to try Easy on my RPi, still running Quirky 8.1 (when it's on).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1030 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote:Easy B' 0.9.4. Containers show comment option - when clicked after a container/snapshot is selected shows a empty leafpad text editor content despite the snapshot having comments added.
Thanks, fixed.

belham2

#1031 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Easy B' 0.9.4. Containers show comment option - when clicked after a container/snapshot is selected shows a empty leafpad text editor content despite the snapshot having comments added.
Thanks, fixed.
Hi Barry & all,

Easy 0.9.6 has been running great here on the old Core I3 laptop, and the Containers have presented no problems except for sound in Firefox.

Is there something I goofed up in installing Firefox from PPM? I can't get sound to work in and/or outside a Container for Firefox, yet Seamonkey sound works like a charm.

What confuses me is it appears pusleaudio_11.1 is already installed, along with libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0. So shouldn't Firefox have no sound problems with these 3 installed?

Thank you to anyone who can clear this up.

P.S. Installed latest chromium from PPM, works good provided you start it with the "--no-sandbox" trick in it's .desktop file. But, alas, can't get chromium to run in a Container, even when setting Chromium to be the "DefaultBrowser", and setting up a Container for the DefaultBrowser, Easy OS just overrides things & resets Seamonky as the default browser despite it clearly not being the default in /usr/local/bin. Thought maybe chromium would give sound inside a Container but can't do it since Easy is preventing it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1032 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Thanks, fixed.
Hi Barry & all,

Easy 0.9.6 has been running great here on the old Core I3 laptop, and the Containers have presented no problems except for sound in Firefox.

Is there something I goofed up in installing Firefox from PPM? I can't get sound to work in and/or outside a Container for Firefox, yet Seamonkey sound works like a charm.

What confuses me is it appears pusleaudio_11.1 is already installed, along with libpulse0 and libpulse-mainloop-glib0. So shouldn't Firefox have no sound problems with these 3 installed?

P.S. Installed latest chromium from PPM, works good provided you start it with the "--no-sandbox" trick in it's .desktop file. But, alas, can't get chromium to run in a Container, even when setting Chromium to be the "DefaultBrowser", and setting up a Container for the DefaultBrowser, Easy OS just overrides things & resets Seamonky as the default browser despite it clearly not being the default in /usr/local/bin. Thought maybe chromium would give sound inside a Container but can't do it since Easy is preventing it.
You might have better luck with sound in the next release.

However, Easy does not use pulseaudio. I will probably compile latest firefox soon, with alsa, no need pulseaudio.

rufwoof

#1033 Post by rufwoof »

In the past I've got sound working using ... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 355#995355

0.9.4 for me however has seamonkey's sound in desk container working out of the box. Installing chromium from inside the desk containers PPM also has sound working fine out of the box (updated PPM before searching for chromium, and examined/installed all default dependencies and also ran the Trim the Fat option when offered). Running from terminal cli using chromium --no-sandbox.

Have you checked the alsa/sound settings inside the container?

Chromium wont run as root, not without the --no-sandbox parameter. If inside 'desk' container in a terminal session I su - rover (or spot, or zeus) and run chromium it doesn't run and reports

Code: Select all

# su - rover
# chromium
Failed to move to new namespace: PID namespaces supported, Network namespace supported, but failed: errno = Operation not permitted
Trace/breakpoint trap
which from a quick search is suggested as being a user namespaces is not enabled in your kernel issue ...https://github.com/jessfraz/dockerfiles ... -266532289
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1034 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
BarryK wrote: Thanks, fixed.
Hi Barry & all,

However, Easy does not use pulseaudio. I will probably compile latest firefox soon, with alsa, no need pulseaudio.
Easy now has a Chromium PET:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/chromium- ... asyos.html

Ha ha, I forgot to put that "--no-sandbox" into the PET! Will have to re-upload it. If you get the "wrong" one, just edit /usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop

belham2

#1035 Post by belham2 »

BarryK wrote:
BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote: Hi Barry & all,

Easy now has a Chromium PET:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/chromium- ... asyos.html

Ha ha, I forgot to put that "--no-sandbox" into the PET! Will have to re-upload it. If you get the "wrong" one, just edit /usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop

Hi Barry,

I un-installed the chromium from Easy 0.9.6 PPM, restarted, then installed your chromium.pet and the apulse. Every thing works good. Still cannot get Chromium to work in a Container (for some reason, 'Easy Container Management' won't recognize chromium is installed, so that one could make a container for it and run it in that.

It's no biggie, though, I am using rufwoof's trick he mentioned, and I run the "Container Desk", then download your apulse.pet & chromium.pet, install them, and chromium runs great (with sound) while inside the 'Container Desk'. Hopefully that'll afford some protection if I come across something bad while browsing, since it'll be operating inside the container-desk.

Will look forward to possible later Easy editions where your compiled Firefox (which Easy OS recognizes and Easy Container Management allows one to set up a Container for) will also have sound.

Thanks again!

rufwoof

#1036 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:I un-installed the chromium from Easy 0.9.6 PPM, restarted, then installed your chromium.pet and the apulse. Every thing works good. Still cannot get Chromium to work in a Container (for some reason, 'Easy Container Management' won't recognize chromium is installed, so that one could make a container for it and run it in that.

It's no biggie, though, I am using rufwoof's trick he mentioned, and I run the "Container Desk", then download your apulse.pet & chromium.pet, install them, and chromium runs great (with sound) while inside the 'Container Desk'. Hopefully that'll afford some protection if I come across something bad while browsing, since it'll be operating inside the container-desk.
Visualise a container as using the same base sfs, but having its own save area. When you install something in the main session then that's stored in the main sessions save area, which isn't visible by containers (that only see the base sfs + the containers own save area). If after installing into the main session you remastered a new base sfs, then containers would see the additional programs.

A problem is how can you install additional things into a container. That's easy in the desk container as its a full desktop setup, so you can run petget/PPM etc. inside that, but for other containers you'd have to manually copy files across.

Running chrome with --no-sandbox does remove much of Chrome's own internal security, but being in a container somewhat reinstates that security. Running a container as non-root should enable chrome to work as intended so you'd have both the internal chrome security and security of running inside a container. Barry however dropped being able to setup a container to run under a non-root userid, so AFAIK that isn't a current option.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

scsijon

using qt5? /etc/profile

#1037 Post by scsijon »

i'm adding the link in case barry is not following the quirky thread anymore.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 46#1006946

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1038 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote:Running chrome with --no-sandbox does remove much of Chrome's own internal security, but being in a container somewhat reinstates that security. Running a container as non-root should enable chrome to work as intended so you'd have both the internal chrome security and security of running inside a container. Barry however dropped being able to setup a container to run under a non-root userid, so AFAIK that isn't a current option.
Note that the goal-posts will have shifted with the upcoming Easy 0.9.7, as have moved to using the 'pflask' utility to run containers.

It will have the option of running as user 'zeus' in a container, so hopefully will be able to run Chromium without needing that "--no-sandbox".

I think 0.9.7 should be ready in about a week from now, maybe sooner.

rufwoof

#1039 Post by rufwoof »

pflask looks like a interesting alternative to Fatdogs http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/uml.html choice of UML

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1040 Post by BarryK »