Slacko64, sound works only on live boot (USB)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
ruslanch

Slacko64, sound works only on live boot (USB)

#1 Post by ruslanch »

Hi all,

have faced a little bit strange issue.
I've installed (FULL) Slacko32 6.3 (most fresh one), and fight against red cross on the speaker icon.
I have motherboard intel atom D425**, it has NM10 ICH7 Intel HDA controller (which I believe based on ALC662 chipset).
So, after playing a day with /etc/modprobe.d/alsa*.conf parameters like
options snd-hda-intel model=auto I've decided to try Slacko64 6.3.
I dunno if Slacko32 has a normal sound on a live usb-boot, didnt mentioned. But slacko64 has absolutely normal work with my sound card
being booted from USB.
So the most strange thing began after FULL-installation of Slacko64 on the hard drive (IDE if its important).
Speaker icon near the clock again has a red cross, aplay -l shows only motherboard's-Speaker.
(lspci -k but still shows Intel corporation Audio device d626 / kernel module snd_hda_intel, but No kernel driver in use).
Why it is so strange? Something changes during the files copy from usb to hdd? can't find out.

thank u & very appreciated for any advice

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Try running the multiple sound card wizard in setup. Boards these days seem to have hdmi & analog options & often hdmi is selected by default, but doesnt work. Failing that, a right-click on the taskbar sound icon allows you to adjust retrovol settings. Finally, some sound cards are muted by default - some controls need to be unmuted in /etc/init.d/alsa.conf.

ruslanch

partially solved

#3 Post by ruslanch »

hmm, it can be a bug in the pet FULL installer...
something get changed during the copying process from usb-flash drive onto internal IDE hard drive. The module snd_hda_intel refuses to load or can hang the whole system in case of forced loading into memory.

so I've got the bruteforce solution - just removed lib64 lib etc var usr directories and copied them from usb-live drive

ozsouth

#4 Post by ozsouth »

I wonder if you would have the same issues if you did a frugal install with a save folder? After 13 years of using Puppy, I started doing that a year ago, with much better results, as most pups are not designed for full install.

norgo

#5 Post by norgo »

@ruslanch

boot the live version from USB where the sound was working
look for the used kernelmodule

after that open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

modinfo kernelmodule
of course replace kernelmodule by the name of the used module

look for dependencies to other kernelmodules
and whether one of these needs a firmware

compare the result with the not working installation