Using applications, configuring, problems
kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

how get a clones of own puppy?remaster then copy all root in

#1 Post by kiramm »

i observed that all installed pets and sfs seems to be whished built in
(if specific puppy remaster works;)at my loved best suspend working
slackos seems not with me
thar was seems perfect had try thar first:() 2weeks lost with tying many versions of slacko

but nothing ese:( like apereance of desktop and panel arragment

possible somehow to take all root with its folders (there should be verything ?)

and delete the standard root and paste own root in puppy clone ?

how?

is there no real FULLremaster tool doing this automat?

maybe some setting will disturb at other pc where gets fresh started

but one could delete them like wifi ..delete profile ...before copy...

root....

veerry thanking in advance to help me

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

When you do the remaster, copy all of /root and all of /etc when given the opportunity to do so during the remaster.

Also, make a copy of your puppy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin file as a backup before you remaster. This is where your desktop is defined and that might get messed up after first boot.

kiramm

#3 Post by kiramm »

thank u

oprtunity is given when all ready before make iso cd?

then paste all in place where iso parts

or replace like here written:

One of them will give you the opportunity to change what you need in /tmp/root folder and in /tmp/etc folder.

When you get that chance replace /tmp/root and /tmp/etc with your current running /root and /etc. This way you should get an exact copy of your system.

u wrote :

Also, make a copy of your puppy /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin file as a backup before you remaster. This is where your desktop is defined and that might get messed up after first boot.

why before why.......when i get the chance....

can i not copy all ur 3 proposals

and paste them ......actually to which place?

i think to have seen remastering which is in puppy
is only to make puppy with other pets and sfs

but it looks same

that means if i paste my apereanc inside i must first delete
or exchange away the original apereance settings

with only pasting will be there my design of puppy and also the original

so what to do?

i tried that ram2sfs.gz too

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111871

but comand not found...

is this right for me:????

Remasterpup-Suite-2018 ...seems is secret

again 1 night away with looking around :)))

thank for hlping

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

In the standard remaster that comes with Puppy, it will ask you if you want to make any changes to the new root directory. I think it will be /tmp/root, but whereever it is, the script will tell you. That's when you copy /root (your old root) to /tmp/root (new root for remaster).

Then later, it will ask you the same thing about /etc. Once again, copy your /etc to /tmp/etc.

Remember to show hidden files when doing this.

That should accomplish what you want or very close to it.

kiramm

#5 Post by kiramm »

thank u!

but the place i copy in there is nothing necessary first to delete?

i mean the puppy walpaper will disapear and other stuff on desktop

or my stuff will get added ?

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

kiramm wrote:thank u!

but the place i copy in there is nothing necessary first to delete?

i mean the puppy walpaper will disapear and other stuff on desktop

or my stuff will get added ?
Yes, delete everything in /tmp/root and then copy your /root in its place. Then do the same with /etc. Then everything (almost anyway) will be the same.

At one time there was a really good explanation on this with screenshots and everything, but I couldn't find it.

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

dancytron wrote:
At one time there was a really good explanation on this with screenshots and everything, but I couldn't find it.
A post with pics by CatDude maybe? ---> Remastering a frugal install

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

perdido wrote:
dancytron wrote:
A post with pics by CatDude maybe? ---> Remastering a frugal install

Yes, that is it. :D

Good enough to archive https://web.archive.org/web/20181006030 ... hp?t=71349

When CatDude says "copy what you want from /etc" I am saying copy everything just like you did with /root to clone the hardware setup too.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm a bit fuzzy on all this re-master stuff, guys. Never really needed it.

If I want to transfer a Pup to another machine (or elsewhere), I simply copy the entire thing to a flash drive. I boot the new machine with a 'Puppy-on-a-stick'. I copy the whole thing (from the flash drive) across to where I want it. I then run Grub4DOS, from the running Puppy, and set up the bootloader. Or else edit 'menu.lst' manually, to add another entry.

I never bother with ISOs any more. Don't even use discs these days.

But if Kiramm wants an ISO of his Puppy (as it is), couldn't the same thing work? Copy the entire Puppy partition (or sub-directory) to a 'working' directory.....and then use IsoMaster/pBurn to create an ISO image?

Or is this essentially what the re-master process does? (And no; please don't point me in the direction of a re-master tutorial, etc. I'm really not that interested :lol: .....more curious than anything.)

Mike. :wink:

Billtoo

#10 Post by Billtoo »

Mike Walsh wrote:I'm a bit fuzzy on all this re-master stuff, guys. Never really needed it.

If I want to transfer a Pup to another machine (or elsewhere), I simply copy the entire thing to a flash drive. I boot the new machine with a 'Puppy-on-a-stick'. I copy the whole thing (from the flash drive) across to where I want it. I then run Grub4DOS, from the running Puppy, and set up the bootloader. Or else edit 'menu.lst' manually, to add another entry.

Hi Mike, I used your method to copy a Slacko64 install that I did a
couple of days ago.
Had to run xorgwizard to set video to radeon and screen resolution, ran
the network setup, eth0 became eth1.
It's working well, and I have a backup on the flash drive that I used
and will be putting in a safe place :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot that I had to run the Alsa Sound Wizard as well.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(84.33 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

kiramm

#11 Post by kiramm »

thank u for so many answers
so it s possible to copy all puppy sfs + save sfs

and then iso master makes a iso ?
that will run?

2 if i use remaster tutorial then firefox in xfce bar and show desktop will go over to remaster?for example....?

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Billtoo:-

Ah, that's good to hear. I thought it should work for others. Of course you'll need to make 'adjustments', here & there; that's to be expected when you're moving from one hardware combo to another.

As I understand it, with a re-master, everything is 'baked-in'; with my method, pets and SFSs remain loaded, and your save-file/folder is already there.

I perform back-ups like this, so I presume you could turn it into an ISO. i don't see any reason why not, unless the ISO-manufacture process deletes or misses out certain things.

I'm more than happy to be further educated on this point....

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

You may encounter problems with this method, for instance it may boot to the other machine's desktop but you may have a dead keyboard and dead mouse because of different hardware settings so you stranded in that case. What you can try with your method, is to delete the /etc folder in your savefile before the transfer, this may or may not work.

Edit: Deleting the /etc as I suggested didn't work. So the crux is: if one has a working keyboard and mouse one can get away with your method but you will still have to make corrections and probably have to get audio working as a previous poster mentioned. Remaster without customization is a better option in my view.

Billtoo

#14 Post by Billtoo »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Billtoo:-

Ah, that's good to hear. I thought it should work for others. Of course you'll need to make 'adjustments', here & there; that's to be expected when you're moving from one hardware combo to another.
I used the method on this pc which uses a TV via hdmi as a monitor, the entries in the puppy menu had letters missing here and there.
I found that the font manager needed the settings changed and the problem was fixed.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(183.8 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

mikeslr

Alternatives to Builtin Remaster

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kiramm & All,

Since the builtin remaster application has been around awhile, some (many) users have found it confusing and time-consuming, it's not surprising that several Puppy-fans have published alternatives.

I haven't had a reason to try any of the several which were recently published. About a year ago, when I decided to remaster Tahrpup 6.0.5, I used shinobar's remasterx, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 345#780345 and found it much easier and, thus, quicker than the builtin: I didn't have to spend time reading and understanding (I think) detailed instructions and manually copying files to the "work-folder". The application automatically does such copying if you made that choice.

ITSMERSH and stemsee have published alternatives. But I'll point out nic007's work in this area, primarily because although he posted to this thread, he didn't mention it. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 89#1001289 The applications posted there seem to be well thought out and easy to use.

kiramm

#16 Post by kiramm »

I TRIED REMASTERIX

it s less need to be ultr conc, reading text

but dont understand why there 2 time ..bottable iso + puppy iso

007 script needs same extra space ? in save file ?
the formula for that
maybe needs gaus algoritmuss?

-----------
Depends on how much data in your savefile and your compression method. Generally speaking - the current size of your base sfs and zdrv (if you have one) + any extra sfs's loaded + 40% of the size of the data in your savefile + the size of the new iso.
---------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_elimination

back to the lectuere linear algebra;)

otherwise mess up the puppy :((( i think that happened

how actually to make bake up of save file ? copy it to another place ?

and if 007 script mess it up then delete the messed up

and copy it back?
Attachments
puppybuild with sav file.png
here i can put my save.sfs and then remaster renders it to iso?
(67.62 KiB) Downloaded 54 times