How to prevent Firefox from auto-updating? - [Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
icosahedron

How to prevent Firefox from auto-updating? - [Solved]

#1 Post by icosahedron »

Can anyone help with resolving a Puppy/Firefox issue?

I’m using a Puppy that’s a bit of an Old Dog now (Lucid 5.2.5) and it doesn’t like Firefox’s New Tricks.

My Puppy can cope with Firefox 37, I’ve installed a PET of that and it works very nicely, doing everything I want it to do.

Except...

Firefox won’t leave me in peace. It keeps automatically updating FF37 to FF45.0.2, and the newer version is beyond my poor Puppy’s capability - meaning that the internet keeps crashing out. (possibly because I’m running live in RAM and FF45 may be too bloated to run in 1Gb...) Often, it will remember where it was before it crashed, but it’s still inconvenient.
Not only that, but the newer version of Firefox doesn’t want me to install NoScript, because it’s ‘unsigned’, and automatically disables it.

If I wanted it disabled, Mr Fox, I wouldn’t have installed it in the first place! Or, at the very least, you can ask my permission first! Who owns this computer??

I have tried typing ‘about:config’ into the address bar, and changing ‘app.update.auto from 'true’ to 'false’, but that doesn’t seem to do what it says on the tin; Firefox just ignores this and still updates itself automatically.

Is there any way to keep my Puppy working with Firefox 37 and to stop Firefox from automatically updating (or nagging me to do it manually). I’m happy with version 37 and I just want to use the version I’ve chosen, without any hassle.

Sooner or later, I know, I’m going to have to put my Puppy to sleep and get a new one, because nothing out there will talk to it any more, but I want to put off that sad day for as long as possible. I’ve got used to his little quirks, and I hate Firefox’s bully-boy tactics.

Thanks guys. :)
Last edited by icosahedron on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Computers: - I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Console/Terminal? What's that?
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

Use user.js. You should create it in your profile, next to where your pref.js is.
Hope that helps.

zagreb999

#3 Post by zagreb999 »

open ff37 tar.bz2,
delete update files ,
see screenshot
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-10-05_10-31-22.jpeg
(171.25 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

darry19662018

#4 Post by darry19662018 »

Absolutelty works for me using this method.

Galbi

#5 Post by Galbi »

I have these lines

Code: Select all

#######################################################
# No Firefox update
127.0.0.1 www.mozilla.org 
127.0.0.1 download.cdn.mozilla.net 
127.0.0.1 aus5.mozilla.org 
127.0.0.1 download.mozilla.org
#######################################################
in the /etc/hosts archive.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

souleau

#6 Post by souleau »

I'm running Puppy Precise 5.7.1, with FF, so I have had exactly the same dilemma you are having.

I'm running Firefox 45.02 right now, with NoScript, version 5.1.8.4, which works fine.

You can find older versions of Noscript here.

https://noscript.net/feed?c=100

You can download the file, and then manually install it as an add-on.

If you don't want FF to update automatically, you go to -Edit-Preferences-Advanced-Update, and check the - never check for updates box-.

icosahedron

#7 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks guys.

Foxpup, I’m not sure where my profile is, much less where pref.js is.

Zagreb, I’ll try deleting those files when I switch on tomorrow.

Galbi, I’m not sure what those lines of code are for. What is their significance?

Soleau, I found the earlier version of Noscript, and the never check for updates is already checked.
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

Galbi

#8 Post by Galbi »

icosahedron wrote:Galbi, I’m not sure what those lines of code are for. What is their significance?
Look here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
I usually add the lines mentioned above, to the hosts file downloaded from that site.
Whenever Ffox tries to update through one of that webs, it will fail because they point to the IP 127.0.0.1 which is your own machine.

It's a good security practice to change the hosts file provided by Puppy, for one of those modified (and regularly updated) hosts files, to avoid your machine connecting to undesirable sites.

Saludos.

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Galbi?

Doesn't your trick cancel out any access to Firefox plug-ins if we need one?
TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

musher0 wrote:Galbi?
Doesn't your trick cancel out any access to Firefox plug-ins if we need one?
TIA.
I almost don't use addons, but, to test, I've just installed Classic Theme Restorer without trouble.

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

foxpup

#12 Post by foxpup »

icosahedron wrote:Foxpup, I’m not sure where my profile is, much less where pref.js is.
Okay, some more info here.
The profile folder is in /root/.mozilla/firefox/ and probably will have "default" in its name, like 11drg1m.default.
In it is a lot of stuff like places.sqlite which has your bookmarks and history.
There is also prefs.js.
You create user.js as a file there and open it with geany or another texteditor and put these lines in it:

Code: Select all

// turn off application updates:
user_pref("app.update.enabled", false); 
user_pref("app.update.auto", false); 
user_pref("app.update.silent", false);
The first comment line is needed because the first line is ignored.
prefs.js is used and rewritten by firefox, whereas user.js is an optional file the user can create to override preferences initialized by other preferences files.

I use the trick from zagreb999 as well, renaming the updater files.

icosahedron

#13 Post by icosahedron »

Hi guys,

Zagreb, deleting those files seems to have done the trick. FF didn't auto-update yesterday. Thanks! :)

Foxpup, thanks for the extra info. I feel like I might be able to do that now - except that Zagreb's fix has already done the trick and it's quicker. Since I'm running live in RAM, I don't have to worry too much about deleting stuff.

Galbi, that material looks very useful for general security purposes, but it's outta my league at present (as you can see from my signature). I'd love to learn how to do that, though - thanks for showing me that it exists. Maybe with time I'll learn how to do it. Love your avatar, BTW. :)