Firefox to support Google's WebP image format

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
labbe5

Firefox to support Google's WebP image format

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-to-su ... aster-web/

Committing to a new image format on the web is a big deal. In addition to technical challenges and new security risks, embracing a new image format means embracing it for years and years, because removing support at some point in the future will break websites that rely on it.

Why the change of heart?

"We are seeing a number of developments coming together that might lead to an accelerated adoption of WebP," including Edge support, Mozilla said.

Mozilla is a major backer of another image format under development, AVIF. Where WebP is based on Google's VP8 video compression technology, AVIF is based on a newer video format called AV1 from a much broader group, the Alliance for Open Media. That alliance includes a lot of heavy hitters, including Google, Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Amazon, Netflix and Facebook, but most of its work is focused on the AV1 video format.

"We also look forward to AVIF being ready, and we will continue to invest in it," Mozilla said.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Since google have more than anyone invested in making the web as slow and unusable as possible I am sceptical about them championing 'faster' image formats...as if the existing ones are slow.
Also consider vp8 is the worst cpu hog going this all sounds like bull and further attempts to make the web google centric.

Corporate speak comes from the same school that politician speak did.

Well if you want to bring the 'news' onto here then opinions will follow :D

mike

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Nothing wrong with jpg and png... just remove the header space. Thats where the malicious code resides. No doubt google wants to embed tracking code.

One thing I notice about the VP8/9 technology is its large banwidth. Since H265 is already here, and VP9 is already here (2012), I don't see the need for FF to tackle VP8, as its antiquated/deprecated in favor of VP9. In short this is all WebM newspeak.

FWIW
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

As far as I am aware the embedded malicious code can only work in trident based html renderers (mshtml.dll) as used in IE and outlook express and even then those active x controls were dealt with many moons ago.

More to the current state of things is that do you remember those virii that basically self perpetuated by turning your computer into a web server.... well guess what the javascript abilities of modern browsers can do exactly that. You may have noticed on javascript heavy sites that not only do you see megs of downloading occurring but you will also notice several megs of data transmission also occurs.... since the pages in question usually want a few bytes of data and even profiling your machine only takes a few k what is the rest for...distributed servers for You Tube using your bandwidth.?... well I don't know but perhaps we should get to know.
So a new image format being pushed from the same source makes me wounder what the sting in the tail is going to be.

I would be paranoid but I have far too much web crud to workaround these days :D

mike