How to install Parallels Tools in a virtual Precise Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
genius7

How to install Parallels Tools in a virtual Precise Puppy?

#1 Post by genius7 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Puppy Linux as well as to this forum. I managed to install Precise Puppy Linux 5.7.1 in Parallels Desktop 14 as a virtual machine using this archaic guide https://johann.loefflmann.net/de/articl ... ualbox.txt . Having used this guide, the Puppy behaves as a normal installation, not as a live distribution (I hope you understand what I mean, being a newbie I may not have formulated it precisely).
As a next step I would like to install Parallels Tools (https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-tools/) in order to be able, among other things, to share clipboard between my Mac OS and the Puppy Linux.
However, after running the installation script, it says it cannot detect kernel headers and hpijs packages: https://i.imgur.com/cKdrcaE.png
Both are installed though: https://imgur.com/a/xo4BoNB
I then tried to bypass this check by running an installation script that doesn't check for this but I ran into a different error: https://i.imgur.com/aGnI7js.png
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I have no linux-headers folder under usr/src for linux kernel 3.9.11: https://i.imgur.com/dxqXebc.png

Anyone could help me or at least point me to the right direction?
Last edited by genius7 on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

perdido

Re: installing Parallels Tools

#2 Post by perdido »

genius7 wrote: I suspect it has something to do with fact that I have no linux-headers folder under usr/src for linux kernel 3.9.11: https://i.imgur.com/dxqXebc.png

Anyone could help me or at least point me to the right direction?
Welcome to the puppy forum!

Puppy Linux sometimes puts files where non-puppy friendly programs have trouble finding them.

The devx has the kernel headers for precise installed to /usr/include/
You may have to sym-link /usr/source to /usr/include/

Instructions follow for doing this in puppy
------------
If you have no /usr/source/ directory - you can just create a /usr/source sym-link using ROX-Filer (-see below for creating the sym-link using ROX-Filer)

If you already have a /usr/source/ directory that has entries - then sym-linking the directory will get more complicated.
You would need to move all the entries from the existing /usr/source/ directory to the /usr/include/ directory
Then delete the /usr/source/ directory before creating the sym-link (because the sym-link cannot be named the same as an existing directory)
then create the sym-link from /usr/source to /usr/include/ (-see below for creating the sym-link using ROX-Filer)
--------------------
You can create sym-links using the ROX-filer file manager in the Menu-->Filesystem-->ROX-Filer

Using ROX, right-click on the /usr/include/ directory
A menu will come up on the right side click on "Link"
A Symlink window comes up where you tell where to link to, That needs to be changed to /usr/source
Then click the "Symlink" button to create the sym-link.

This should at least help with the kernel headers missing issue.

genius7

#3 Post by genius7 »

Thank you for trying to help me.
perdido wrote: You would need to move all the entries from the existing /usr/source/ directory to the /usr/include/ directory
What exactly do you mean by "entries" and how do I accomplish what you propose in this step?
Last edited by genius7 on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

You probably have not downloaded and loaded the devx.sfs package for Precise 5.7.1
Get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... _5.7.1.sfs
Download and place it in /mnt/home
Use menu>System>Boot Manager>SFS Packages to select and load the devx.sfs package.

Puppy has two main SFS packages that have to be added to Puppy if you need what is in them.
devx.sfs
kernel sources.sfs (this is specific to the kernel being used)
They contain stuff that is not needed to normally run and use Puppy. It is extra stuff needed to compile programs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Not sure why you are using Precise 5.7.1 It is old version of Puppy.

You may get better results if you use a newer version of Puppy.
A lot has changed.
One that is listed here:
http://puppylinux.com/
YaPI(any iso installer)

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

genius7 wrote:Thank you for trying help me.
perdido wrote: You would need to move all the entries from the existing /usr/source/ directory to the /usr/include/ directory
What exactly do you mean by "entries" and how do I accomplish what you propose in this step?
Entries are any files or subdirectories that are currently located in the /usr/source/ directory

You may or may not have a /usr/source/ directory.

genius7

#7 Post by genius7 »

bigpup wrote:Not sure why you are using Precise 5.7.1 It is old version of Puppy.

A lot has changed.
One that is listed here:
Because I thought these were some weird offshoots and I wanted to use pure Puppy to have a proper support. Please educate me if I was mistaken.
perdido wrote: ...
I was talking about usr/src while you're talking about usr/source. Are they not the same? I have usr/src but I don't have usr/source.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

genius7 wrote:
bigpup wrote:Not sure why you are using Precise 5.7.1 It is old version of Puppy.

A lot has changed.
One that is listed here:
Because I thought these were some weird offshoots and I wanted to use pure Puppy to have a proper support. Please educate me if I was mistaken.
perdido wrote: ...
I was talking about usr/src while you're talking about usr/source. Are they not the same? I have usr/src but I don't have usr/source.
Ahh. Sorry about that. No not the same.
I looked at /usr/src/ and thought /usr/source/

--------
The problem with the headers is that the devx put them in /usr/include/ and your script is looking in /usr/src/

mikeslr

Post Precise Puppies aren't weird offshoots

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Originally all components of Puppies were compiled by Barry K. Then, several years ago, Barry published the "3" Series of Puppies which were based on binaries compiled under Slackware. Although he later published "4" Series Puppies, perhaps during his venture into using Slackware binaries he realized the commonality existing among all Linux distros and was inspired to create Woof. Woof is a build-program which in theory can use the binaries of any Linux Distro to create a Puppy. In practice, however, most recent Puppies have been "woofed" using binaries of either Ubuntu, debian, or Slackware. [IIRC, there was a Mageia Puppy, and several efforts toward creating a functional "Arch-Puppy"].

All* recent Puppies are 'Woof' builds. Slackos are Woofed from various versions of Slackware, dpups from versions of debian, and "ubuntus" from versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Puppies reflect their Ubuntu parentage in their names. Lucid Puppy (AKA Lupu) was woofed using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx binaries; Precise using the binaries of Precise Pangolin; Tahrpup those of Trusty Tahr, and Xenialpup those of Xenial Xerus. Upupbb and Bionicpup64 are the most recent, making use of the binaries, respectively, of the 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu Bionic Beaver.

Several years of work by a number of Puppy's most talented members have gone into continuing the development of woof, and where necessary, its modification to handle the changes made by the distros whose binaries are to be used.

Using the binaries of a major distro renders a Puppy 'binary compatible' which, in turn, enables it to access and directly install packages from the repositories of the distro-version whose binaries were used in its creation. A functioning installation of such "alien" packages requires that foundations [dependencies: libraries and sometime entire othe packages] also be installed. Each improvement in woof has resulted in a Puppy Package Manager, generated by woof, more accurate than its predecessor. Precise's was good; Xenialpup almost perfect. "BionicPups" appears to be at the Xenialpup level; but the "BionicPups", especially the 64-bit version, are rather new.

* IIRC, the binaries of FatDog are compiled by the FatDog Team, most recently employing Linux-from-scratch, after which they are woofed to create FatDog.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

If the above post by mikeslr does not clear it up for you.

Any Puppy version shown for download at this website
http://puppylinux.com/ is an official version of Puppy.

One other thing.
Just because a Puppy version is using core Linux files/programs from other Linux OS repositories.
Stuff that has to be in a Linux OS to make it just work.
About 80% of any Puppy version is made up of very much Puppy specific files and programs.
Also, Puppy does a lot of things the Puppy way, not the main stream Linux way!

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#11 Post by genius7 »

bigpup wrote:
You probably have not downloaded and loaded the devx.sfs package for Precise 5.7.1
Get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... _5.7.1.sfs
Download and place it in /mnt/home
Use menu>System>Boot Manager>SFS Packages to select and load the devx.sfs package.

Puppy has two main SFS packages that have to be added to Puppy if you need what is in them.
devx.sfs
kernel sources.sfs (this is specific to the kernel being used)
They contain stuff that is not needed to normally run and use Puppy. It is extra stuff needed to compile programs.
I must have completely missed this post, I'm sorry.
I did as you said but I'm unable to select SFS Packages in Boot Manager, there is no such option: https://i.imgur.com/WNfCgoe.jpg
However, when I right click the downloaded package in /mnt/home, there is an option to load it: https://i.imgur.com/lN1Dlhq.jpg
but it gives me an error: https://i.imgur.com/16cjXR9.jpg

Any advice on this please?

a_salty_dogg

#12 Post by a_salty_dogg »

deleted
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Mon 08 Oct 2018, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

That message that says the SFS package is installed may be correct or may not be.

You are dealing with some of the bugs in Precise 5.7.1
The process for using sfs packages in a full install of Precise was not that well developed.

SFS packages are really made to work with frugal installs of a Puppy.
The sfs package is loaded but not installed.

Full installed Puppies have to have the SFS package installed.
That has never worked that well.
It has always been iffy if the sfs package gets installed OK.

You would probably have better results if you would try to use one of the newest Puppies.
A lot has been improved in Puppy since Precise 5.7.1

Install Puppy as a frugal install.
Some features of Puppy only work in frugal installs.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

You could check to see if some of the stuff in the devx.sfs actually got installed into the Precise full install.

Look in /usr/lib
Should be a directory python2.7

I know for sure that is in the devx.sfs and not part of a freshly installed Precise 5.7.1
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#15 Post by genius7 »

Yes, there is such directory: https://i.imgur.com/W8nMDuq.png
Is there anything else I can try and that could help me solve my problem?

In case I decide to install one of the newest Puppy versions, which one should I use if want to use it as a full install?

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Any Puppy can be installed as a full install.

Again Puppy is designed to work best as a frugal install.
Do not get hung up about the name frugal.
It is a complete Puppy install.
The name frugal is about how little it takes over the hard drive partition. How little space it uses.
All of Puppy is placed into a directory(Linux name for folder).
Again some features of Puppy only work when Puppy is a frugal install.

Really need to try a Puppy frugal install.
Get away from thinking how other Linux OS's install and work.

Kind of getting away from your original problem.
I guess installing the devx.sfs package did not help you?
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#17 Post by genius7 »

I don't know how install the devx.sfs because when I double click the downloaded file it says it is installed and prompts me to uninstall it if I proceed by clicking OK.
Anyway, I want to have Puppy Linux as a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop virtualization software on my Mac OS. I opted for full install because I just wanted to quickly run and shutdown Puppy without needing to clumsily save the sessions. However, Parallels Tools need to be installed on Puppy Linux (my original problem) so that I could comfortably use Puppy inside my Mac OS.
What do you recommend then?

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

I don't know how install the devx.sfs because when I double click the downloaded file it says it is installed and prompts me to uninstall it if I proceed by clicking OK.
If it gives this message the devx.sfs probably did get installed.
You did say you see Python2.7 installed.
That is in the devx.sfs.

I guess that did not give you what you needed.

I Know nothing about using Parallels Desktop virtualization software on Mac OS.
Can not help you with that.

From your first post. It looks like it is trying to compile the tools for Precise 5.7.1

Try also installing the kernel sources.sfs package.
You can get it from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... s-precise/
There are several kernel sources sfs packages, because several different kernels where used in Precise 5.7.1
You have to use the correct one for the kernel being used.

Type this in a console to see what kernel is being used.

Code: Select all

uname -r
Example:
If the kernel is 3.2.29
Download and install this kernel_src-3.2.29-patched.sfs
YaPI(any iso installer)

genius7

#19 Post by genius7 »

I did what you suggested (my kernel is 3.9.11), installed the corresponding package but I'm still encountering the same errors as in my first post. I still have yet to try the symlinking usr/src to usr/include though.

perdido

#20 Post by perdido »

genius7 wrote: I still have yet to try the symlinking usr/src to usr/include though.

That is difficult to do if both the devx (devx_precise_5.7.sfs) and kernel sources (kernel_src-3.9.11-patched.sfs) are installed.
The Kernel Sources installs stuff to /usr/src/ so you can't make the /usr/src symlink because /usr/src/ is being used as a real directory.

Suggestion #1
If you uninstall kernel source then you could try a symlink with just the devx installed and see if it compiles/installs.

SUGGESTION #2
If you end up needing both the devx and kernel sources installed, you can just copy all the files/directories from /usr/include/ to /usr/src/ except for
the contents of the /usr/include/linux/ directory . The contents of the /usr/include/linux/ directory would need to be copied to the /usr/src/linux-3.9.11/ directory
because /usr/src/linux already exists as a sym-link to /usr/src/linux-3.9.11/

If using both the devx and kernel sources you will not need a symlink after copying the files over to /usr/src/

Also do not move the files or delete the files in the/usr/include/ directory if you go this route, just copy them over. The originals should still be available
in the original location so nothing gets broken.

Trying not to be confusing, This is all to accomodate the install script by putting stuff where the script expects it to be.