Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

#741 Post by mikeslr »

bigpup wrote:How Puppy works:
http://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/de ... works.html
Look at pupmode 13 operation.
Actually, that explains a lot once you factor in that at bootup Puppies create in RAM inodes ("pointers") to where the rest of the files --those not already copied into RAM-- are located.

Suppose you have application XYZ built into your Puppy. On bootup some of XYZ's files are copied into RAM and inodes created pointing to the rest of XYZ's files are located within Puppy_XXX_VersionNumber.sfs. When you install a new version of XYZ, initially that "install" only is written to /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw. Barry K's posts shows /initrd/pup_rw but under current Puppies that is a symbolic link to the folder I mentioned. If you restart-x, the inodes will be re-cataloged and will now point to the XYZ files in /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw. That, however, is still only in RAM. When a Save is executed the contents of /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw are written to your SaveFile/Folder. On bootup, the files of your SaveFile/Folder have priority over the files in Puppy_XXX_VersionNumber.sfs so the inodes created will point to your SaveFile/Folder for the XYZ application.

[Of course, if you do not Save, RAM is cleared on shutdown/reboot so on reboot nothing previously in the /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw file will be present and the inodes will still point to XYZ in the Puppy_XXX_VersionNumber.sfs].

If you look at the /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw folder, you'll see that it contains folders corresponding to each of those at ~ (top-level Root; not /root). With two exceptions, each of those folders has, or can have created, within it subfolders corresponding to those folders with subfolder directly hanging from ~. The two exceptions are mnt --which on bootup only includes a symbolic link to /mnt/home but which may include others if you mount other media -- and tmp which is a symbolic link to /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp. It is my understanding that Puppies are constructed so that files written to the latter will not be written to a SaveFile/Folder; and files written to the mnt will follow a chosen symbolic link and consequently be written immediately to storage media. [My guess is that with the symbolic link to /mnt/home being builtin, the contents of that mnt folder are also not copied to Storage unless you modify what other storage media to mount on bootup.]

When a Save is executed any other changes made during the current session will be written to the SaveFile/Folder. That includes the setting changes apparently made in /root/.config and others; the changes to documents you have in /root/my-documents and the web-page caches in /root/.cache or /root/spot/.cache, albeit the actual changes were only written to corresponding folders in /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw. Which is why, as I said before, I run Puppies under Pupmode 13 with Automatic Save Removed; only install applications immediately on bootup; only Save what SFSes I want to have loaded immediately upon bootup and try to generally try not to have to make any changes except immediately upon bootup when there should not be anything in /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw other than the changes I actually want to make.

mikesLr

6502coder

#742 Post by 6502coder »

rcrsn51 wrote:
6502coder wrote:Can Linux actually update in-place only PART of a file on a storage medium?
Yes. This is how random-access databases work.
Interesting. I guess that would explain what I've noticed when doing backups of my savefiles: that the "last modified" date of a savefile never seems to change (it remains stuck at the creation date).

Billtoo

Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

#743 Post by Billtoo »

Xfce4 doesn't work in 32bit xenialpup-7.5 (works perfect in 64bit) so
I am giving radky's fbBox-5.0 a try as an alternative to JWM.
I'm still using gkrellm with fbBox because it's my favorite system
monitor.

It's working well, no problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(46.3 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times

ethplorer

#744 Post by ethplorer »

if you have to do a frugal install on this, what are your menu.lst parameters inorder to boot the system?

i'm putting all the files in a directory named xenialce75 in the /mnt/sda1/
am i doing it correctly?

foxpup

#745 Post by foxpup »

ethplorer wrote:if you have to do a frugal install on this, what are your menu.lst parameters inorder to boot the system?

i'm putting all the files in a directory named xenialce75 in the /mnt/sda1/
am i doing it correctly?
That's probably allright.
You give little info to know for sure. I suppose you are on an older machine with legacy boot? Is Grub4dos already installed? MBR and grldr and menu.lst? Do you dual boot with some Windows?
Anyway, have you run grub4dos just to generate a new menu.lst? It will probably find the new frugal install and make a new entry for it in menu.lst.

ethplorer

#746 Post by ethplorer »

do you have updated chrome for this pup? tried installing deb files from ubuntu didn't work/ any help please

mikeslr

#747 Post by mikeslr »

ethplorer wrote:do you have updated chrome for this pup? tried installing deb files from ubuntu didn't work/ any help please
Puppies are "woofed"/built to be binary compatible with the distro-version whose binaries go into the building. That "binary-compatibility" makes it possible to install applications directly from the repos of the distro-version using PPM (Puppy Package Manager).

But, be wary about doing that. No Puppy is identical to the distro-version whose binaries were used. Packages built for the distro-version (in your case Xenial Xerus) are so built with the expectation that the foundation of Xenial Xerus will be present and --with specific reference to Xenial-Xerus' Chrome package-- that the system itself will operate in a particular manner.

Xenial-Xerus is a Multi-User system. Consequently its packages are designed to be installed into a User's unique directory. Puppy is a single-user system designed to run as "root"/Administrator. Usually that distinction doesn't matter.

But
Gogle-Chrome [and its original and clones, Chromium, Iron, Slimjet and others] have been for over a year structured by Google NOT TO PERMIT IT TO BE RUN AS ROOT.

In order to run recent Chrome-and-clones under Puppies, they have to be configured to 'run-as-spot', a limited user. OscarTalks, peebee and others have undertaken the arduous tasks of packaging some-Chrome-clones in that manner. You'll find packages in the Additional Software Section. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53.

There is no current version of Google-Chrome available. OscarTalks has a preference for Slimjet. You'll find a link to his latest version here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 08#1006708 and a link to peebee's slightly older version a couple posts above that.

I, personally, like OscarTalks' Iron 63, link from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 05#1000505. While you're on that thread, read spiritwild's Nov 30, 2017 post about "user-agent". Some websites won't provide access unless you are using Chrome or Firefox, or they think you are.

Many still find Google-Chrome 48 (pre-Spot) adequate; link here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 954#909954. Also, pre-Spot is Iron 58. I still occasionally use it. You'll find a link on the Iron thread.

DO UNINSTALL the Chrome you obtained via PPM before trying any "chrome" browser. And if you decide on a "run as spot" browser, look for discussions about how using them effects your practice.

Lastly, in general, before installing anything via PPM that will access a Ubuntu repo, check the Additional Software Section to see if someone has published that application or its equivalent for your Puppy. It will save you a lot of frustration.

roadkill13

#748 Post by roadkill13 »

Hi ethplorer.

User mikesir has provided a quite a bit of good information in the above post. It is worth reading through. Since I am running Chrome (and have run Chromium) on XenialPup 64 I thought that I would give you a couple of quick tips.

If you installed the version of Chromium currently available in the puppy package manager it will run as user "spot". I am not sure why it won't run for you. philb666 pre-selected chromium-browser and google-chrome in the loginmanager applet to run as spot when installed on this version of puppy.

To confirm this, open a console and type "loginmanager" without the quotes. You will see a number of browsers listed, several of which have been pre-selected for use as user "spot".

Try running the browser from the console and see if it prints a message.

Also Mike Walsh provides a package for Google Chrome 64 which he updates periodically. It is pre-configured to run as "spot" and provides an additional utility for managing files in the /root/spot/downloads folder.

EDIT: I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you are using the 32 bit version of XenialPup or I would not have recommended the 64 bit package for Google Chrome. Obviously Google Chrome won't run on the 32 bit version of Xenialpup because Chrome only comes in the 64bit flavor on linux.

I have run Slimjet and Chromium on both setups with equal success on the 32bit version of XenialPup and on musher0's version of xenialpup. I apologize for my oversight.
Last edited by roadkill13 on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

#749 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ethplorer,

I'm not familiar with Xenialpup 7.5, never having upgraded from their precedessors, 7.0.8.6, in either the 32-bit or the 64-bit versions. So, I may be missing out on quickpet and changes in PPM that roadkill13 discussed.

ethplorer

#750 Post by ethplorer »

run as spot didn't work. yes i was using the 32bit. but thanks i now know there is a user spot. the program is installed but it kept prompting "Aw Snap" error.

i kept trying the ppm but no results still even after installing all the dependencies it asked. until i accidentally load the google_chrome-48.0.2564.116-i386.sfs in the /mnt/home ( which is from slacko) i wonder why it worked. its old version though. anyway i learn a lot. thanks

thinkpadfreak

#751 Post by thinkpadfreak »

ethplorer wrote:

> run as spot didn't work.

I run as spot the version of chromium which I installed from ubuntu deb packages.

To enable user spot, I open Login and Security Manager, uncheck "chromium-browser" and press "OK."
Then again I open Login and Security Manager, check "chromium-browser" and press "OK."

It is my understanding that user spot is enabled when the status is changed from "unchecked" (disabled) to "checked" (enabled).

Bird Dog

Browsers

#752 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi ethplorer have you tried Palemoon. If you have a minimum P4 computer it receives updates, is the default browser for Xenialpup and I haven't had any problems (crashes etc)except when Palemoon switched to version 28 which quickpet will take care of when you update it.
Just want to thank some of the posters here for mentioning quickpet (was included in previous pups) and for the people who spend the time to fix problems which helps puppy users keep using this great operating system.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

glene77is

#753 Post by glene77is »

BigPup

I have noticed an extra 30 odd seconds of System Boot Time
when switching from Tahr-pup to Xenial-pup.

IMO, the difference is do partly to the different software
used to control Disk Writes.
There is some difference in required Bootup time
as I test between several vintage PC's and a vintage LapTop,
and then between different types of bootable USB FlashDrives.
The same events occur on my bootable HardDrive system,
and my bootable FlashDrive systems.

Thus far:
(1) The Linux Xenial pup system seems to have a 30 second onger boot time
than the Linux Tahr pup system.
(2) Also two different USB FlashDrive brands have different times.
(3) IMO, there are soft-ware differences which cause these differences.

Focusing on the Xenial pup slow shutdown on USB :
Format Fat32 , so that M$ XP can read, in an emergency.

I have been using USB (SanDisk) for 7 years, bootable.
Normally, a 32 GB, SanDisk. Lupu to Xenial systems.

The SanDisk write speed is about as advertised.
with no stalling or waiting.
(1) LED blinks when working .
(2) LED stops blinking and control returns to system.

When I tried using a different ( Lexar ) USB,
then the write speed on shutdown slowed 50% more.

Measurements are by timing the wait until actual full return
to system and user control is allowed.

IMO,
The SansDisk USB appears to flush the out-going data immediately
into the Ram storage areas on the USB chip ,
and stops LED blinking just a second before real control is returned
to the system.

The Lexar USB appears to buffer the out-going data ,
and then shuffle it out to the final area on the layered RAM chips.
The Lexar LED blinking continues for a dozen extra seconds
before real control is returned to the system.

When using 128 GB and 256 GB USB flash drives,
the difference in shutdown speed of Lexar USB is a minute longer.

IMO,
I think this slower Real-Time Write speed ( Lexar )
is due to different soft-ware
used by Lexar.
If Lexar is using a quick loading buffer for common small writes,
(1) then re-writing out to the real RAM area,
(2) then the user will see a quicker apparent save of 1 MB data files,
and will not notice that Lexar is re-shuffling the data.
(3) Very Large Data Saves will seem to go faster,
but the persistent write will be much slower.

I found this Lexar overall speed slow and un-acceptable
when doing backups of 100 GB of data onto a USB drive.
Therefore, I have continued to use the SansDisk
( with slightly slower large file save speed )
because the large file backup is saved and control returned to system
in a faster time. Control is returned to the system as expected.

For example of this problem
with Lexar backup on 100 GB data :
(1) I do a "save2flash" , and then request to "unmount' Lexar.
(2) then Xenial system stalls
(3) then Lexar blinking LED continues for several minutes.
(4) then Lexar LED stops blinking,
(5) then Xenial system is responsive again.

I was curious about where Xenial was spending much of its time
during sysinit , so I wrote logging-with-date-time routines
into all the scripts running : rc.sysinit, sfs_load, fixmenus, init.
Results are: sfsload is the script using most of the time, not fixmenus.

So, that is for today.

PS: Your Results May Vary.

Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

sendwho

how to take backup?

#754 Post by sendwho »

I used the use the full drive option and now the pupsave backup doesn't do anything when I try to use it. How can I take backup of my system, in order to restore it later?

bigpup

#755 Post by bigpup »

Pupsave Backup program only works for making backups of the save file/folder used in frugal installs.

What exact program are you trying to use?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sendwho

#756 Post by sendwho »

I tried taking backup and only found pupsave backup in utility but it shows the welcome screen and then does nothing. All I want is to take back up of my system as it is right now.

It is frugally installed but it doesn't have any backup file or folder.

James186282

#757 Post by James186282 »

My internal hard disc sda loads up and the icons for the 3 different partitions show up on the desktop. When I first got it installed (Frugal AMD 64 Bit dual core) plugging in USB drives always worked as expected with an icon showing up shortly after plugging one in or seeing icons for an external drive I have that is always plugged in.

Now that has stopped for some reason. I can mount the drives and a window opens but no drive icons. I'm not sure how this works. I know a little bit about fstab and thought maybe putting in some lines for my always plugged in external drive would make it appear as an Icon as I'm used to but... no soap.

Could someone give me the 101 on how the process of auto mounting drives you plug in works? Maybe some ideas on how to fix this without doing a reinstall.

I've tried a couple things with fstab here are a couple lines from my latest attempts.
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/sdf1 vfat nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1,auto 0 2
UUID=e6af1e54-bbac-4c90-bec7-3681b72706ba /mnt/sdg1 ext4 auto,root,rw 1 2

I decided to give up on Virtual Box for Xenialpup and started up a Win7 laptop thats collected dust for two years. OMG how does anyone have the patience to sit for two days waiting for the updates (And the system for doing it) to finish? I thought I could speed things up by downloading the updates and doing it from the computer. I found several hundred pages of updates and nearly pulled my own head off. I gave up on updating everything and am pondering just setting up a fresh frugal tharpup to do my cad stuff on virtualbox. BTW how is it that Microsoft exists? Its an insult to garbage to call Windows garbage ware.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

bigpup

#758 Post by bigpup »

sendwho wrote:pupsave backup in utility but it shows the welcome screen and then does nothing. All I want is to take back up of my system as it is right now.
Need more info.
After Pupsave Backup starts and opens to the first window.
You make no selection changes and select backup button?
Nothing happens?

What size is the Xenialpupsave?
Is there free space to make a copy of the save?
What format is the partition Xenialpup frugal install is on?

does nothing could be saying many different things.
Does not go to next window.
Does not make a backup.
Program just closes.
Says it made a backup, but can not find it.
You need to give specific details. You are our eyes.
You do what?
You see what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sendwho

#759 Post by sendwho »

when i click on pupsave backup in utility , the pupsave backup help window shows up and says bunch of things and then i click ok and it goes away and nothing happens after it.

i accidentally clicked on "resize personal storage file" below it and window popped up saying that puppy is currently using a savefolder there is no reason to resize it or something like that.

the drive is currently using 6 gigabytes and the drive partition is ext2/ and there is plenty of space on the drive.

ITSMERSH

#760 Post by ITSMERSH »

sendwho wrote:when i click on pupsave backup in utility , the pupsave backup help window shows up and says bunch of things and then i click ok and it goes away and nothing happens after it.

i accidentally clicked on "resize personal storage file" below it and window popped up saying that puppy is currently using a savefolder there is no reason to resize it or something like that.

the drive is currently using 6 gigabytes and the drive partition is ext2/ and there is plenty of space on the drive.
Use ext3 !!!