multisessions cd's fills with the cache of navigators!

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
xandas

multisessions cd's fills with the cache of navigators!

#1 Post by xandas »

Multisessions save the cache of navigators, a big thing.
Next boot, all caches stores in the cd is loaded to ram, filling it unnecessarily.

Opera and Firefox , not Seamonkey, enable to empty the cache's before shut-off the computer, but this is annoying.
A inspection of the cd that includes several sessions, show the growing and the sizes of the caches.

Xan

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

If you are on a fast conection then run with zero cache..it makes very little difference...plus you don't want to save it anyway.

Otherwise the other solution would be to add a line in the shutdown script to empty the directory ... I know little bash scripting but I'm sure someone can help you out with this.

mike

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

For general information in mozilla apps a cache file is also written to speed up program lanching...this is quite large (1mb+) and will be saved every time ...it can be disabled by adding as a boolean pref in about:config set to 'true'

nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload

I noticed virtually no difference in launch speed without it but saves quite a bit of space for multisession saves.

If you have a lot of bookmarks then make 'bookmarkbackups' a read only dummy file in the profile and this will prevent writing af the four extra bookmark backups.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

If you're using an email client, the disk will also fill up with deleted emails - which it turns out are not really deleted but kept in a hidden file. I've read that deleting emails with shift-delete will bypass that and truly delete the email, but this may only apply to Windows. I haven't tried it. (I use Yahoo mail.)

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

If you're using an email client, the disk will also fill up with deleted emails
'empty trash' and 'compact folders' on thunderbird (and seamonkey?)...there are automatic settings for this though I prefer the manual approach...this will rewrited the mail storage leaving out all removed messages...as mentioned nothing is actually removed when deleted.

mike