Portable PuppyLinux Keyboard and Mouse issue.

Booting, installing, newbie
chenshaoju2

Portable PuppyLinux Keyboard and Mouse issue.

#1 Post by chenshaoju2 »

Hi, everyone, Sorry for my English.

I use unetbootin-windows-661.exe base xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso to created in a USB disk for portable Linux system to use.

When I first boot on my laptop, Everything is all right, network, sound, keyboard, touchpad, mouse, all working.

But when I unplug the USB disk from the laptop, plug into a desktop computer, The Puppy Linux is bootable and can enter xorg, But the Keyboard and Mouse have not worked anymore.

because the keyboard is unusable, I can't do anything.

I try searching this forum, But only have one unsolved post at 9 years ago.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=365878

How can I do some diagnoses to give more information or I missing some step to make it portable?

thanks. :)

HerrBert

#2 Post by HerrBert »

did you create a savefile at shutdown, when you first booted on your laptop?

if so, you should boot with the pfix=ram parameter in bootmenu on your desktop to avoid loading configs, that were made for the laptop.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi chenshaoju2,

HerrBert has "hit the nail square on its head". When, on your laptop, you shutdown Puppy the first time and created a SaveFile/Folder it saved the settings and configurations for your laptop including what keyboard and mouse was present. When you booted your USB-Puppy on your desktop it tried to use that mouse and keyboard: result the mouse and keyboard don't function.

This doesn't always happen, and seems to happen more frequently with newer Puppies or newer computers. I recently had to replace my laptop. If I create a USB-Puppy with SaveFile on my Desktop computer, it functions properly on my laptop. But USB-Puppies with SaveFile created on my laptop hang if I try to boot them on my Desktop.

HerrBert also suggested the "work-around": boot pfix=ram. There should be a way, while your on your Desktop, to edit the bootloader Unetbootin created so that on bootup you'll be offered the option of booting without using a SaveFile/Foder. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Unetbootin. Using grub4dos or grub2 as bootloader you merely create another listing, otherwise identical to the first but with something like this as its "Kernel line":

kernel /PATH_TO/vmlinuz pfix=ram

Perhaps someone else can provide specifics. Barring that, the way to boot "pfix=ram" is that as soon as Puppy begins to boot --you've got about 4 seconds to start typing-- type the following, without the quotes "puppy pfix=ram".

Having booted that way on your desktop you'll be able to create another SaveFile/Folder. Perhaps include desktop in its name, or anything else to distinguish it. Thereafter, whenever you boot the USB-Puppy the boot process will halt and you'll be asked which SaveFile/Folder you want to use, or if you want to boot 'pfix=ram'. Depending on the size of your USB-Stick, creating a SaveFile may be preferable to a SaveFolder. SaveFiles are compressed taking up as little as 1/3 the space of that of a SaveFolder.

To further conserve space, you may want to use SFSes rather than pets. Pets would have to be installed into both SaveFiles/Folders. In this regard, you may also consider using PaDS, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922. PaDS can be used to combine any number of SFSes and pets into one (or more) SFS. The only practical limit to what can be included in an SFS are those applications which depend on python. Openshot video editor is one example. Each such application will depend on its own version of python and whichever version of python you may have in a SaveFile/Folder will take precedence/interfere with the python version in an SFS. Similarly, two versions of python in the same SFS may interfere with each other.

p.s. Never apologize for not being a native English speaker. It just makes those of us who can only speak English feel less adequate. :(

chenshaoju2

#4 Post by chenshaoju2 »

Thank you, guys!

I have reinstalled the Puppy Linux, Mount USB disk in VirtualBox and boot PuppyLinux LiveCD, Use "install" app to install PuppyLinux to USB disk.

After install, The boot menu has gone, But I can press ESC to interrupt the boot process to manually enter boot parameter.

Unlucky, When I use "vmlinuz pfix=copy" to boot Puppy Linux, I got kernel panic.

After open extlinux.conf file on USB disk root, I see the full boot parameters.

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy
So I copy the boot parameters and changed, In "boot:" I enter:

Code: Select all

vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
It's worked! :D