Need guidance for Web server for Fatdog 7.02 and up.

Using applications, configuring, problems
PappyPuppy

Need guidance for Web server for Fatdog 7.02 and up.

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

I am at the beginning of using Aptana Studio to design a web-site for a corporate site. I know at some point I will have to process queries so WAMP means:

Windows Apache ? PHP?

So how can I install a server that will do this stuff but on LInux, and specifically on Fatdog so I don't have to use a different Linux OS unless absolutely necessary for some strange reason? Is there some sort of WAMP for Linux (specifically Fatdog)? I'm assuming my website will eventually be running on a Linux server. Sorry, I'm new to this - I've only done simple webpages for friends, and they didn't need to process queries.

Does Fatdog already have what I need? I like the Aptana Studio so far. I also use Geany a lot.

Until I reorganize my computer office, I will pretty much prefer using my Fatdog 7.02 machine.

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

I can't vouch for FD-702, but I used to use XAMPP on 721: https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html.
It's a one-click installer.

Apache, MariaDB, PHP, etc. are also available in the repo, if you're in the mood of configuring all that stuff manually. ;)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

PappyPuppy

Thanks SFR, I'll try the Xampp as it seems like WAMP

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

The installation failed when it tried to create the directory /opt/lampp or something like that so I need to troubleshoot that.

PappyPuppy

I may need to sudo this

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

I need to run it from the command line.

PappyPuppy

That worked

#5 Post by PappyPuppy »

I just need to test it out now!

PappyPuppy

Trying to set my project location in Aptana Studio

#6 Post by PappyPuppy »

I believe this is the docs directory of choice but it's weird, as soon as it finds a match it greys out (disables) finish button. So it might want me to create a different directory to be safe I guess - perhaps I can try adding www or something.

PappyPuppy

I used www and I WAS able to click Finish

#7 Post by PappyPuppy »

It claims that my project does not exist. No kidding - of course it doesn't exist - it's a new project.

God, these tools are so awkward to use. Nothing ever goes smoothly.

PappyPuppy

I decided to recheck the default location in Aptana

#8 Post by PappyPuppy »

I have now created my corporate site project in Aptana Studio. I'll have to troubleshoot separately why I could not be "creative" here. It wouldn't surprise me if there is something I don't understand about Aptana or the tools I'm using hence the "nothing ever goes smoothly" comment I obstinately made.

PappyPuppy

When I run scripts, I have another error

#9 Post by PappyPuppy »

But apparently, Aptana wants me to use Firefox to debug. I installed 38.xxx esr and perhaps there's some issue with it so I need to install another .deb or something over it.

I get the following error:

GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

There's something with glib and something in the browser or whatever.

PappyPuppy

I've tried switching to Chrome

#10 Post by PappyPuppy »

In each of the cases, whether I use Nightly or Chrome, the webpage loads, nothing crashes, but there is the weird == 0 error I describe above and with chrome I get an additional error:

l_helper: error while loading shared libraries: libnssutil3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And with Nightly, I cannot set the home page to open to. It ignores it on startup.

I believe the libnssutil3.so has something to do with nss.

PappyPuppy

Can I ask a really dumb question

#11 Post by PappyPuppy »

Should I check the thing and have it installed?

As in 3.16.1-x86_64-1? Might that get rid of the google-chrome bugaboo?

PappyPuppy

Cool, google chrome is happy now

#12 Post by PappyPuppy »

Now there are no errors on starting up a web page with Google Chrome as the browser. Now I need to see if I can debug with it.

PappyPuppy

Oh well, Google Chrome is not supported

#13 Post by PappyPuppy »

I will have to try to fix the == 0 error that's been around for quite some time with Firefox - it's got nothing to do with scripts. And I don't think much to do with plugins as I tried disabling them all in Nightly. So I need to keep reading people's posts and get some insights as I will have to use Nightly with Aptana.

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

where do you stand in progress?
You need a LAMP which is of course the Linux version of a WAMP

I install Apache,mariaDB,PHP 7.2 with the package manager and configure it manually. It is not that difficult. Also I use the Hiawatha web server built into Puppy Linux instead of Apache...easier to set up easy to update from the version built in.

pay attention to the user's needed to run the servers.

XAMPP is a great way to start as well. Do you have the XAMPP working?

what language(s) will be the website itself?

PappyPuppy

I installed XAMPP 7.2.10.0: "./xampp-linux-x64-7.2.10-0-

#15 Post by PappyPuppy »

rockedge wrote:where do you stand in progress?
You need a LAMP which is of course the Linux version of a WAMP

I install Apache,mariaDB,PHP 7.2 with the package manager and configure it manually. It is not that difficult. Also I use the Hiawatha web server built into Puppy Linux instead of Apache...easier to set up easy to update from the version built in.

pay attention to the user's needed to run the servers.

XAMPP is a great way to start as well. Do you have the XAMPP working?

what language(s) will be the website itself?
It failed to install when I double-clicked so I opened an x terminal window and used the above command.

Today, I spent nearly ALL day using Aptana Studio for only the 2nd time - the last time was this past January I believe. But today I developed what will eventually be the navigation bar for my corporate app using HTML and CSS. The style sheets I used are just some nested classes that allow me to have my corporate name and/or logo on the left and the menu items - Home, News, Shop, About, Contact, etc.. on the right. At first it didn't work until I mastered how to nest it all and use inline-block and float in the proper way. I had never even tried to use css so I'm definitely bit wet behind the ears with web page development. Well, that, and watching the stock market, and tending to my garden.

So as for what language I will use for the site - do you mean POFCL (plain old fashioned computer language(s))? I don't really know yet - I'll just use whatever makes a good website that can process queries against MySQL and run nicely with the XAMPP - MySQL, PROFTPD, and Apache Web server. I don't really know any of this stuff yet. Some day I might take an interpreter I wrote in C++ and embed to the site so people can do math but for now, I just have to allow the ordering of a hardware and software product I developed earlier this year. When I'm not still embarassed by something not finished, I can post a screen shot and let people know how things work out with XAMPP and whatever the host OS server will be. For now, it's Fatdog 7.02. I will try to resurrect my 7.10 machine as I clean up my office. I also have Linux Mint and a Redhat that has some sort of login to the Redhat support site issue. I can only log in from one machine.
My goal is to NOT have to buy a subscription to an order-counting domain site but instead, one that might be similar to GOOGLE or whatever. Currently, I lean towards NOT using Site 123 or something similar as I think I can handle the development aspect and I don't want a web page system that I can't just download and test locally with ease. So Fatdog will be the test-bed - right in front of me. This is all stuff I have to experience. I could probably make use of Google somehow. Sooner or later, I'll have the web server running and hopefully serving up pages with HTML, CSS, and javascript. I'm open to whatever I need to learn. Clearly, it will be one baby step at a time. Then I need to make sure each technique will work on Internet 7 and up, and on phones. I might need to use the Java script and other styles to make it all happen smoothly.
I have not yet hammered any queries at the XAMMP server yet - I have not even created a MYSQL database with some tables either. Should be a learning experience. :D

rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

try installing WordPress on your XAMPP servers....good practice.