How to get latest version of Google Chrome?

Using applications, configuring, problems
PappyPuppy

I AM NOW RUNNING CHROME 69

#21 Post by PappyPuppy »

Then I ran the same old google69.desktop script and it started a fresh version of Chrome 69 - I was a little surprised but not entirely.

My About Chrome says:
Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The only problem is that the terminal is showing a host of errors as I'm running - actually just some minor errors something to do with hashing. But it's obviously the right one as I checked it in About dialog and it also looks much different than version 58.

It browses to Yahoo right away no problem. I just need to get all the kinks out. Then when I'm not tired (in the AM some time), try to start all this stuff directly from the desktop rather than the terminal which is how I'm doing them now. Or maybe after I post this message.

So at least I can run the new browser and navigate to Yahoo's site without security warnings - so far so good. Now I can take the night off. Later on.
:D

So as a protective measure, Chrome first checks for earlier versions or running versions, then matches that version so I had to make sure nothing was running, that's all.

I like having my plethora of bookmarks there under the new version - I would guess I have several thousand bookmarks.

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ PappyPuppy:-

You can safely ignore the stuff you see in the terminal. If it runs.....all well & good..!

The Chromium-based browsers are the 'noisiest' things you've ever seen, so far as the terminal is concerned. I believe Google decided they wanted things that way because it makes things simpler for the host of semi-autonomous 'build bots' that assemble build after test build at the Chromium Project; they have a constant, ongoing 'output' available for the bots to auto-adjust things from one build to the next.

As for running multiple versions of the browser; in my old Tahrpup64 I have the current, 64-bit Chrome, and 32-bit Chromes 48 & 39. If I wanted to, I could run all three simultaneously. The secret?

Keep the 'installs' totally separate. Make sure each browser has its own, independent .cache & .config directories. I achieve that by setting them up in different locations; there's nothing to say that you have to have Chrome in /opt..

Chrome 70 runs in /home/spot.
Chrome 48 runs in /usr/lib.
Chrome 39 runs in /usr/share.

And each version has its hidden .cache & .config directories in that same directory. If they don't already exist, create them; nothing to say you're not 'allowed' to.

Just make sure that the relevant 'wrapper-script' points toward the correct '--user-data-dir' (the .config directory) for that particular browser.

Mike. :wink:

PappyPuppy

I've found the original .cache and .config in /root/spot

#23 Post by PappyPuppy »

So I need to get the wrappers working. I would suspect that my new version of Google Chrome is using the old config and cache so I should separate them like you said. And I should make my new LD_LIBRARY_PATH permanent.

Update:
I had only to change one little thing to get the google-chrome69.desktop launcher icon to work, which is to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH prepend in my opt/google/chrome/google-chrome script. Once I did this, I can now simply launch Google Chrome 69 from the desktop which was my original goal. The launcher in turn calls my google-chrome69-spot script that has the right path and (currently, does not yet really have where I want the user data, so I need to fix that next). Now I can simply click on my spot script in /usr/bin if I want to start Google Chrome that way rather than from the desktop.

Update:
I should also comment that my version 70 does not yet run. I am using the same libs as with 69 which should work. So I need to figure that one out - why doesn't it run? Update: So far, it is permission denied when I try to run from the terminal using awk. I need to find which thing doesn't have Exec. Update: It was the World bit of Exec on the directory containing the version 70 files (which currently I have in the awkwardest place under Downloads - I should change this for sure). I would never have thought I had needed to set that bit. So version is NOW running.
Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Another comment is I have not yet changed my google-chrome-stable scripts to put the library prepend into LD_LIBRARY_PATH - I should probably do this?

PappyPuppy

Hopefully, soon I'll have a script that does all this

#24 Post by PappyPuppy »

And I just don't have my Linux environment configured to use it or else I or someone can write one that takes the .deb file and goes from there.

PappyPuppy

There is a new issue with Google Chrome 69 or 70

#25 Post by PappyPuppy »

I have started looking into profiles - .config, .cache as possibly being a cause. Creating a new profile has not yet helped. And if I create a different user-data-dir reference, Chrome doesn't start.

I will start it from a terminal and see if I see anything. I thought that the Save As failures are likely profile-related as it wants to know where my Save As usual spot is. I will assume this since it's a simple assumption and keep trying to resolve it. But any ideas appreciated. So far I am using the same profile for Chrome 58, 69, and 70 because I wanted all of my bookmarks, logins, and other cookies intact. Perhaps I have to create new profiles and do some importing and of course, separate them out.

Perhaps I can keep trying to start with different options in the line in the -spot script where it has the user-data-dir specified.

Update:
I ran from the terminal and specifying a different user-data-dir causes a Segment violation and Google Chrome does not start. Perhaps there is something I need to do when I try to get Google-Chrome to use the new data directory location. I might even try to copy the old one to it. At least that might be a start, although I doubt it would help much - it might even hurt since there might be some path issues that I would create.

PappyPuppy

Trying to resolve the Save As crash issue with Chrome

#26 Post by PappyPuppy »

However, it still crashes on Save As. I now realize via my terminal session that it tried to save to /dev/fd/4 so it probably doesn't know where to save. Man, I better be careful.

Perhaps I can put the user-data-dir back in and see what the terminal says on "that kind of crash - ie. one where I try to get it to save in the right place" rather than no place at all.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

As I said to you, all this has been taken care of in my packages....

If you look inside the SFS package, go to /usr/share/glib-2.0. You need to install the supplied 'schemas' to that specific directory. One of them is the

"org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml" file.

That's the kiddie that will stop Chrome crashing upon saving/uploading. In the Chrome package, there's a small script in /usr/sbin (glib.sh) that runs the necessary compile command for those xml files.....and is sym-linked into /root/Startup so as to run it every time you boot.

I still think you're going about this the hard way, mind...! :roll:

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 00:41, edited 3 times in total.

PappyPuppy

I now know the fatal error when I choose Save As is:

#28 Post by PappyPuppy »

GLib error on choosing Save As in Chrome:

(google-chrome:6400): Glib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed.

So I need to somehow install that schema or whatever, or at least if it IS installed, allow Chrome to pick it up.

Hmm?

PappyPuppy

I downloaded the .sfs file not the .pet file from your

#29 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

As I said to you, all this has been taken care of in my packages....

If you look inside the SFS package, go to /usr/share/glib-2.0. You need to install the supplied 'schemas' to that specific directory. One of them is the

"org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml" file.

That's the kiddie that will stop Chrome crashing upon saving/uploading. In the Chrome package, there's a small script in /usr/sbin (glib.sh) that runs the necessary compile command for those xml files.....and is sym-linked into /root/Startup so as to run it every time you boot.

I still think you're going about this the hard way, mind...! :roll:

I did not download the files you gave us links for in your Puppy forum post because it was dated in 2016. I thought it would be impossible for you to give me version 70 so long ago - when it didn't exist. To say I'm confused is an understatement. So I should just open the .sfs file and start copying stuff I assume? And I should put the Permission selectors in I assume?
I copied all your stuff and also included Spot2... empty directory. I can pop up a Save As now so things seem to be working much better. There wasn't really much in your .sfs that I needed as I already had the google chrome stuff, just not the Root to Spot and vice-versa and the chooser shemas, perhaps on other thing like a .png up-down file. Thanks for the info and the .sfs file on your google drive! :D

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

PappyPuppy wrote:I did not download the files you gave us links for in your Puppy forum post because it was dated in 2016. I thought it would be impossible for you to give me version 70 so long ago - when it didn't exist. To say I'm confused is an understatement. So I should just open the .sfs file and start copying stuff I assume? And I should put the Permission selectors in I assume?
2016 is when I started building Chrome packages for Puppy. And the links are in that first post for the simple reason that when folk click on that thread, the link is there, easy as all get-out to find, staring 'em in the face. Saves having to dig around in the thread to find individual links for each release.....

Doesn't that make more sense to you? 'Cos it certainly does for me!

(If you look at the bottom of that first post, you will in fact see that it's been edited a grand total of 52 times. Every time there's a new release, I update the 'Subject line' to reflect that fact.)

PappyPuppy

I wasn't complaining about your editing of links

#31 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:
PappyPuppy wrote:I did not download the files you gave us links for in your Puppy forum post because it was dated in 2016. I thought it would be impossible for you to give me version 70 so long ago - when it didn't exist. To say I'm confused is an understatement. So I should just open the .sfs file and start copying stuff I assume? And I should put the Permission selectors in I assume?
2016 is when I started building Chrome packages for Puppy. And the links are in that first post for the simple reason that when folk click on that thread, the link is there, easy as all get-out to find, staring 'em in the face. Saves having to dig around in the thread to find individual links for each release.....

Doesn't that make more sense to you? 'Cos it certainly does for me!

(If you look at the bottom of that first post, you will in fact see that it's been edited a grand total of 52 times. Every time there's a new release, I update the 'Subject line' to reflect that fact.)

One-stop shopping - no better way. I didn't realize that there was a REASON why I had needed to look at your .sfs file - that I was missing stuff. I thought I had had everything I had needed. But in the future - please make sure that libpcre is in there - or at least warn us that we have to dig a little! - :lol:

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

No worries. Do I take it this means you're sorted, now? If so.....excellent.

(BTW, libpcre is not one that's needed by the majority of Pups. It's quite possible that it got thrown up due to your own 'lib-hunting' before I stepped in with the advice. Different versions of libs often have different dependencies of their own.)

PappyPuppy

Google Chrome 70 running smoothly

#33 Post by PappyPuppy »

No worries. Do I take it this means you're sorted, now? If so.....excellent.
Yes, sorted (library/xml insertion-style). As my way of saying thanks with yet another patronization, I invite you to drop in on my Uncle William's land up in Cumbria any time, although be careful, I don't know if you're welcome, and it's quite a hike at 240 miles from King's Lynn, to get chased off.

William Coulston
Born 1675 Dowgill, Cliburn Morland, Yorkshire, England

Now, back to learning website development with Xammp for me, with a recent lure of using WordPress.com from another Fatdogger.

-Joel

rufwoof

Re: Can someone explain how to run as spot

#34 Post by rufwoof »

PappyPuppy wrote:I am logged on as root as most Fatdog users would be logged in as.

But it's better to run as spot. I am going to try to run Google Chrome out of a different directory than version 58 as I have version 70 in a new directory I've created. I realize there may be issues with this approach but I want to try it.
In Fatdogs control panel, Updates tab there's a get chrome option that when clicked will create a package in /root that you can then either install or make into a sfs (right click rox options). Works a treat (I've just updated to chrome 70.0.3538.67).

Fatdog is real multi-user, so you can create another userid and log into X using that userid instead of running X as root. That's what I do. Whilst you can su or use gtksu to elevate from user to root within X to run admin tasks, for security reasons I don't, instead I just do admin tasks from the console (with tmux and mc installed along with some dialogs the console can be a nice place to be/use (tip - run the command 'setfont big' if your cli font is too small). There are options again in Control Panel to create additional userid's and/or set how the system logs in/starts up (such as directly auto logging into users X desktop).

Attached is my default console dialog, so to reboot for instance from the X desktop its ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to that terminal/console, press r and then enter. The second image is using mc to make a backup copy of the save folder. And yes they're actual snapshots of the console, not a xterm.
Attachments
fb-console.png
(11.16 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
fb-mc.png
(17.6 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

PappyPuppy

Cool, I hadn't realized that I can simply Update

#35 Post by PappyPuppy »

Thanks - nice to know! And based on the look of your png's, I should improve my boot script for sure. :D

PappyPuppy

One last question if you have a chance Mike

#36 Post by PappyPuppy »

How do I then launch Google Chrome - is there further setting up to do - such as xml or desktop stuff? So far I haven't been able to launch Google Chrome.

And now I will need to install all of my compilers and everything - I guess it's ok to do that from iibiblio and my other ways which is to use repositories. Not reallyworried just thinking about how I will set up my new OS.

PappyPuppy

Quarntined? I meant to post this in my "lost fatdog" thread

#37 Post by PappyPuppy »

v

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

It should simply start from the MenuEntry,,,,,and fairly quickly, too (that's where the 'silent_launch' script in /root/Startup comes into play).

Try

Code: Select all

/home/spot/chrome.sh
.....in the terminal, and see what output you get, if it won't start from the Menu entry.

PappyPuppy

I started Google Chrome from the menu

#39 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

It should simply start from the MenuEntry,,,,,and fairly quickly, too (that's where the 'silent_launch' script in /root/Startup comes into play).

Try

Code: Select all

/home/spot/chrome.sh
.....in the terminal, and see what output you get, if it won't start from the Menu entry.

It runs pretty well although sometimes the URL bar blinks on and off. I'm having troubles with my new Fatdog 7.21. I have no BOOTSTATE file. I tried burning another CD but no improvement to that. I have to seriously think about where to go with this machine - new hard-drive, new CD rom drive, check cables, check memory sticks, wiggle stuff, replace stuff, ... :lol:

I can't just use the SFS package manager and load packages and run them after a reboot. They might load for a while and can be seen in the terminal, but the Rox Filer can never seem them. I don't even have an sfs_load file apparently.

Update:
I might just set up a new machine and gradually copy over any projects and data like photos and videos, txt files with notes, etc.. I can at least browse and look at my files still. It will be hard for me to replace the hard-drive and cd - all in good time I can do it but it might be better to simply set up another machine. My other devel machines are fine.

PappyPuppy

One question

#40 Post by PappyPuppy »

I assume that I'm ok to load the packages' latest version? I don't need the earlier ones?

I just used the sfs package manager and tried to download and load skype - it all went fine in the manager but when I try to launch skype nothing happens.