Icons

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
Mike Walsh

#81 Post by Mike Walsh »

Y'know, it's not hard to understand why I often refer to my own sizeable collection of PNG icons as 'eclectic'.

At the time each one was sourced (either through Google or DuckDuckGo), it was for a specific purpose.....and I wanted an icon that would best represent what I needed it for.

I wasn't giving any thought at all to 'co-ordinating' or 'matching' it with anything else.

Rather goes with my own somewhat haphazard approach to computing in general..... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

smokey01

#82 Post by smokey01 »

I'm trying to find a better way to display the icon sets. At the moment it displays all icon sets on a single web page which is great for viewing but uses a lot of bandwidth. I think it's useful to see all of the icons in the set. Maybe a better method might be to have text links but show a graphic when hovered.

step

#83 Post by step »

smokey01 wrote:I'm trying to find a better way to display the icon sets. At the moment it displays all icon sets on a single web page which is great for viewing but uses a lot of bandwidth. I think it's useful to see all of the icons in the set. Maybe a better method might be to have text links but show a graphic when hovered.
Perhaps you could take screen captures of rox displaying each set in its own folder. You could play with rox zoom factor to show smaller icons. Once you have the screen captures, you could try converting them to gif fixed palette 64 colors, or even 32. Image quality will degrade a bit, but it isn't too bad. And file image size will go down significantly. Then create your html page with links to those gifs. Use a monochrome rox folder background, white is probably best.

Along the same lines, but with less manual work, you could use some photo software to create contact sheets for each rox folder. Then convert the contact sheets to gif as I explained.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

smokey01

#84 Post by smokey01 »

step wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I'm trying to find a better way to display the icon sets. At the moment it displays all icon sets on a single web page which is great for viewing but uses a lot of bandwidth. I think it's useful to see all of the icons in the set. Maybe a better method might be to have text links but show a graphic when hovered.
Perhaps you could take screen captures of rox displaying each set in its own folder. You could play with rox zoom factor to show smaller icons. Once you have the screen captures, you could try converting them to gif fixed palette 64 colors, or even 32. Image quality will degrade a bit, but it isn't too bad. And file image size will go down significantly. Then create your html page with links to those gifs. Use a monochrome rox folder background, white is probably best.

Along the same lines, but with less manual work, you could use some photo software to create contact sheets for each rox folder. Then convert the contact sheets to gif as I explained.
Thanks step.

In the end I just converted all the images from png to jpg which brought the page size down from about 23M to just under 10M. It's not a place many people would visit all that often so I might just leave it alone.

Cheers

davids45

Some more coloured mounted-drive icon pets

#85 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Here are some more pets that change your desktop/pinboard drive icons to more colourful version when a drive is mounted.
This helps when there are many drives icons on a pinboard, to show which are mounted.
Install a pet and hover over the drive icons to see the new ones.

The attach jpg shows the mounted colours and drive images in each set.

I've been able to post these now much smaller pets on the forum.
Thanks to Subito Piano for again hosting these files on his site as per my first sets in my earlier post in this thread but I could not enter his links in this post - the 'Preview' option failed as soon as I added the links, so I'm assuming this meant the post as it was would fail :shock: .
I had this happen in two different browsers so there must have been something in the links text?

David S.
Attachments
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_6DS.pet
(27.78 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_7DS.pet
(37.8 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_8DS.pet
(36.46 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_09DS.pet
(29.84 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_10DS.pet
(29.75 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Desktop-Drive-Icons_Set_11DS.pet
(30.94 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
drive-icons-colours-set6-11.jpg
examples of colours used in these pets
(100.67 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

paulh177

Neon desktop icon set in monochrome

#86 Post by paulh177 »

I can't be bothered to wade through and see if anyone's done this before, so I'll just leave these here in case anyone wants them

tar file unpacks to `/usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Neon-Mono`
zip file just unpacks to current working dir.

Done with ImageMagick 6.9.10.

Code: Select all

for i in $(ls -1 *png); do convert $i -background transparent -fill black +opaque black $i;done
Not the correct, best, most efficient IM command? Don't care, worked fine for me. Probably should have added a suffix to basename. 'm' or something. whatever.

bon appétit
Attachments
desk_icon_theme_neon-mono.zip
desktop icon theme 'Neon' converted to monochrome
(64.71 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
desk_icon_theme_neon-mono.tar.gz
desktop icon theme 'Neon' converted to monochrome
(49.08 KiB) Downloaded 412 times