Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 15 Dec 2018, 07:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
gtkpod 2.0.2 April 2015
Page 5 of 5 [71 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 22:40    Post subject:  

Yes, that was a good idea to try Precise 5.7.1 / Tahrpup 6, since gtkpod is tried and tested under those environments.
mike001 wrote:
this time it is having trouble at ifuse /mnt/ipod and telling me that the location is invalid.

The directory /mnt/ipod is created when gtkpod-2.0.2-APRIL2015.pet is installed, so I'm afraid to tell you that the error message you describe indicates, again, that the dotpet is not properly installed. I really don't know what you could be doing that's causing this, apart from maybe erroneously installing some old alternative gtkpod version from PPM.
Be aware that my gtkpod compilation is the only version ever contributed for Puppy which contains the libimobiledevice library, and thus the only version which supports iPhone/iPad/Touch.

mike001 wrote:
When initially hooked up and I go to process manager I find "/user/sbin/usbmuxd --user root --udev" Is this correct or should I be killing this process and using something else?

No, that's perfect - it indicates that usbmuxd has auto-launched correctly.

mike001 wrote:
Below is what /var/log/messages is telling me.
... lockdown error -256
... No device found ... is it plugged in?"

That might be a problem, might not. If we determine that it is a problem, I have another tweak that I found with Google ... but before we get to that point, it's critical that you first install fuse-conf-0.1.pet, and try -
Code:
ifuse /mnt/ipod

or
Code:
ifuse -o allow_other /mnt/ipod

or
Code:
ifuse -o allow_root /mnt/ipod
mike001

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 00:18    Post subject:  

OK, I ran the update from 6.0 to 6.0.2, and then deleted and reinstalled the .pets from the beginning of this thread along with the last one you posted. I am now back to the "no device found, is it connected?" error, the message in /var/log/messages is still the same.
Also I double checked and I am not running under spot.
I tried the three different mnt commands.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 00:41    Post subject:  

OK, so it's not a FUSE/ifuse configuration issue. Suspicion must now fall on usbmuxd, and Google tells me this might be a solution -
use Geany to open /lib/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
and change: OWNER="usbmux" to OWNER="usbmuxd"
Save.
Reboot.
Try again.
mike001

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 00:55    Post subject:  

I got that edited, rebooted, and its still giving me the same error, var/log/messages still says the same thing as well.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 02:36    Post subject:  

It's looking like usbmuxd is interacting imperfectly with your iPod Touch. This would suggest that an upgraded usbmuxd might help ... but I just checked now, and I see that the very latest usbmuxd v1.1.0 is included in my gtkpod package.
In the process of checking this, I also discovered that my "gtkpod-Precise-libs" consists of symlinks to the Tahrpup/Precise libcrypto.so.1 library, and this library is critical to the functioning of usbmuxd ...
so I now suspect that Tahrpup and Puppy Precise may have compatibility problems with gtkpod. Oops.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I now think you have better chance of success if you run gtkpod on Slacko 5.7.0. If you have the time and enthusiasm to do so, this would be a worthwhile investigation.
mike001

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 18:32    Post subject:  

Gotcha, well thank you very much for your assistance, I imagine I'll keep tinkering with it as I get more familiar with puppy, if I end up stumbling across a breakthrough I will post it here .
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017, 00:24    Post subject:  

As I look back through this forum thread, I see that in December 2015 forum member Packetteer reported that gtkpod works with his iPod Touch gen1, running iOS 3.1.3.
so that looks good for mike001's situation.

And I see that in July 2015 forum member sindi wrote this -
sindi wrote:
gtkpod launches for me but does not work with the ipod 1st gen in Precise or Tahr.
Or work very well in Slacko (plays one song then needs to be reloaded to play another from the iPod).

which is further evidence that this gtkpod package works with Slacko 5.7.0, but not with Tahrpup/Precise.
So when you get a chance, it would certainly be worth installing Slacko 5.7.0 to a USB stick, and trying again. The download link is -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso
kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 03:30    Post subject:
Subject description: iPod

tempestuous,

I have a prob with initializing the iPod, when I try to choose it from the drop down menu nothing is selected. Got errors when I manually entered it.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 05:35    Post subject:  

Hello kuman11. It would be good to know exactly which iPod you have, please - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?
Also can you confirm that you are running Slacko 5.7?

I just launched my (rarely used) Slacko 5.7 installation now, and checked that gtkpod is installed. Yep. It launches, and the menus all work.
One thing I noticed is that in the "Create Repository" window, in the field "Repository type:" there are 3 drop-down options;
iPod
Local Repository (Standard)
Local Repository (Podcasts)

Obviously you must select "iPod" before the field "Model" becomes available.
Maybe this helps?
kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 21:41    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Hello kuman11. It would be good to know exactly which iPod you have, please - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?
Also can you confirm that you are running Slacko 5.7?

I just launched my (rarely used) Slacko 5.7 installation now, and checked that gtkpod is installed. Yep. It launches, and the menus all work.
One thing I noticed is that in the "Create Repository" window, in the field "Repository type:" there are 3 drop-down options;
iPod
Local Repository (Standard)
Local Repository (Podcasts)

Obviously you must select "iPod" before the field "Model" becomes available.
Maybe this helps?

------------------------------------

My gtkpod also launched. I hadn't selected Rep type, I did it now though it still hadn't initialized it.

I also got this 'Please specify the command to be called on the 'Tools' section of the preferences dialog' quite a few times when syncing some files.

No, mine is X-Slacko 4.4

Thanks

Last edited by kuman11 on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 23:06; edited 2 times in total
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 21:58    Post subject:  

I will investigate different versions of Slacko in the next day or so.

In the meantime, which iPod you have - iPod Classic, Shuffle, Mini, Nano, or Touch?

P.S. Please don't quote my entire post when replying. It's an unnecessary waste of forum space.
Page 5 of 5 [71 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: