palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
orrin

#721 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ orrin:-
/opt/palemoon
/root/.moonchild productions
/root/.cache/moonchild productions

Also /usr/share/applications (and see if there's a 'palemoon.desktop' file). Delete this, then run

Code: Select all

fixmenus
...in the terminal, followed by re-starting 'X'. This will remove the Menu entry for Palemoon. Also /usr/share/pixmaps, too, and delete the Palemoon icon (if there is one).

Please heed bigpup's advice. After you've removed those, run pFind, and see if there's anything else showing. It should all be gone by now, but.....you never know.

----------------------------------

Mike. :wink:
Thanks for the response! I remembered the 'whereis' command and it
found the symlink and the directory it pointed to. Deleted those!

Your noted directories had left over files and many more were found with pfind (with a lower case F).

Thanks again for your help!
Last edited by orrin on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

watchdog

#722 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Needless to say, the latest version of Flashplayer (31.0.0.108) is available in the correct location for any Mozilla-based browser to find, and use.

Here's the rub. Trying to play music on Radiotunes' website (https://www.radiotunes.com) results in the following banner at the top of the window:-

"Oops, it appears your browser does not support playback of mp3 & m4a audio files necessary to use our service. Please consider trying a different browser for the best playback experience."
Try an older version of flashplayer plugin. I think that the latest version will not work with old libraries because of "system requirements".

Mike Walsh

#723 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, watchdog.

An older version, huh? Hm. That doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest. Kinda makes sense, in a way.....I've only noticed this problem with Mozilla-based browsers in recent months.

I wish they were as predictable as Chrome, with PepperFlash. I run an ancient version of Chrome (26!!!) in Lucid. Won't run a newer version.

That creaky old browser is as happy as a sandboy with the very newest PepperFlash. It's also happy with very old versions. Doesn't complain at all. The Mozilla browsers, on the other hand, complain like holy hell if Flashplayer isn't bang up to-date.....even in relatively old Pups.

(*sheesh*)

How far back d'you reckon I should go? I can have my choice of every version Adobe ever built, y'know... What should I make the cut-off point? Back to good old 11.2.202.644.....or the first of the 'modern' Linux Flashplayers (around 24/25?)

watchdog

#724 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote:
How far back d'you reckon I should go? I can have my choice of every version Adobe ever built, y'know... What should I make the cut-off point? Back to good old 11.2.202.644.....or the first of the 'modern' Linux Flashplayers (around 24/25?)
I don't know. Try first 11.2.202.644. Then 24/25. I do not install flashplayer anymore. Rerwin already noticed that problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 670#970670

Mike Walsh

#725 Post by Mike Walsh »

I've given up trying to get Flash working in Palemoon 28.1.0 in Racy. Nothing seems to work. And since I only use it for that one site (Radiotunes.com) - and I already have a solution for it - I can live with it.

Just made an interesting discovery. I use the final Linux version of Adobe Reader for PDF files. Apparently, using this also gives me a plugin for all Mozilla-based browsers. When I want to view PDFs in the browser, it automatically opens in Adobe Reader.....but in the browser, rather than the desktop app. Which is neat.

All you have to do is go into the Adobe directory in /opt, locate the /Reader 9/Browser directory, and click on the

install_browser_plugin
...shell script. This uses wget to download the nppdf.so module from Adobe (it's still available), and puts it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for you.

It works with any Gecko-based browser; I just found this out in Palemoon a few minutes ago.

Nice one!

Anybody interested in Adobe's Reader 9 for PDFs, you can find .pet or SFS at my Mediafire a/c, here.

These will work in 64-bit Pups, too, if you have the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS loaded.

tallboy

#726 Post by tallboy »

Naa, I'll keep my good old Xpdf, in which all fonts look good!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Sky Aisling

palemoon browser

#727 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi all,
I'm attempting to follow this thread, but, need a little help here.

machine: HP Pavilion dm1-3000 4gb RAM
Distro: Tahrpup-6.0.5 updated - kernel 3.14.56

The Palemoon menu updater for the last couple of months wouldn't update the old 25.x.x 32 bit browser.
The error message said the latest edition of Palemoon isn't accessible.

So, I downloaded the latest 28.1.0 64 bit release from the Palemoon site, extracted it and placed it in 'downloads'.
I 'deleted' 25.x.x 32 bit in /opt
I 'moved' 28.1.0 64 bit to /opt

No joy in activating.

I tried moving 28.1.0 folder to mnt/home and rebooting as suggested in this thread, but, again no joy.
The reason I was updating to 28.1.0 is I too was having Youtube issues with the older 25.x.x 32 bit browser. The issues were both Flash and forever buffering among other annoying slow downs.

How to activate 28.1.0 64 bit?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Attachments
PalemoonRun1.png
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
PalemoonRun2.png
(41.88 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
PalemoonRun3.png
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

Keef

#728 Post by Keef »

Tahrpup-6.0.5 - 32 bit or 64 bit?
You cannot run 64 bit software on a 32 bit OS.
You probably know this, but always worth checking the obvious first :wink:

Sky Aisling

palemoon browser

#729 Post by Sky Aisling »

Keef

You are right.
It appears that the Tahrpup-6.0.5 is 32 bit.
I've forgotten what the console code is in order to check bit configuration, but, I see no indications that is 64bit.
However, the Palemoon download site only offers 64 or 86 bit linux downloads.
Where does the 32bit Palemoon download live?
Attachments
PalemoonRun4.png
(38.61 KiB) Downloaded 839 times

a_salty_dogg

#730 Post by a_salty_dogg »

The one marked "Download x86 tar.bz2 (direct download)" on this page is the link to the 32 bit download.

Sky Aisling

palemoon browser

#731 Post by Sky Aisling »

OK, Thank you, a_salty_dogg
The one marked "Download x86 tar.bz2 (direct download)" on this page is the link to the 32 bit download.

Sky Aisling

palemoon browser

#732 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thanks all,
Issue solved. The correct 32bit Palemoon 28.1.0 download is the answer.
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

It's been so long since I've had any issues with Tahrpup. I'd set the little HP Pavilion dm1 up with a 32 bit os several years ago. Then later I set my larger main machine with 64bit os and forgot I'd done so.

:D

mikeslr

#733 Post by mikeslr »

I'd suggest that those of us who forget little things like that form a club, and get together
once a year. But, I'd forget to attend. :roll:

tallboy

#734 Post by tallboy »

It's been so long since I've had any issues with Tahrpup. I'd set the little HP Pavilion dm1 up with a 32 bit os several years ago. Then later I set my larger main machine with 64bit os and forgot I'd done so.
Sky Aisling, you must be some kind of advertising guru, because you just served us the best reason for switching to a Tahrpup that I have seen so far! :!: :lol:

mikeslr, I am sure I agree to whatever something you said.

greengeek

Re: palemoon browser

#735 Post by greengeek »

Sky Aisling wrote:I've forgotten what the console code is in order to check bit configuration, but, I see no indications that is 64bit.
I add a script in /root/Startup to warn me what cpu architecture my PC is running on.

Script is:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 4
grep -qw lm /proc/cpuinfo && gxmessage  "CPU check - 
You are running a 32bit Puppy on 64bit capable hardware. 
This is not a problem but I just thought I should let you know ..." || gxmessage  "CPU check - You are running a 32bit Puppy on 32bit capable hardware. No problemo !" 
Attachments
CPU_check.jpg
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 717 times

01101001b

#736 Post by 01101001b »

Mike Walsh wrote:I've given up trying to get Flash working in Palemoon 28.1.0
Same problem here... or almost. I had the plugin but I couldn't find the folder where to put it.
All you have to do is [...] put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins [...]
Geniusssss!!! Now it's working ok. Thank you so much!

Mike Walsh

#737 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Just found what could be a bug with Palemoon. This is related to the Java Runtime package, of all things.

I don't go into PaleMoon that often, but I do keep it updated. Went to fire PaleMoon up in Racy 5.5 this evening, and.....nothing happened. Weird.

I started her up via the terminal, and got the following:-

# /opt/palemoon/palemoon
/opt/palemoon/palemoon: symbol lookup error: /mnt/sda1/opt/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so: undefined symbol: _ZSt7getlineIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEERSt13basic_istreamIT_T0_ES7_RNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIS4_S5_T1_EES4_
#
(I keep 'common' installs of many apps/progs on /mnt/sda1. It's where XP used to be until a couple of years ago. Now I use it for loads of 'common', sym-linked stuff across the kennels....including 32/64-bit versions of JRE.)

I recently upgraded from JRE 8_181 to JRE 8_191 a few days ago. To test a theory, I temporarily reverted back to JRE 8_181, and fired PaleMoon up again. This time, it started as expected.

Question:-

Why is PaleMoon even looking at JRE in the first place???

Recommendation:-

If you run JRE, and are on the newest version, run it as an SFS.....and, for now, unload the SFS before you start the browser. Crazy kinda workaround, but it's working for me...

Conclusion:-

Something, somewhere in the Java Runtime Environment, is interfering with the PaleMoon startup sequence.....but what? That's the million-dollar question, because I fail to comprehend why PaleMoon is going anywhere near the JRE in the first place. Unless anyone out there knows better.....because previous versions of the JRE weren't causing this behaviour, that's for certain..!

Mike. :?

tallboy

#738 Post by tallboy »

You obviously haven't fully understood the concept of 'progress', ,Mike! :lol:

darry19662018

#739 Post by darry19662018 »

watchdog wrote:Palemoon 28.0.0 works in my frugal installs in precise and slacko 5.3.3 without tweaks. I have built a package glibc219tweaked for wary and racy which I have summarily tested working. I propose it for your testing:

[deleted]

No go for me in lucid e puppy4.

EDIT: palemoon-28.1.0-glibc219tweak.pet for wary-racy:

[deleted]

EDIT2: palemoon-28.2.1-glibc219tweak.pet:

[deleted]

EDIT3: palemoon-28.2.2-glibc219tweak.pet:

[deleted]

EDIT4: palemoon-28.3.0-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjtL6j ... sp=sharing

EDIT5: palemoon-28.3.1-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RrysZ- ... sp=sharing

EDIT6: palemoon-28.4.0-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IsurVz ... sp=sharing
Yep tried the 28.4.0 glibc219 defo no go in Macpup 525 oh well back to 27.9sse build still works well.

sindi

Palemoon 28.4.0 works with Debiandog Wheezy (2015-09-02)

#740 Post by sindi »

The latest Palemoon will not work with Lucid Puppy any version (including 5287 from 2016), including sulu with later kernels, though it will with Tahr. I have laptops where Tahr (2014) does not work (video problem, no sound, too little memory).

DebianDog Wheezy (2015) with kernel 3.2 works with it. No need to boot up XP to use MyPal to access websites that won't work with PM 27.9.4.
It also works with an older youtube-viewer pet. Now I only need to learn to install debian packages such as ssh.

I have not tried the wary package because on this laptop wary squeals.