Personal Storage

Booting, installing, newbie
Nanosecond

Personal Storage

#1 Post by Nanosecond »

Hallo!
I would like to know how to make a save for each computer personal storage?
So, that I have a save made for each specific computer.
When I boot so that it will ask which save to use.
And can choose to use the save made for that computer I am booting.
Thank You!
Raphael

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

That would be the default.
In fact the opposite would be an interesting problem for students.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

Like @Burn_IT said, puppy does that automatically. Just use unique names for the savefiles when you create them and put them in the same place.

When puppy boots it will prompt you to choose which one you want to use.

Just another 8) puppy feature

fabrice_035

#4 Post by fabrice_035 »

Like jafadim.
In my experience if the puppy finds several backup files he asks which one to choose, but logically to have a new file of it is necessary
start in RAM and save under a new name.
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

mikeslr

How to create a 2nd SaveFile/Folder

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Nanosecond,

As the others have said, once you have a 2nd SaveFile, SaveFolder or one of each, Puppy will automatically on bootup offer you the choice of which to use. [It will also offer you the choice to boot "pfix=ram", and use neither. pfix=ram is the condition your system had before you created any SaveFile/Folder. If you boot "pfix=ram", you'll be able to create another SaveFile/Folder and have another choice on bootup].

The trick is being able to boot "pfix=ram". It's not really much of a trick. If you're using grub4dos as bootloader, its installation created two "menu.lsts". The first, which is actually named "menu.lst" is what you normally see when Puppy boots and offers you choices including the Puppy you installed and Windows. At the bottom of that list is one named "Advanced Menu". If you select it, another menu will appear. The second listing on that menu includes the following in its title "RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave". Select that and Puppy will boot without using a SaveFile/Folder. After making setting and configurations --locales, monitor, keyboard, wifi, etc-- when you shutdown/reboot you'll be asked if you want to create a SaveFile/Folder.

If you're not using grub4dos, you can force any Puppy to boot without using a SaveFile/Folder. Immediately when a Puppy --any Puppy-- begins to boot [you have about 4 seconds] start to type. The command is the same without regard for which Puppy you are using: Code, --without the quotes or the period--
"puppy pfix=ram".

If your bootloader is on a writable medium --hard-drive or USB-Stick-- and you are not using grub4dos as bootloader, that is you are using grub2, grub legacy, or syslinux, you can edit the list these offers to provide a "pfix=ram" choice. But, as I don't use those bootloaders I'll leave the details to someone who knows if you ask for such instructions.

ITSMERSH

#6 Post by ITSMERSH »

There's another way to boot without save file.

Just create a plain text file e.g. tahrsave-dummy.3fs just where the original save file is placed. Then reboot.

Now there's two save files (one real save file, one dummy) to choose from. When prompting to choose a save file, just choose 0 for none to use. At reboot you can create a new save file. As soon as there's two real save files you can remove the dummy one.

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Now, ITSMERSH, that really is a great trick. :D

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

I've used this for some months in Muppy 008.3F before I joined the forum and learned about the pfix=ram boot parameter. I was in the need to have different save files for different computers. I just assumed, there must be an option to choose a save file, if there's more than one - so, I gave it a go and had some luck! :)

Of course, nowadays all my permanently (frugal) installed Puppies have a pfix=ram entry in menu.lst by default.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Just to add.
When you make a new save it will give you a option to give it a specific name.
So, add something to the name so you know what computer it is for.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

Personal Storage

#10 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:Just to add.
When you make a new save it will give you a option to give it a specific name.
So, add something to the name so you know what computer it is for.
Please take note of recent problems getting Online>Subject description: Installing Xenialpup to a USB stick in the other forum.
I'm not certain these are read in both Forums? But, I do need help getting this sorted out and back Online using Xenialpup.
Thank you all in advance for your care, cooperation and patience with me as I learn more about Linux and Puppy.
Sincerely,
Raphael