What plugin for an applet that requires one?

Booting, installing, newbie
Antipodal

What plugin for an applet that requires one?

#1 Post by Antipodal »

:) Hello
I want to see an an applet that's on a HTML file in the web
I'm using Xenial64-7.5 and its Pale Moon 28.1.0 (64bit) browser.
The page said that doing so required a plugin.
I suppose that to solve this problem I must download the appropriate package from an updated Puppy Package Manager and install it, but honestly I don't know which package/s to select.
Can you please tell me (with as much details as possible) what exactly would you do if you were in my place?
Thanks in advance.

ITSMERSH

#2 Post by ITSMERSH »

Doesn't the page have some info of what kind of plugin or even the name of the plugin?

How else should anyone know what plugin to install?

Antipodal

#3 Post by Antipodal »

When some days ago, in a borrowed computer I read in the last paragraph of http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/calculus_b ... ent01.html "You can see all this on the following applet" but didn't see the applet I thought I would have to check that with my usual Xenial and Pale Moon team.

I was relieved when, In doing so, the same page first showed a black rectangular box on which you could read "A plugin is needed to display this content"
Right clicking on it, the contextual menu allowed me to access a Page Info window with its 4 tabs.
Unfortunately, during some time I tried to use the data from these tabs to solve the problem, but failed.
I didn't snapshot it because I never thought that shortly after the black rectangle would also disappear from the Xenial-Pale Moon system screen.
Now, the only way to prove I haven't been dreaming is to ask those who are doubtful to read the last paragraph of the up-mentioned page and lines 88 and 89 of its source code.

I will be very grateful if you can test this page with your browser and tell me what you can see and what do you think I should do if I want to see that applet.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

It is a java applet. Here is the source. .jar means java applet.
<a name="ComplexNumbers" class="doclink"></a><applet code="ComplexNumbers" codebase="../applets/" archive="complexNumbers.jar, mk_lib.jar, parser_math.jar, jcbwt363.jar" width=760 height=450>
So you'll need to install java and enable java applets in your browser.

I'm not sure if modern browsers will let you do that, you might have better luck with an older browser.

Anyway, that should get you started down the right path.

ITSMERSH

#5 Post by ITSMERSH »

I'm in firefox 58 and I can read the last paragraph.

But I don't see any applet.

I don't hava java installed/loaded.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Antipodal,

I'm in palemoon 28.1.0-64bit under Xenialpup64-7.5 and I can also see the page. This Palemoon has neither addons nor plugins. But, neither have I turned-off anything.

I've attached a two screenshots are of the webpage I reached following your directions. [Had to take screenshots of pdf printed by Palemoon as it exceeded Forum size restrictions],
Attachments
Part1.png
Screenshot of top of Info
(151.71 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Part2.png
Screenshot of Info
(98.96 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Antipodal

#7 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you very much guys!!
I'll try to pick up the right path with an old browser.
What do you think about using the browser that was used by default with Puppy 4.2.1?

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Old browsers are great, and fast. I still occasionally use opera 12.16. But its downside is that it, at least, usually is unable to display graphic rich webpages properly, and an increasingly large number of websites won't even allow you access if you don't use the latest Chrome, firefox or can 'spoof' using one.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Auntie, the latest PaleMoon and JRE plugin handles your *inter-active* page as soon as you grant permission.

If you've got a fast connection, easy. Me or anyone familiar with the Java plugin would have you up no time.

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

Confirming that java is the needed plugin
Browser needs to be NPAPI plugin compatible so recent Chromium derivatives will not be suitable.

Here I am using Dpup Wheezy with Firefox ESR 45.7.0
Java plugin is provided by JDK (JRE would also do the same job) version 8u172
This Java is a couple of releases old.
I needed to allow the plugin in the browser AND add the website as an exception in java control panel (security settings)
Attachments
java-applet.jpg
Java plugin plus a bit of fiddling and it displays
(69.87 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Oscar in England

Antipodal

#11 Post by Antipodal »

Ahoy there!!
Thank you for your posts.
They were enlightening and helped me to get into https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 33151.html.
Unfortunately I didn't find OscarTalks' 8u172 in its lists nor in some of the pages of their store I visited.
I would have asked about it through a chat with their Sales Representative at https://sc-oal-en.custhelp.com/ but that required selecting from a drop-down list where 8u172 was also missing.
I got similar results using JRE as a keyword.

As for using an old browser, I tried to use Puppy 4.1.1 and 4.1.2's Seamonkey,
I had no problems in booting them.
But they don't detect my current modem.
If it were possible to provide these oldies with the name of what I think is a missing driver, perhaps I could test the old Seamonkeys. But I don't know where to look for it among the files and folders of my working system.
I suppose Xenial64-7.5 and PaleMoon 28.1.0 (64bit) are storing that piece of software somewhere because they have no problems in detecting my modem.

As you can see, I'm bogged down needing a lot of help and beginning to doubt if I will ever reach my goal. Let aside reaching it in no time as ( I understand) Semme suggested.

So, If you visualize things differently or have any helpful ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

Oracle release their java packages in a slightly strange way.
JRE 8u171 and JDK 8u171 and JDK 8u172 were released at the same time.
Since then there have been 2 releases. Latest is
JRE 8u191 and JDK 8u191 and JDK 8u192

But when I tried the latest in Wheezy the plugin was not recognised by the browser. Perhaps I was overlooking something or perhaps Wheezy is now too old and Xenial would be OK with these latest java releases.

There should be rerwin's get-java utility in recent Puppies. That should be the first thing to try.

Alternatively I did upload JRE 8u171 as .pet and .sfs here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/Uj-KoBQvxjixH?force_show=1

JDK 8u172 is much bigger than JRE and not needed for this purpose but I uploaded it as .pet and .sfs here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/5aP6BYgSoJ5Hp?force_show=1
Java Control Panel should appear in the Utility section of your Menu.
Take note though, these are 32bit packages so no good for 64bit Puppies.
Oscar in England