Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Nov 2018, 09:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I get Pulse Audio to work in BionicPup64?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov 2018, 13:42    Post subject:  

Hello Will -

You wrote:

'The reason you are getting ambient pickup noise when trying to record from Mixer (i.e. from what you hear coming through the speakers whilst recording) is that you also have microphone recording activated in Retrovol (which you shouldn't).'

Yeah, I know this from setting up Pulse Volume control for SSR in Xenial.
If I understood correctly, Mike W. mentioned that using mic boost for this isn't normally done but that it seems to work in Tahr. I probably turned on the mic somewhere in the process. Embarassed My fault, not his.

'But DustyPixel... it might be plughw:0,1 or plughw:1,0 or plughw:1,1 or hw:0,1 or hw:1,0 or hw:1,1.

That's why I gave you the command:

arecord --list-devices

to try; hoping that would guide you to what you sound card hardware actually is. It won't work if you don't use the exact correct card,subdevice number.'

I did use the command, as mentioned in my last post, and it looked like the only options were plughw: or hw:0,0 for either card which I know isn't correct. For example, the USB card is hw:2,0. I was tired at that point and wasn't paying proper attention to the numbers. Looking at it again today, I can see what I did wrong so I'll try again.

Mike Walsh -

Thanks for the suggestion about alsamixer - I'll give that a try.
And no worries about the microphone - hey, at least technically it DID record sound, just a little too much for my purposes Smile
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018, 01:12    Post subject:  

Deleted
Last edited by DustyPixel on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 02:07; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2018, 01:04    Post subject:  

DustyPixel wrote:

On my computer I noticed the Alsa Line Capture setting behaves differently when the cable is used. If I don't use it, the VU meter only goes up to 10% and stays there, regardless of whether any sound is on. All microphone settings including mic boost are turned off. The resulting recordings are barely audible, no matter where I set the input volume.

I'm not sure if I quite understand what you mean above. For recording without cable from 'sound card' you shouldn't be using input source of Line Capture; rather you should be using 'Stereo Mix' (or whatever that Mixer input source is named by your computer).

When using a cable from headphone to physical line input instead, then, yes, you would use input source Alsa 'Line' Capture (Line means physical/cable input). Not using a cable should be better quality though, since using line/physical input there can be introduced noise since the headphone output is driven through additional amplifiers (analog amplifiers, so after electronic digital-to-analog conversion - DAC, which itself produced extra noise, losses, and distortions, the amount of such depending how good the electronic DAC is). Admittedly, these extra amplifiers may not be particularly 'noisy', though you could still get unwanted 'noise' via electromagnetic signal pickup on the cable itself - though, yes, the cables are physically shielded to minimize that additional noise source - still, Stereo Mix input source should be even more noise free and just as 'loud' recording capability usually - though may indeed depend on amplifier effects on your particular soundcard.

EDIT:

By the way... For absolute best quality, when recording media being streamed from the Internet (e.g. Internet Radio streaming, or Youtube videos/audio), you wouldn't use the likes of wex or Precord at all. Such streams are streamed in 'perfect' digital-encoded form and should be left in that form for later playback: i.e. Download Youtube videos using some browser plugin (doesn't go through soundcard digital-to-audio or digital-to-video conversion electronics at all, so no noise introduced). Similarly, you could use the likes of the program "streamripper" to record the undecoded digital media as it is being streamed. I believe the media player VLC can also 'rip' streams directly when supplied with the Internet URL of the media stream (though may need a specially compiled VLC to include that capability).

No matter how you download the digitally encoded media, you could later use, say ffmpeg (or for convenience some GUI software based on that, such as fredx181's Video-to-Audio-convert program), to remove any video track digitally (not via soundcard at all) and possibly transcode the audio from whatever digital form it was originally in (e.g. aac audio) into some other (e.g. mp3 or ogg). Of course, digital transcoding from say aac to mp3 can introduce some losses and/or distortions (especially of high frequency components). Nevertheless, for quick recordings of already playing media (audio or audio/video), weX can yield pretty good results recording analog audio/video via Stereo Mix input source, and is often more convenient to use.

wiak
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 02:05    Post subject:  

Hello Will -

You wrote:

'I'm not sure if I quite understand what you mean above. For recording without cable from 'sound card' you shouldn't be using input source of Line Capture'

'When using a cable from headphone to physical line input instead, then, yes, you would use input source Alsa 'Line' Capture (Line means physical/cable input).'

Embarassed
Back in the day when I made mix tapes/CDs from my music collection on one of those component stereo systems with a receiver, cassette player, turntable, CD player, etc. I had to do it via line recording with RCA cables....SMH Rolling Eyes I was so enthused to finally be getting a positive result I posted in haste and wasn't thinking about why it was working.
I've been working with Tahrpup 6.0.6 over the last several days. I changed to it from 6.0.5 in hopes of better results. I was experimenting with the external USB sound card I use since I prefer it over the computers sound card.
In an earlier post, you mentioned additional configuration may be needed. I was looking at some websites that deal with Alsa configuration and sound card compatibility, and I realized a small but important detail I overlooked.
My USB sound card is not indicated to be compatible with Linux. The CD included with it provides software for Windows computers only.
I was aware of this when I decided to get it about 3 years ago. I was still using Windows at the time but had developed an interest in Linux from using Puppy. I read through the reviews on Amazon and saw that some people had success using it in Linux, including Ubuntu. After receiving it, I installed it on Windows but had to depend on the existing software in Puppy to use it there which has worked out fine. Puppy recognizes it, and it works with the Retrovol/Alsa mixers. (Or it seems to)
I now use Linux in place of Windows and because the USB card has worked so well I had forgotten that there's no 'official' Linux software installed for it. It's been difficult finding anything online about how to possibly configure it to work better in Alsa/Puppy for recordings. I now wonder if perhaps there aren't some compatibility issues with the built in sound card as well, considering that this computer originally came with Windows already factory installed.
Basically, in Puppy with weX without a cable, I'm getting the same results with both the computers built in sound card and the external USB sound card - good video, faint audio. I use the cable, I get good video and clear audio. I noticed one thing, though - if I make a screen recording with the built in sound card and the cable, it does record the audio, but when playing the recorded video I have to switch to the USB card in order to hear it.
If I try to record videos with the computers built in sound card, I test different Retrovol settings and am able to get the VU meter to react to sound, but it's as if there's still some undetectable background noise going on. If I stop the video the VU meter doesn't go back to 0%. It drops back to a certain point and stays there. If I tap the top of my Laptop or clap my hands, the VU meter reacts. It also happens when the video is playing. The microphone and mic boost are turned off, and I don't use a headset with microphone with my computer, only earbuds, so I'm baffled as to what is still picking up outside sound. Maybe the microphone isn't really off?
When I attempt to record videos with the USB sound card it's the same thing.
As mentioned earlier, Pulse Audio in Xenial works with the sound cards in screen recordings, it's the Puppy/Alsa combination that has been problematic.
The built in sound card is:
Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 05)
USB card is:
Startech 7.1 USB External Sound Card with SPDIF Digital Audio. (note - I don't use the SPDIF ports on this card, just the standard USB port/cable)
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 03:25    Post subject:  

I can't really help you with possible card driver issues, but for the Intel card I came across an ancient post that may be entirly not relevant.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134812

It suggested trying an /etc/.asoundrc config file containing the following:

EDIT: Sorry, it is /root/.asoundrc for user root or can use /etc/asound.conf

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "swmixer"
    #card Intel
    #device 0
}

pcm.swmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1234
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        rate 44100
    }
}

ctl.swmixer {
    type hw
    card 0
}

As I said, though, above may be totally irrelevant nowadays. As far as you still 'hearing' sound (when tapping laptop) that suggests you haven't actually disabled your Mic. Remember there is both a 'Playback' Mic control and a 'record' Mic control. If using Line or Stereo Mix you should have both Mic controls turned off. Also, if your soundcard has record control called 'Digital' (my laptop does), turn that right up too. Like I said, trouble is different soundcards have different Retrovol/Alsamixer controls available. I'm no expert on souncards themselves alas - most just work... some don't without various ~/.asoundrc details...

Not much help, I know.

EDIT; Here is something more recent, though again I don't know if relevant to your situation:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1068040-start-0.html

and also:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/394850/sound-card-and-audio-device-driver-on-debian-stretch

Also, I once had soundcard trouble where volume icon would not appear - it was something to do with wrong soundcard type selected (HDMI? I can't remember). The following post reminds me of it though - I did something similar for that issue (which you may not have anyway):

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35579

Possible solutions were in next thread:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=35579&start=10

But... you might need to read all of the following...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

As above will show you, there is a LOT to all of this when your sound card unluckily/rarely doesn't work with defaults...

wiak
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 07:26    Post subject:  

@ DustyPixel:-

As far as your sound card goes, does it say on the packaging that it's compatible with any USB Audio Sound class enabled system? Because if so, Linux has supported that feature for a long time. Drivers should not be needed, since the USB Audio Sound Class has been supported by a kernel module for quite some time...

Under Linux, it's literally 'Plug'n'Play'.

Mike. Wink

Page 4 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: