Installing Puppy from iso without a CDROM

Booting, installing, newbie
ccoupe

Installing Puppy from iso without a CDROM

#1 Post by ccoupe »

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have Puppy 1.0.3 (the atheros version) up and working on /dev/hda3 but my laptop has a bad CDROM drive. I downloaded 1.0.4 (atheros) and my issue is how to install it into /dev/hda1 (ext2) from the .iso image file. FWIW, I have no Windows or DOS on the laptop nor can I install them. Just Puppy.

Is there an easy solution I missed in the forums? I couldn't find it.

It seems to me, i just need to expand image.gz on the new partition, and expand usr_cram.fs on the new partition and copy vmlinux to /boot (the source of those being the .iso file I mounted in the running version of puppy and of course make sure GRUB has the correct settings. Is that all I have to do (by hand or by script)?

FWIW, I cloned /usr/sbin/install-hd2.sh and it got the 1.0.4 vmlinuz installed (along with the 1.0.3 tree of the running puppy which is not what I want. It booted to the command line which is surprising considering how many module dependcies failed. Before I go down the dark hole, I thought I should ask for advice.

raffy

Try linld.com

#2 Post by raffy »

Try this one under Menno's post. It also has links to the Puppy Wikki and this forum.

ccoupe

#3 Post by ccoupe »

Thanks. I've been to the wiki and I did configure Grub to boot 1.0.4 into a ram disk. That's not the same as installing 1.0.4 (type 2) from a 1.0.3 system (also type 2). Grub and I are not the problem. Dual boot is not my problem.

I want an install of 1.0.4 from within 1.0.3 without using a cdrom or Windows or live-cd/ram-disk. I should have been more clear or did I miss something on that link?

mike

#4 Post by mike »

you may be able to download the ISO, mount it, and chroot into it. then you could run the install script.

anyone have the proper instructions on doing this?

if you search in the how-to section, there is a post about running other linux's from within puppy.

this may work, or i may be daft.

ideas anyone?

ccoupe

#5 Post by ccoupe »

Thanks, mike.

I did done the chroot trick to a vector linux partition from within puppy once and it seemed to work. I don't think the iso image is expanded enough on the target partition for chroot to work.

However I make it work, your hint of running the new version's install scripts under chroot is a good fine idea (if only to update it's self and clean up any loose ends.

Aside. If you chroot in a script and then "exec" a script do you exec the old path or the new path. I really do like the idea of running the new version's install scripts.

Must think.

raffy

Starting point

#6 Post by raffy »

A good starting point is the install-hd2.sh script in /usr/sbin. In there, the old Puppy files in its HD partition are updated from a mounted/running new version. In this case, the old version is the one mounted and running. (But sorry, can't proceed beyond that.)