Can't boot with Toshiba Satellite notebook

Booting, installing, newbie
bruce73

Can't boot with Toshiba Satellite notebook

#1 Post by bruce73 »

Trying to boot 2.14 Live CD will hang in boot process at "Loading Kernel Modules". This happens whether on battery or AC. I've read a couple of posts of others having problems, but I'm totally new to Puppy and don't know if there's a solution or not.

I have a fairly new Toshiba Satellite P-105, with 2GBs memory. The CD will boot my desktop PC no problem, so I know the ISO is not corrupted.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Try Rudy Puppys defaults by Debernardis
Great for some laptops.

puppy acpi=strict
acpi=noirq
pci=biosirq
pci=nosort
irqpoll routeirq

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From this topic..no need to read all...the last bit below states it all.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13458

This can now be marked solved.

I used Rudy puppy to boot up this Prince of Technology from Dell.

Rudy Puppys default commands were something like this
and they worked a treat, made for some HP laptops?.

puppy acpi=strict
acpi=noirq
pci=biosirq
pci=nosort
irqpoll routeirq

and this booted to a default setting of 800x600
which I adjusted to suit me to 1024x 768? or something near that.

There are some other issues with this Dellicious Laptop but
they are for another day

Chris
Regards Chris.

bruce73

#3 Post by bruce73 »

Thanks, Chris. Sorry for the noob questions, but are there one or two pauses at prompts during boot? If two, at which one should these commands be entered? And is the correct syntax a space after each, or semi-colon or what exactly?

Clearly I'm new to this. Thanks.

Mstar

#4 Post by Mstar »

I had the same problem on a Toshiba 105. I found that the command "nopcmcia" solved it for me. Worth a try, unless you need the pcmcia card functionality.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

bruce73
Thanks, Chris. Sorry for the noob questions, but are there one or two pauses at prompts during boot?"

Gooday! Sometimes you just have to try things out. That means follow the instructions and give it a go.
Nobody here on this forum will belittle you for trying something out.
But no Brownie points for wavering.
You will have lost 5 minutes of your time but gained experience.
I will however belittle myself by saying I had always used Rudy Puppy and
therefore never had to actually type out the commands.
So there you are...you are the noobie and I should know a little better so who cares.

So I fired up a spare computer with Puppy 2.14 final and started typing.
As long as you type the first p....Puppy won't start. Then type adnauseum
the commands....
puppy plus space and each command...puppy plus space and each command. Mate it's like a never ending sausage machine.
Don't worry it will just go to the next line...Do not hit Enter at all until the end......... Just keep typing...definitely check the spelling..and then hit the Enter key last.

Oh" By the way. That computer already had the saved file.
So to make absolutely sure, back I went and rebooted.
I then had to type puppy pfix =ram...space
and all the others to make sure that anything I had saved did not overide the commands.

You just keep on learning....if you want to.
Sometimes we all have the "dah" moments but who cares.
And lastly I read somewhere today that even Debernardis doesn't know
why the commands work..they just do.

Nothing bad is going to happen to your computer with this procedure.
Get back to us with solved if this works and if not, ask more questions from the more learned than I.

Now toddle off and start the learning curve..and good luck.
Chris

puppy acpi=strict puppy acpi=noirq puppy pci=biosirq puppy pci=nosort
puppy irqpoll routeirq

bruce73

#6 Post by bruce73 »

Success!! I used Mstar's suggestion of the "nopcmcia" command and that got Puppy loaded. I then had to play around a bit with the video wizard, but everything looks great.

I even was able to configure my wireless card and am online and writing this within Puppy! I'm thrilled, as I spend hours trying to get my wireless network going with Knoppix and got nowhere. This was a piece of cake!

I'm hooked, for sure. Thanks guys!

bruce73

#7 Post by bruce73 »

One more thing: is there a way to automatically have that command -- "nopcmcia" -- entered on every boot? I'm sure there is, but haven't found the thread/sticky/faq yet.

Mstar

#8 Post by Mstar »

It's been a while, but I believe I just added it to the end of the Grub kernel string in menu.lst. Don't have the machine with me at the moment, but if that doesn't work, post here and I'll go get it and see what I did.

bruce73

#9 Post by bruce73 »

Thanks, Mstar. So far I'm just booting from the LiveCD. I tried doing a frugal install, but ran into trouble, which I detailed in another post. Is your suggestion with modifying menu.lst still applicable?

Also, when you ran Puppy on your Toshiba, did you have trouble getting Xorg to work? Running the wizard I get "stack underflow" errors. I have just the Intel onboard vid card, so these is pretty much all Greek to me. :?

Mstar

#10 Post by Mstar »

I have lots of trouble with Xorg, so I use Xvesa (sp?) and it seems to work OK.

There is a thread on one of the fora here about booting from XP that outlines the procedure I followed to get it to boot. A search ought to turn it up.

It uses something called "grldr" to boot linux. You need to modify the Windows "boot.ini" file and also install Grub in its own directory on the Windows machine. Sounds complicated, but it really was pretty easy to do following the thread instructions. The boot isn't perfectly clean, there are a few strange messages, but it does work.

I'm a Linux noobie, too so I don't know any of the technical "how and why" but after some trial and error I did get the dual boot working on the Toshiba. So, it can be done.

And to answer your actual question, yes I did modify the menu.lst string to include "nopcmcia". Here's the menu.lst entry:

title Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ro vga=normal nopcmcia
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.gz
boot

Puppy is in its own partition on this machine (hd0,1), but it's a frugal install.

Good luck.