How do you change the screen resolution?

Booting, installing, newbie
jacatone

How do you change the screen resolution?

#1 Post by jacatone »

When I installed Puppy I set the resolution at 800 by 600 which is too large. Many of the windows are too big for the screen. Would like to try 1024 by 768. Unless there is some kind of "fit screen" feature in Puppy I could use. Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to move a window up or down or left or right by dragging anywhere on the window with the left mouse button, while holding the alt key down ... this works for most window managers, it certainly works for Icewm, and i think it worked for JWM the last time i tried it

usually you can access the buttons you need to press by holding the alt key and dragging the window up

sometimes maximizing the window makes the buttons visible

you should be able to change the screen resolution by running the Video Wizard, in the Setup menu (for Puppy 214)

you can setup an 800x600 virtual screen in a 1024x768 (or larger) desktop ... i don't know if the Video Wizard will do that, but you can just edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and near the bottom of the file, change this:

Modes "800x600"

to something like this:

Modes "800x600" "1024x768"

then save the file and restart X

this can be useful if you need a screen which is large and easier to see and read, and allows to have a large area desktop at the same time ... you can scroll the screen around on the larger desktop by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen

personally, i find it annoying

Scoticus

How do you change resolution

#3 Post by Scoticus »

You may also find the reply from hairywill in the post

Clock doesn't correctly show the time - SOLVED

could be of assistance.

I found it very easy to use.

Hope this helps

Ian