Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 17 Dec 2018, 15:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using exFat USB sticks in X-Slacko
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
kuman11

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 00:15    Post subject:  Using exFat USB sticks in X-Slacko  

Anybody knows more about mounting exFat USB sticks in X-Slacko for writing on them, not booting up.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 12:41    Post subject:  

Hi Kuman11,

Per bigpup, you'll need to install “exfat-fuse” and “exfat-utils”. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=979287#979287.

You didn't tell us which version of X-Slacko you're using. The Puppy Package manager of newer X-slacko versions may be able to provide them. If not, perhaps search for them on pkgs.org. IIRC, this application is specific to the Slackware version, e.g. 14.0, 14.1, 14.2. So know which version of Slackware's binaries were used in building your Slacko.

When using pkgs.org, if a package is not available for your Slacko/Slackware, it may be possible to use later (not earlier) versions. However, this can be tricky. It requires installing not only the application but also all its dependencies. Even then it may not work; or if it works, it may conflict with something else on your system. Best to build as an SFS you can load/unload. See PaDS 1.1.4, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998922#998922
kuman11

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2018, 06:10    Post subject:  

hi mikeslr,

I installed the 2 packs from PPM. Then I'll have to do the other step.

Thanks
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2018, 14:03    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
hi mikeslr,

I installed the 2 packs from PPM. Then I'll have to do the other step.

Thanks

Hi kuman11,

No you won't. Or at least not probably. In my desire to be thorough, my posts can become convoluted and confusing.

The two packages provided by PPM should be sufficient. No need to hunt anything down on pkgs.org.

If your installation of them enables X-Slacko to mount and write to exFat USB sticks, you're good to go. "When it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But, if you still have a problem, search for the executables of exfat-fuse and exfat-utils [likely in /usr/bin, else use pfind] Right-click them and see what ListDD has to say. Are there any missing dependencies? Since your PPM had the executables, it will probably be able to provide any dependencies.
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2018, 04:51    Post subject:  

hi mikeslr,

I couldn't mount exfat even though I found the partition of the usb with dmeg command. Tried even with the GParted way of mounting at /tmp/myusb.
Everywhere I got "mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat' "
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2018, 12:48    Post subject:  

Puppy is really not setup to use xfat.
Programs in Puppy are not going to be able to use it.

Quote:
I installed the 2 packs from PPM
After you installed the xfat support programs.

Are you doing this?
Quote:
Probably going to have to use console commands to mount and access the exfat partition.

This can be done just like you’d mount any other partition, using the “-t exfat” switch to tell the mount command to mount a file system as exFAT.

To do this, first create a directory that will be the “mount point” for the exFAT file system. The below command creates a directory at /media/exfat:

Code:
mkdir /media/exfat

Next, run the following command to mount the device. In the example below, the device is located at /dev/sdc1. This is the first partition (1) on the third device (c). If you have a single drive in the computer and you just connected a USB drive to it, there’s a good chance the exFAT file system will be /dev/sdb1 instead.

Code:
mount -t exfat /dev/sdc1 /media/exfat

You can now access the contents of the drive at the mount point you specified. In the example above, that’s /media/exfat. To unmount the partition when you’re done with it, just run the following command, specifying the appropriate device you specified earlier. You can then remove the storage device from your computer, if you like.

Code:
umount /dev/sdc1

The exfat-utils package also contains a “mkfs.exfat” command. You can use this command to format partitions with the exFAT file system from Linux, if you like. You can also just format them with exFAT from Windows, Mac, or other devices that support exFAT.

kuman11

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov 2018, 01:00    Post subject:  

bigpup,
No one of these commands works. I keep getting "unknown filesystem type 'exfat' "
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:22    Post subject:  

I am running Bionicpup64 7.9.6
That could affect what version of other software, I am using, from what your Puppy version has.

Well, I never really tried this.
I was giving you info that I found posted.

I tried it.
Downloaded and installed exfat-fuse and exfat-utils.

I too had problems with those commands.

I got the command
Code:
mkfs.exfat /dev/sda2

To format sda2 partition as exfat.
(It was fat32)

Gparted can do nothing but see the partition and show the format.

If I left click on the desktop icon for sda2 Pmount opens.
If I click on mount then Rox file manager opens.
I seem to be able to do things in Rox with that exfat partition.
Have not tried all possible things using Rox.
capture23892.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.99 KB
 Viewed   64 Time(s)

capture23892.jpg

kuman11

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov 2018, 19:07    Post subject:  

I have only Thunar as a FM now, I'll install Rox and see if s/g is gonna change.

Otherwise with Pmount I also can see Fat32 & ntfs drives even if they don't show on the DT.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: