How to adjust Acer Travelmate touchpad in Xenialpup?(Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

#61 Post by greengeek »

number77 wrote:Non conducting object has no effect at all. The blunt end of biro does not do anything at all, the touchpad clicks but nothing else.
My wife has a pointer to work her tablet but that also has no effect at all.
Are you able to get into bios?

There will be a setting that allows you to choose "advanced" as an option for the touchpad. It will probably say something like "Load the I2C driver or advanced features will not work"
Don't change the setting - i just want to know what it is set to at present. (This will affect both Windows and Xenial touchpad behaviour)

number77

#62 Post by number77 »

greengeek wrote:
number77 wrote:Non conducting object has no effect at all. The blunt end of biro does not do anything at all, the touchpad clicks but nothing else.
My wife has a pointer to work her tablet but that also has no effect at all.
Are you able to get into bios?

There will be a setting that allows you to choose "advanced" as an option for the touchpad. It will probably say something like "Load the I2C driver or advanced features will not work"
Don't change the setting - i just want to know what it is set to at present. (This will affect both Windows and Xenial touchpad behaviour)
I can get in to bios but there is no advanced touchpad setting. I should say that I am running win 10 and trying to get xenial64 to dual boot so I am a bit delayed at present.

greengeek

#63 Post by greengeek »

I have just got access to a similar model of Acer and I can see what you are describing.

When using Xenial the pad is not behaving the same way it does under windows. I will try to find some settings that make it more stable.

At first glance it appears we need to forget the underlying touchpad click function (ie: full depth press for mouse clicks) as that confuses the multifinger touch sensitivity of the overlying touchpad. (Full depth press only seems useful for lasso/highlight function)

Looks like we need to focus on using the light tap-to-click functionality for registering clicks.

One thing I don't see is how you perform a right click with one finger?

When you get access back to Xenial can you clarify that? Where/how does rightclick operate?

cheers!

number77

#64 Post by number77 »

greengeek wrote:I have just got access to a similar model of Acer and I can see what you are describing.

When using Xenial the pad is not behaving the same way it does under windows. I will try to find some settings that make it more stable.

At first glance it appears we need to forget the underlying touchpad click function (ie: full depth press for mouse clicks) as that confuses the multifinger touch sensitivity of the overlying touchpad. (Full depth press only seems useful for lasso/highlight function)

Looks like we need to focus on using the light tap-to-click functionality for registering clicks.

One thing I don't see is how you perform a right click with one finger?

When you get access back to Xenial can you clarify that? Where/how does rightclick operate?

cheers!
Still working on the installation of xenial. The easiest way for right click was two finger click. Will check this when I am back in business.

greengeek

#65 Post by greengeek »

I now have access to a couple of Travelmates which use similar touchpad/clickpads as the B113 so i can hopefully try various touchpad settings and come up with some useful suggestions.

It is clear that flsynclient is limited in it's scope and does not allow adjustment of all of the underlying synclient parameters - especially when using clickpads. This leaves the user in the position of having to manually adjust the synclient parameters one by one (or by using scripts - which i will post later).

The first problem I encountered was how do I reset the synclient settings to normal after playing with some of the parameters?

I came up with a utility that allows the user to make a backup of the synclient settings before making any changes, and reload them later if necessary after having a play with the touchpad/clickpad adjustments.

The utility appends a timestamp to the backup file so it allows the user to make multiple backups, alter the name to make each one meaningful, and choose which one to reload later (the timestamp helps identify which was the original starting file).

Hopefully it will be self explanatory.

(Even if you normally use flsynclient on other touchpads this utility can still be useful for keeping a backup of touchpad settings)
Attachments
synclient_backup_gui.jpg
(23.65 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
synclient_backup_gui_0.2.gz
Remove the fake .gz suffix, place in /root and make executable
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

number77

#66 Post by number77 »

Thats a useful little utility greengeek, Thanks.
I am still trying to get xenialpup back on the B113 without destroying the existing win10 installation so am out of action still. It has reminded me why I hate windows though.

greengeek

#67 Post by greengeek »

Hi Number77 - i have been experimenting with various scripts to tame the Acer clickpad and have opened another thread so that I don't clutter this one. I will add new scripts to that new thread as I develop them, and also add more explanatory information as I am finding out quite a lot about clickpad behaviour and multitouch gestures.

New thread here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114862

greengeek

#68 Post by greengeek »

number77 wrote:bigpup
lickgrub.cfg is installed in C: drive but I am not asked what os to use, it boots straight into win 10.
Before I got your second half of message telling me about the blue screen and press enter I tried it, didnt know what the blue screen meant so it timed out and went straight on to win 10. I did un install the iso with lick, rebooted and reinstalled the iso. Still no choice of os. Any ideas.
Hi Number77, I keep an eye on rcrsn51's post re the Debian Live Starter Kit and he often supplies gems relating to dualbooting uefi & Win10 capable machines - i wonder if this recent post of his may be of use for your Acer boot setup?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1019293

mistfire

#69 Post by mistfire »

Hello I wrote a gui frontend for synclient. It is called pSynclient
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 09#1040809