How to use BCM4352 USB wifi adapter in Tahrpup?

SlyPhy

How to use BCM4352 USB wifi adapter in Tahrpup?

#1 Post by SlyPhy »

Hi all.

My wife's laptop (HP Pavilion) struggles hard with Windows 10 so I decided to put Tahrpup 6.0.5 on a USB and see how it goes.

It goes well as it turns out except one problem... wireless internet doesn't work.

Basically I've spent the last several hours reading everything I can in the beginners section here and in other locations but I can't seem to work out how to find the right driver and how to install it.

When I open a terminal type in lspci -nkk I get a list of devices which includes the following line

02:00 Network Controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43b1] (rev 03) Subsystem Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:2154]

It does NOT say kernel driver in use on the next line so I'm assuming the driver is missing and I have to find it... but where?

Any help appreciated.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ SlyPhy:-

Oh, you're stuck with one of those darned things, are you? (*sigh*) I'm in Tahr 6.0.6 ATM (which is very similar). O-kay. Have you looked to see if the 'b43' driver is in use by the system?

Menu->System->BootManager->[tab]Modules->Add Module

Look in the list on the left-hand side (the right-hand pane probably shows as empty....that's as expected). Scroll down and find the 'b43' module. Click on 'Add' to move it to the right-hand pane. Now re-boot; this will 'force-load' the 'b43' module. Now try setting up wireless again, using whichever of the network connection tools you prefer. If the 'force-load' was the correct one, you should see a 'wlan0' - or 'wlan1' button available.....and you can set things up as you wish.

Let us know what happens, please. There's plenty of other options, and others will probably be along shortly.

Mike. :wink:

SlyPhy

#3 Post by SlyPhy »

@ Mike Walsh

Thanks for your reply Mike. Unfortunately it didn't work :(

I also tried loading this and other modules from the Network Wizard but it keeps telling me no new interfaces were detected.

I will try to see if I can get ndiswrapper to work with it.

Sly.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I use the Windows driver.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Burn_IT wrote:
I use the Windows driver
With which puppy and kernel may I ask?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

If there is no good reason to use Tahrpup, you may want to try Xenialpup 7.5.
It may already have all that is needed.
With the Internet browser requirements constantly changing, Xenialpup will give better results.
I decided to put Tahrpup 6.0.5 on a USB
This is the 32bit version of Tahrpup 6.0.5
Is it the pae or nopae version?
Very important to make sure this is what you have.
There is a Tahrpup64 6.0.5 (64bit)

Here is the driver pet for Tahrpup 6.0.5 for Broadcom.
Tahrpup 6.0.5nopae version
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -nopae.pet
Tahrpup 6.0.5 pae version
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 56-pae.pet
Download and left click on to Install the pet package.
Shutdown and reboot the computer so the pet install is saved and the drivers get loaded.

Any help When you try to run the network connection program?
Should see wlan0 or wlan something as a choice.

Sorry, but do you totally understand how to use the network connection setup program you are using?
I ask, because I know it can be confusing for new users of Puppy.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

With which puppy and kernel may I ask?
Lucid 5.2.8 and Precise 5.7.1
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

SlyPhy

#8 Post by SlyPhy »

@ bigpup

I couldn't get the pets to work so I tried Xenialpup 7.5 instead.

Here's where it gets complex so bear with me.

The boot sequence gets to Xorg Wizard... Starting X, specs in/etc/X11/xorg.conf etc. Then it says Exited from X and gives me a # prompt. Not so good.

When I run hardinfo however it now lists b43 :Broadcom B43 wireless driver in the -Loaded Modules- section of Kernel Modules.... so I'm assuming this 'solved' my problem of no wireless module loading - but now I have a different problem - no X.

So the problem of Tahrpup not loading the wireless drive isn't solved, but if I can get X to run it probably doesn't matter to me anymore anyway.

Any ideas?