Can't play audio from the Internet

Using applications, configuring, problems
J.Allen

Can't play audio from the Internet

#1 Post by J.Allen »

I have recently installed (frugal) Xenial Puppy 7.5 32 bit on my desktop computer.
AMD Athlon (tm) 64 x2 6000+
3360 usable RAM
Audio Adapter HSA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Asus M3A-H/HDMI Motherboard.

I feed audio through USB to an HRT Dac
I use DeadBeef as the audio player
My music is stored on a WD Elements 1TB mains powered hard drive.
The system works fine for all audio at 44.1 16 bit and 96 24 bit, with files retrieved from the WD drive.

What I can’t play is any audio from the Internet, usually 48 16 bit I believe.
If my memory serves me on an Ubuntu 11.04 install on an old laptop Pulse audio automatically made the conversion from 48 16 to 44.1 16 and the Dac did the D to A conversion.

How do I solve this problem?
I’m a Linux novice.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What type of Internet audio are you talking about?
Something like YouTube audio?
The audio with a YouTube video?
Audio from some streaming audio web site?

What browser are you using?

Can you give us a link to something that is not working for you?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi J.Allen,

As I said elsewhere, I know nothing about the details of audio files. [To claim actual knowledge, I would have to internalize the meaning of technical terms which, with my flakey memory, unless I had to use them frequently, will have faded to a blur in a couple of days]. But given sufficient details, I'm not bad a finding almost anything. So, unless I'm completely mistaken, the following post seems to be pertinent to your goal: https://askubuntu.com/questions/138611/ ... pling-rate
"To change the sample rate and audio bit depth we need to edit the configuration file for the pulseaudio server /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Please backup the original settings to restore the defaults in case some settings break your audio.

Look for the following entries:

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
Both are commented out with ;. This means they are not read as the entries given here are the defaults. Uncomment them and replace them with values that suit you better. Always keep in mind that this may be on cost of system performance or stability when choosing extreme values.

Possible entries for the sample format are: u8, s16le, s16be, s24le, s24be, s24-32le, s24-32be, s32le, s32be float32le, float32be, ulaw, alaw

Possible entries for the sample frequency are anything between 1 and 192000 Hz (choose sensible values!)

Save this file as ~/.pulse/daemon.conf or in it's original location (you need to be root then). In order for changes to take effect pulseaudio needs to be restarted with pulseaudio -k in a terminal, or by log out and log back in." Emphasis mine.

There's a good chance that the above advice can be applied verbatim to Xenial Puppy 7.5 32. But BACKUP YOUR SAVEFILE/FOLDER BEFORE DOING IT.

If one of our technically astute members knows of a better way, or any necessary modifications to the above, please chime in.

J.Allen

#4 Post by J.Allen »

Thank you both, mikesir and bigpup.
@bigpup
I'm using duckduckgo on firefox.
Yes, audio from UTube and any other sound file from the intenet.
I did manage to get audio from the net working but only through analogue output using the inbuilt dac in the PC.
I was in desperate fiddle mode by then so I'm not even sure how I managed it :oops:
There should be a way when using digital output via USB to automatically change the sample rate and bit depth that gets sent to the dac.
I'll experiment with mikesir's suggestion and see how I get on.
Thank you.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi J.Allen,

There must be something in the air. musher0 just compiled sox for xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 70#1007870. It should, however, function under your version of xenialpup as well.

If so, something like this may be possible: Run your web-browser thru a wrapper with an "if... then" loop. If the wrapper finds an stream at 48 16, it converts and outputs it at 44.1 16.

But don't ask me how. :( . I can visualize how systems operate, and possible alternatives. But I've long since given up attempting to remember code. If necessary, ask for help on the "Programming" Section, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=46.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm what you want to do is the opposite of the purists' bit-perfect rendering.
Alsa amix is normally in the business of samplerate conversion but usually aimed at an analogue output which is effect what you have now. Defeating that is something I spent much time doing to transfer to and from a minidisc player. Since you have conversion going on which is inevitable you might be able to have a digital monitor of the converted sound for convenience. Check switches available for your card.

Generally it would be worth researching alsa options which will be easier than fiddling with the pulseaudio pig I would imagine and you are dealing directly with the audio processing chain.

As an aside on one machine when recording it often does the first minute at the wrong bitrate which is nice if you like chipmunks.

mike

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I'm using duckduckgo on firefox.
Yes, audio from UTube and any other sound file from the intenet.
Firefox has to have some added setup so audio will work in it.
Mainly the apulse libraries must be installed and Firefox must be able to find and use them.

Download and install the apulse-0.1.11- pet from here:
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/
Make sure to get the correct bit version for the Puppy version.

Depending on the Firefox version it may also need this:
Firefox Sound Fix
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113312
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

J.Allen

#8 Post by J.Allen »

I’ve got sound working through USB to my Dac for both file audio and Internet content now.
It would have been better if I had written how I achieved this as I fiddled, but I didn’t so I’m not sure how I got this to work. I’m sorry, it would have been helpful to post a solution for others.
Anyway, it does work and thank you all for your suggestions.