Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 16:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10, December 5, 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 75 of 78 [1157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 Next
Author Message
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5431
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
Don't you have e-waste recycling where you live?

Yes, of course, but
a) why strip a working 15yr old PC in perfect working order when you've got Puppy?!
b) what do you plan to do with those parts? Can't sell them, they're obsolete. Melting them down uses more energy for little gain.
c) reuse, upcycling, repair, w.h.y. always best strategy.
d) don't encourage the snubbing of yesterday's goods. In a decade they'll be worth a fortune. Today, how much would you pay for a large horn, spring-driven wind-up gramophone and a handful of undamaged shellac records of Caruso...

Last edited by Sage on Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12361
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:22    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
In a decade they'll be worth a fortune.

In a decade, you'll be dead and they will end up in a landfill when someone cleans out your house.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5431
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:28    Post subject:  

Surviving 150yr old Swansea porcelain is worth it's weight in gold because most folks dropped it or their stupid relatives didn't know it from Woolworth's tat. Need to appraise your relatives very carefully before departure!
Returning to the main topic, there's a market for old OSes + old guys who can write e.g.ALGOL/BASIC/Unix and for repair fellas who can fix old HW still running mission critical financial and security programs on equipment that should've been pensioned off when DOS1.0 came out but didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12361
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:00    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Surviving 150yr old Swansea porcelain is worth it's weight in gold because most folks dropped it or their stupid relatives didn't know it from Woolworth's tat. Need to appraise your relatives very carefully before departure!

"To my brother Fred, I leave my entire collection of old computer crap. You can sell it on Ebay, or store it in your own basement.

It's worth a fortune, maybe more than the Swansea porcelain that I left to my grand-daughter Tiffany. Too bad that she won't ever use it. It's not dish-washer safe and she doesn't own a china cabinet to display it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5431
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:08    Post subject:  

Don't you have self-storage units over there? Label it all carefully, include instructions and a notice "Not to be opened until Christmas 2118".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12361
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:29    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Don't you have self-storage units over there? Label it all carefully, include instructions and a notice "Not to be opened until Christmas 2118".


Not for free. And in 100 years, where do you expect that the storage facility will be?

I know all this from bitter experience. I spent three months of my life cleaning out the house of someone who believed that everything she owned should have genuine value to someone else.

If you own things that you treasure, YOU should find new homes for them NOW, and accept the reality of what they are really worth to others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RedQuine

Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 12:56    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:

I know all this from bitter experience. I spent three months of my life cleaning out the house of someone who believed that everything she owned should have genuine value to someone else.

If you own things that you treasure, YOU should find new homes for them NOW, and accept the reality of what they are really worth to others.


Wise words indeed. Mind if I borrow them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3632
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 17:46    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10, December 5, 2018  

I installed to a 32gb Sandisk Cruzer flash drive, pc is an Acer
laptop:

Summary
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Memory 5892MB (717MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Pyro64
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu Dec 6 16:33:06 2018
Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
ELAN Touchscreen
HD WebCam: HD WebCam
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel PCH Headphone
HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm 3=
PC Speaker
Acer WMI hotkeys
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Printers (CUPS)
CUPS-PDF Default
SCSI Disks
ATA ST500LT012-9WS14
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D2Q
SanDisk Ultra
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 4.14.81 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Sun Nov 18 21:59:44 AWST 2018
C Library GNU C Library version 2.25 (stable)
Distribution Easy Pyro64

So far have added Chromium and Kodi.
The touchscreen is working.
Will tryout more things now.
Thanks for new version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
FeodorF


Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 241
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 19:54    Post subject: Test results  

Using one PC with the live-CD and a 32 GB USB 3.0 stick numbered '12345678' as well as one PC with a 32 GB USB 3.0 stick to boot and run.
I watched video on demand for some hours without any hard drive support and EasyOS looks very promising!

Greetings to all,
FeodorF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8739
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2018, 20:16    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Sage wrote:
Don't you have self-storage units over there? Label it all carefully, include instructions and a notice "Not to be opened until Christmas 2118".


Not for free. And in 100 years, where do you expect that the storage facility will be?

I know all this from bitter experience. I spent three months of my life cleaning out the house of someone who believed that everything she owned should have genuine value to someone else.

If you own things that you treasure, YOU should find new homes for them NOW, and accept the reality of what they are really worth to others.


I had that experience also, a relative who lived to 88 and left behind a house and garage full of stuff that I had to clean out, and a garden that had turned into a jungle. When he was a young apprentice, he collected spare nuts and bolts and kept them in jars, just case he might need them one day -- they were still in his garage when he died.

So yes, I am also very mindful not to accumulate lots of stuff that will be a headache for my daughter to get rid of when the time comes.

Already going the wrong way, starting to collect computers again. But will limit it. Maybe will get rid of it all, if I still have my wits about me before the final decline.

Anyway, better get this thread back on track....

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3632
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2018, 02:56    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10, December 5, 2018  

I added the xenialpup container and added some applications including
smplayer/smtube,vcl,kodi,firfox,and a few more.
It's working well.
It's an older version of Kodi,15.4 I think,latest Firefox I think.

Anyway,
It's very cool Smile
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   66.38 KB
 Viewed   196 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
peebee


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 3566
Location: Worcestershire, UK

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2018, 04:49    Post subject:  

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10 boots from frugal install using manual editing of BOOT_SPECS in initrd....
_________________
LxPup = Puppy + LXDE

Last edited by peebee on Yesterday, at 03:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1626

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2018, 05:06    Post subject:  

Hi Barry & everyone,

Thanks, Barry, for this latest release. Made the mistake of burning the ISO immediately after download, and then wondering why it wouldn't boot on any machine of mine (laptop and/or desktop, kept throwing "Finding Drives....Creating compressed zram.....sda sr0 written 20 times)...then..ERROR:Boot drive not found...Have now dropped into a shell in the initramfs." Then it hit me, I needed to cpio the initrd, fix the boot_specs and then all was fine booting up the ISO. Thought maybe the ISO got past this BOOT_SPEC messing around and/or having the restriction of having to be in a booted Easy install to manipulate it. I think a lot of other who run "frugal" are going to fall victim to this, and then, once again, turn away because of the restrictions (not me, I don't mind it, but others will...).


Anyhow, I have a question:

In Billtoo's post above, he writes:

I added the xenialpup container ...

Can I be a dunderhead here....what does he mean? Is Xenialpup as an OS running in Virtualbox (inside Easy) and then that Virtualbox itself is inside a Container? Sorry, it's Friday, been a long week and the synapses aren't firing on that sentence.

Thanks for any simpleton explanations a Friday weary traveler can understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rufwoof

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 2706

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2018, 07:22    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Is Xenialpup as an OS running in Virtualbox (inside Easy) and then that Virtualbox itself is inside a Container?

http://bkhome.org/news/201811/xenialpup-75-running-in-easyos.html

_________________
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8739
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2018, 09:23    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Barry & everyone,

Thanks, Barry, for this latest release. Made the mistake of burning the ISO immediately after download, and then wondering why it wouldn't boot on any machine of mine (laptop and/or desktop, kept throwing "Finding Drives....Creating compressed zram.....sda sr0 written 20 times)...then..ERROR:Boot drive not found...Have now dropped into a shell in the initramfs." Then it hit me, I needed to cpio the initrd, fix the boot_specs and then all was fine booting up the ISO. Thought maybe the ISO got past this BOOT_SPEC messing around and/or having the restriction of having to be in a booted Easy install to manipulate it. I think a lot of other who run "frugal" are going to fall victim to this, and then, once again, turn away because of the restrictions (not me, I don't mind it, but others will...).


The CD boots up and runs in ram, there should not be any error about missing boot drive.

In other words, you downloaded the iso, burnt it to CD, booted, and it should work. It defaults to looking for /dev/sr* with iso9660 filesystem and that is the boot drive.

You had me worried for a moment there. Just checked on the Compaq Presario, booted the CD, it found sr0 as the boot-drive and zram0 as working-partition.

It is a bit slow at first bootup, as copies easy.sfs off the CD to zram, but gets to desktop OK. Reminds me just how incredibly slow data transfer is from CDs.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 75 of 78 [1157 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1162s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0185s) ][ GZIP on ]