Latest Puppies and Quirky (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Blackfish

Latest Puppies and Quirky (solved)

#1 Post by Blackfish »

The last Quirky distro I burned to CD was in January 2017, Version 8.1.6. That is the latest Puppy or Quirky I have on hand. There is so much info online, it is hard for me to tell where to get the latest distro. Where to get the latest Quirky? What about the latest Puppy?

I am running a Lenovo G50-45 w/ AMD8 processor, which is such a piece of garbage that it cannot boot Quirky from the USB stick. I know, "make sure the boot settings are correct in the bios and try a few different brands and it will work". Been there, done that--a hundred times. No, it doesn't work. I was thinking about getting a new computer, but there is no reason for it, really. Just because it can't boot from a USB stick... maybe I will wipe out the hard drive and install Quirky over the whole freakin' thing! Sick of this piece of crap. Windows is on this machine, and I never use it anyway, so why not?!

I had Ubuntu on this drive also, but there was an error while upgrading the distro to the Bionic Beaver LTS distro and it doesn't boot from Ubuntu anymore. Ugh!

Well, the good news is, I always come back to Puppy and Quirky. They never let me down. The best operating systems on the planet!
Last edited by Blackfish on Fri 28 Dec 2018, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

nosystemdthanks

Re: Latest Puppies and Quirky

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

foxpup

#3 Post by foxpup »

http://barryk.org/news/?viewCat=Linux
seems to be down at the moment.
I think this is the old blog of Barry. He has moved to http://bkhome.org/

Barry announced recently he would not work on Quirky anymore and concentrate on Easy.
I hope not, because Quirky still runs on more machine than Easy, especially older ones.
So the last, still very recent, Quirkys are
from Pyro: Quirky pyro-0.8
from Ubuntu: Quirky Beaver64-8.7.1
I am running a Lenovo G50-45 w/ AMD8 processor, which is such a piece of garbage that it cannot boot Quirky from the USB stick. I know, "make sure the boot settings are correct in the bios and try a few different brands and it will work". Been there, done that--a hundred times. No, it doesn't work.
Hmmm. I almost never boot from usb stick anymore. You know that Quirky may need some adjusting in its INSTALL_SPECS in the initrd.q?
How do you install Quirky on the pendrive? On the HDD I install Quirky frugally, works great!
What about the latest Puppy?
There is a lot indeed. There are not a lot of releases, but there is a lot of development in Woof-CE. If you want to profit of this, the best place to look for the latest, but unofficial builds, is here in the Forum. Most are under Puppy Derivatives and Puppy Projects.
A good build with recent Woof-CE comes from peebee: UpupBB. It's the logical successor to xenialpup. 666philb is building the 64bit upup.
I am on slacko64 6.9.9.9 from 01micko now, but there are more recent slacko builds from Sailor Enceladus and norgo.

nosystemdthanks

#4 Post by nosystemdthanks »

foxpup wrote:Barry announced recently he would not work on Quirky anymore and concentrate on Easy.
I hope not, because Quirky still runs on more machine than Easy, especially older ones.
sounds like he has retired from two distros now, and handed two over to the community. thats not a bad thing. it works for him and it helps you guys learn more.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

I haven't seen anyone taking over Quirky though.

mikeslr

The Latest Puppy

#6 Post by mikeslr »

The Latest Puppy:

Well, sorry I can't provide a "spoon-fed" solution. Keep in mind that "Puppy" isn't one operating system, but a family of operating systems each having much in common but with versions having unique features. And anyone is free to create and publish his or her own version. But as long as you can reach this Forum, you can always:

(1) Open your web-browser to Puppy Projects, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=34. Scanning the Headings you'll find:
FatDog64-800, 32-bit UPup Cosmic Cuttlefish (UPupCC) 18.10 (Oct 2018), Bionicpup64 7.9.7 CE beta, UPup Bionic Beaver (UPupBB) 18.05 (May 2018), several DebianDogs and others.

(2) Open your web-browser to Puppy Derivatives, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=35 and you'll find AtomicPup-XIX (a Slacko remaster), and others.

(3) Open your web-browser to Cutting Edge, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=7 and you'll find TazPuppy Beta and others.

About others: When you scan down a Section and run across a Title bearing a name you're not familiar with, or see that there are, say, less than 20 posts, a working hypothesis is that the Puppy or Dog is either New or New-to-You. But reading the first post of long threads of Puppies you recognize will frequently reveal that there has been a significant upgrade, for example both the 32-and-64 bit Xenialpups were upgraded to 7.5 within the last year to include bug-fixes and improvements; and all the Lx-Pups, I think, have also been substantially updated.

Actually, this last year may have been the most active in recent memory for the creation of new versions and derivatives of Puppy.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, it was too much, working on both Quirky and EasyOS, something had to give.

Although Easy is only available as a image for a USB stick, you can open it up and do a direct frugal install -- this going to be even easier to do in the upcoming 0.9.10 -- see recent blog posts:

http://bkhome.org/news/tag_easy.html

0.9.10 is probably a few days away.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

nosystemdthanks

#8 Post by nosystemdthanks »

foxpup wrote:I haven't seen anyone taking over Quirky though.
is quirky supported by woof?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

nosystemdthanks wrote:
foxpup wrote:I haven't seen anyone taking over Quirky though.
is quirky supported by woof?
Yes, my fork of Woof, here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/project/woof/

...if you open up the latest tarball, 20181125, you will find inside folders 'easyos' and 'quirky'. They each have their own 'merge2out' script, and they are really two different woofs.

Blackfish

#10 Post by Blackfish »

Sounds like Quirky is not being supported any longer. I will go back to Puppy then. But not interested in the Puppy spin-offs, only the true Puppies. Which is the one based on the new Ubuntu LTS "Bionic Beaver"?

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 7.9.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Understand that is beta status and still being bug fixed and tweaked for final release.
However, it is about there and does work very well.

After you install it. Run Quickpet>Bionicpup Updates
That will get the latest bug fixes.

Part of using Puppy is to help with testing what Puppy developers offer.
So dive in and help!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Blackfish

#12 Post by Blackfish »

BarryK wrote:Yeah, it was too much, working on both Quirky and EasyOS, something had to give.

Although Easy is only available as a image for a USB stick, you can open it up and do a direct frugal install -- this going to be even easier to do in the upcoming 0.9.10 -- see recent blog posts:

I know nothing about Easy. I've never seen it. But I do enjoy the wonders of booting from flash drives and taking them with me. Puppy is a glorious minimal operating system that makes it a cinch and takes up a very insignificant amount of space.

My other problem is the stupid laptop I never should have bought, which, no matter what I do, refuses to boot from a flash drive. Ugh! I hate this thing!

If I get a new machine, I will give Easy a shot.

Blackfish

#13 Post by Blackfish »

bigpup wrote:Bionicpup64 7.9.7
Understand that is beta status and still being bug fixed and tweaked for final release.

So dive in and help!
BionicPup sounds like the goods. So long as I can get this dumb machine to boot from it.

I help however I can, in my limited way. I'm not that savvy with programming to do anything all that spectacular, but I get in there and find what works and what doesn't and report it as best I can.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Blackfish wrote:
BarryK wrote:Yeah, it was too much, working on both Quirky and EasyOS, something had to give.

I know nothing about Easy. I've never seen it. But I do enjoy the wonders of booting from flash drives and taking them with me. Puppy is a glorious minimal operating system that makes it a cinch and takes up a very insignificant amount of space.

My other problem is the stupid laptop I never should have bought, which, no matter what I do, refuses to boot from a flash drive. Ugh! I hate this thing!

If I get a new machine, I will give Easy a shot.
People kept twisting my arm, so I released an EasyOS live-CD:

http://bkhome.org/news/201812/permanent ... ve-cd.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:Bionicpup64 7.9.7

So dive in and help!
It will be great if that can be got to a final release. The last official Puppy announced at Distrowatch was in November 2017!

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Have you made a topic about this computer and trying to boot from USB?

All computers have been able to boot from a USB device for over 10 years now.
Some are a little difficult to setup the bios to do it by default, but the computer usually has a boot device menu that is accessed by pressing a specific F key just at startup.

Make a new topic giving specific info about make and model of computer.
I am sure we can figure out how to make it boot from USB.

Lenovo G50-45 manual
How can I start the BIOS setup utility?
To start the BIOS setup utility:
1 Shut down the computer.
2 Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup.
(I assume do this step 2 just as it starts, before Windows boots)
How can I change the boot mode?
There are two boot modes: UEFI and Legacy Support. To change the boot mode, start the BIOS setup utility and set boot mode to UEFI or Legacy Support on the boot menu.
You probably need to be in Legacy Support boot mode to get a bios option to boot from USB.

Sorry, but have to ask.
You do completely understand how to make a boot-able Puppy USB flash drive?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Blackfish

#17 Post by Blackfish »

bigpup wrote:

Some are a little difficult to setup the bios to do it by default, but the computer usually has a boot device menu that is accessed by pressing a specific F key just at startup.

Lenovo G50-45 manual
There are two boot modes: UEFI and Legacy Support. To change the boot mode, start the BIOS setup utility and set boot mode to UEFI or Legacy Support on the boot menu.
You probably need to be in Legacy Support boot mode to get a bios option to boot from USB.

Sorry, but have to ask.
I do understand how to make bootable Puppy flash drives. It's one of my favorite past times. I just made six of them and distributed them to friends and kept one for myself. Bionic Pup rules! My favorite Puppy to date! This thing is really cool. It's great to be back. Puppy is my main operating system again. While I was away from Puppy I was using rock-solid Ubuntu. That's always been a good operating system. The Lenovo came with Windows 10, but I partitioned the 500 gig drive and ran Ubuntu exclusively, only running Windows once a month or so just to update it. I don't know why I leave it on there. Useless.

Um, yeah, on the disgusting Lenovo piece of garbage... I really hate this thing and it's falling apart. First, someone spilled hot coffee on the keyboard and destroyed it, so I need Bluetooth mouse and keyboard just to operate it. Then the screws near the screen hinge came loose and the screen started to wobble. I secured the screws, but now it is cracking up and coming apart from the inside. Wish I'd never bought this thing. I got a great deal on it--but it still isnt worth it. I set that aside for the time being and set to work on another Dell Latitude | E5500 I just bought for fifty bucks. This thing is perfect. I have another E5500 I used with Puppy since 2014, but something happened to it where the fan no longer works. It's got something to do with the motherboard, I think, because I replaced the fan three times with new fans and nothing happens. It is still a useable machine, though it gets hot after while and has to be shut down to cool. Anyway, this new one is perfect, and the old one provides two new batteries, spare parts, and a bunch of other goodies I bought for it. I like Dell, generally speaking. They seem to work with everything and anything I throw at it. And they are built solid. I know, you're laughing at my old equipment, but I love Puppy, and I love getting this old stuff and making them work together. My personal computing needs are simple, so I don't need much. I've bought only one brand new computer in my entire life. I just don't see any sense it when all this perfectly good, inexpensive stuff is lying around for the asking.

Thanks for the tip on the Lenovo. I have tried everything. I will try the new info you have posted and try again, though, if I remember correctly--I've tried it already.

Blackfish

#18 Post by Blackfish »

bigpup wrote:

Lenovo G50-45 manual

Sorry, but have to ask.
I went through it all again and got it to boot from USB this time. I have no idea where I went wrong in my previous attempts.

Thanks!

Blackfish

#19 Post by Blackfish »

There was also an official Slacko version of Puppy. Where can the latest version of that be found?

Blackfish

#20 Post by Blackfish »

Blackfish wrote:There was also an official Slacko version of Puppy. Where can the latest version of that be found?
I found it: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... ko64/6101/