Puppy Linux can cure your addiction to Windows

Promote Puppy !
bigpup

Puppy Linux can cure your addiction to Windows

#1 Post by bigpup »

12 steps to Windows freedom

Step 1
We admitted we were powerless to stop using Windows.

Step2
Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could overcome this obsesion.

Step 3
Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Puppy Linux as we understood it.

Step 4
Made a searching and fearless inventory of our computers.

Step 5
Admitted to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our addiction to Windows.

Step 6
Were entirely ready to have Puppy Linux remove all these defects of character.

Step 7
Humbly asked Puppy Linux to remove our computers shortcomings.

Step 8
Made a list of all persons we had asked for help, and became willing to make amends to them for ever questioning the power of Puppy Linux.

Step 9
Made direct amends to such people wherever possible.

Step 10
Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Step 11
Sought through informed reading of the Puppy Forum and meditation to improve our conscious knowledge of Puppy Linux.
Searching only for the true power to be free of Windows.

Step 12
Having had a awakening of freedom as the result of these steps,
we will carry this message to all.
We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

No, still can't live without Windows. Resistance is futile.

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

5 years without having used Windows (since XP extended support ended). Did have it initially left as a boot option, but that just gathered dust and the wasted disc space was reclaimed after the first year to be put to better use. More recently entered a life without google phase and other than the occasional youtube that's going OK. Things are so much quicker without the major commercials. Surprising for me was how much quicker even non google web sites are without all the google analytics that occur in the background.

That said I do see the near total mass assimilation as I walk around enjoying the wonders of life whilst most others are focused on their mind control devices. Even at concerts where they seem to have the need to focus upon recording the event perhaps to watch later rather than experience the event for real. Robots, that confronted with seeing a accident would be frozen into recording the event rather than rushing to assist. Increasingly a world where when asked a question they have to reference their handheld to be told what to reply. Even the capacity for basic math is being lost, a youthful cashier also shuts down if the till cannot tell them how much change to give.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

The idle rich desire to be served by robots. Whilst pure technological robots are making headway, so also is the transition of biological beings ... such that at some intermediate point the two might converge. My guess is that following such convergence things will move more in the technological direction. Aliens traversing vast distances for instance are more inclined to be robotic as the likes of a 1000 year journey when your internal clock set to tick once every year might seem to have just taken around just a quarter of a hour. Intergalactic travel to Andromeda for instance taking a month. When you can backup your memories and replace all body parts, ageing/death will be a thing of the past excepting in the instances of the live machine dying and restoration of backups failing. So remember boys and girls, not only should you maintain a good backup strategy, but also make sure that you have geographical remote copies ... and also ensure that those backups can be restored as and when the need might arise - in a manner as though your life depended upon that.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Great idea, rufwoof!

So... "boys and girls" ;)
1) make a clone of yourself;
2) cryo-freeze clone until needed for body parts;
3) plan teleportation of said parts in case
you'd be half-way to Aldebaran. :twisted:

And still exercise those mental calculation capacities.
Batteries don't last forever. :twisted:

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

I don't get this handheld devices. I mean really, who wants to browse the internet and watch videos properly on such a small screen? A real waste in my opinion and the prices of these gadgets are ridiculous.. I still a use a very simple cellphone for example, one which can only make and receive calls and messages.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Back to topic.

Yes, bigpup, PuppyLinux can cure your addiction to WhineDose, but beware,
all, it will create an addiction to itself.

It's probably too late to warn anyone on this forum. :( But should you wish to
try to cure it, you may try the Steps listed here!

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Is that why I use this for my Puppy Linux live USB drive?
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

You're a pervert ! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Just edited my previous post.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ITSMERSH

#11 Post by ITSMERSH »

rufwoof wrote:That said I do see the near total mass assimilation as I walk around enjoying the wonders of life whilst most others are focused on their mind control devices. Even at concerts where they seem to have the need to focus upon recording the event perhaps to watch later rather than experience the event for real. Robots, that confronted with seeing a accident would be frozen into recording the event rather than rushing to assist. Increasingly a world where when asked a question they have to reference their handheld to be told what to reply. Even the capacity for basic math is being lost, a youthful cashier also shuts down if the till cannot tell them how much change to give.
Pitiable, poor zombie creatures setup now with some sort of rudimentary functions only.

Exactly what I'm observing around me for years... :wink:

nosystemdthanks

#12 Post by nosystemdthanks »

nic007 wrote:I still a use a very simple cellphone for example, one which can only make and receive calls and messages.
when 5g rolls out, my phone wont even do that because it will be kept inside the microwave oven.

or a 3 foot ditch lined with lead and plastic. and possibly a couple sheets of tinfoil. im not sure if this is going to act as a faraday cage, or a leyden jar, but i suspect if there are any trees standing around it that it will rule out the latter.

5g communication technology has unexpected side effects on phones too. here is a nokia being connected to a 5g network for the first time:

https://invidio.us/watch?v=wEIGG-pN7ug

we need a version of puppy that can cure people of their phone addiction.

and their addiction to facebook! if it was only collecting data about peoples experience with puppy linux, instead of their personal lives and pictures, we wouldnt be stuck with this gdpr mess. cambridge analytica would only have dossiers about how people found puppy to be very friendly, and fast on their old machines.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

rufwoof wrote:That said I do see the near total mass assimilation as I walk around enjoying the wonders of life whilst most others are focused on their mind control devices. Even at concerts where they seem to have the need to focus upon recording the event perhaps to watch later rather than experience the event for real. Robots, that confronted with seeing a accident would be frozen into recording the event rather than rushing to assist. Increasingly a world where when asked a question they have to reference their handheld to be told what to reply. Even the capacity for basic math is being lost, a youthful cashier also shuts down if the till cannot tell them how much change to give.
I could see the beginnings of this over 40 years ago, during my final high school years. In 1976, the British education authorities gave the go-ahead for hand-held calculators to be used in schools on a day-to-day basis.

A good friend of mine, one Nigel Edwards, was one of the first in our class to start using a calculator regularly. No word of a lie, within six months this individual had all but lost the ability to ready-reckon in his head, even for the simplest of sums. Without it, he was hard pressed to give you the answer to 'What is the sum of 2 + 2?'

Even today, I will ready-reckon in my head, preferring to 'round-up' and over-allow for most calculations. Unless accuracy is called for, in which case I will fire-up one of the half-dozen or so of these devices I possess.....said devices are lucky if they get used a couple of times a year.

I had only just commenced my secondary education at the time of the switch-over from the imperial system of measurements (similar to the current US system) to that of the metric (decimal) one, and can still convert back & forth from one to the other, in my head, without a hitch. I do feel sorry for the current generation; without their handheld devices, they're stymied.

What on earth happened to learning the basic 'three Rs'.....(r)eading, w(r)iting, and a(r)ithmetic?

Mike. :wink:

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

I still use my "slip-stick" where the calculation is too complex to to in my brain and complete accuracy is not needed.
I do have a very nice solar powered engineering calculator, but it is seldom used.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Colonel Panic

#15 Post by Colonel Panic »

Calculators in the classroom; I think there's a place for them, but only for calculations which are too difficult for most people to carry out quickly in their heads or on paper. I did (pure) maths at university and I still use my calculator (a TI-85 from the mid-90s).

Kids need to learn to estimate what the result of a calculation will be so that they will know if they put one more zero in than they should have, for example when calculating the area of a floor which has sides like 3.38 * 2.16 metres.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

fabrice_035

#16 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hey

My wife is a teacher for young children (~ 6-7-8 years old) and there are 6 computers in her class. (French school)

They all work with this (very good) Puppy http://asriedu.sourceforge.net/

Each computer has just one USB key and *no hard drive* now

When a student has worked well, he or she has the right to use a computer (it's the truth, it's not a joke)

And no one is afraid that something might be broken with this operating system, at worst we remake the usb key (5 minutes)

it's 'old' (~2007) equipment given by parents.

The kids are happy because they are a good applications (brain games software) !

His colleagues are happy to see Linux enter a school. And no need to buy new equipment. I'll try to get a picture to show you that !

ps: But for the work of teachers it is hard to do without Microsoft Office and other proprietary software.

But it's changing a little bit. :roll:
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

foxpup

#17 Post by foxpup »

Interesting. I like the disciplined yet careless way the children are introduced to the PC.
fabrice_035 wrote:ps: But for the work of teachers it is hard to do without Microsoft Office and other proprietary software.

But it's changing a little bit. :roll:
What is hard without ms Office? I would like to know.
Or is it more web/browser capabilities?

fabrice_035

#18 Post by fabrice_035 »

foxpup wrote: What is hard without ms Office? I would like to know.
Or is it more web/browser capabilities?
MS Office, only Office. Children adapt easily :wink: but "old" people's habits are hard to overcome
And MS Office is practically free of charge, everyone knows why.
It is a strategy of Microsoft. :twisted:
( I know that there are solutions under Linux but changing people is very hard )
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

foxpup

#19 Post by foxpup »

It is true that habits are hard to change.

But it is not true that ms Office is practically free of charge.
It is quite expensive. Especially when you want newer versions and want to use it in the cloud. Then you also need a modern machine, and a new windows. This will be in the price of your machine.
Linux and LibreOffice (e.g.) are free and run very well on older machines that are cheap now.

I have to agree that schools tend to promote ms Office to their students.
In fact, they can practically force it on their students because they oblige them to use the repos in the cloud of MS as well, also for teamwork.

My experience for primary school PC's is that they absolutely need a good browser.
Children do everything on the web, in the cloud. They do not need (ms) Office and they like Linux as much as windows, or even better.
The one thing that drives them towards MS is games.

As for Office, the one hardest thing to replace is ms Excel, if you use it for data mining. Recent ms Excel, with its easy pivot tables and charts, is excellent at this.