Pbackup 3.1.9-1

Miscellaneous tools
zigbert

#61 Post by zigbert »

Good suggestions. I do not want to implement any new feature before 2.0 is released. But I will make an errorcheck for umounted flash/harddrives.

Lets start a wishlist for PuppyBackup 3.0
- Automounting / unmounting flash/harddrives. (Should be doable).
- MIrrorOption: Keep Trash (level 0-9. -- 0=no trash, 9=keep trash from last 9 backups).
- FTP backup.

veronicathecow: Did I get you right regarding the levels?

veronicathecow

#62 Post by veronicathecow »

Well I wasn't thinking trashcan but just folders marked backup1, backup2, to backupx but apart from that spot on. Cheers

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

I don't see the problem.

When you make a backup of recent files (not mirror), it is saved to a diectory called for instance: Backup_21-02-2007---26-02-2007. This name will change tomorrow, but you still got your old backup. The only problem occur when you backup twice a day. If you do several backups every day, I wouldn't recommend this way of backup. If will fill up your disk quickly. A mirror will serve this need better. And then some trashcans may prevent loss of datas from the unlucky user.

If I missed something, and you feel misunderstood, I apologize. :oops:
Please explain in details, and I'll try hard to understand.

Sigmund

veronicathecow

#64 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Zigbert, I've been working on trying to get 2.15CE with OO onto a torrent and been staying up way to late (for me!). What you have said about the dates is excellent. I suppose what I was thinking of was that could quickly fill up storage space and if there was anyway to limit the number of backups to "x" levels and the oldest gests scrubbed to make room for the next one.

Also one thing I've found is if I put a directory in the backup list inerror I have to wipe the whole list and start again. Cheers
Tony

zigbert

#65 Post by zigbert »

I suppose what I was thinking of was that could quickly fill up storage space and if there was anyway to limit the number of backups to "x" levels and the oldest gests scrubbed to make room for the next one.
Stupid me! Now I understand. But it doesn't sound like a secure behaviour.
Also one thing I've found is if I put a directory in the backup list inerror I have to wipe the whole list and start again.
I'm sorry to say so, but it is no bug. It is lack of feature in gtkdialog (gui-lib). I was thinking of the ability to open a texteditor to edit /root/.puppybackup-include, but ended up with keeping it simplest possible. I would really like a file-picker-widget.

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.6 is uploaded. See main post.

MU

#67 Post by MU »

I installed it in Muppy 007 (Puppy 2.12) like this:
downloaded the gtkdialog .pet, renamed it to .tar.gz.
Then installed it as binary package in Pupget.

Now Puppybackup 1.9.6 runs.

Like this it looks in Enlightenment 17:

http://puppyfiles.org/pics/puppy/Puppybackup1.9.6.jpg

Very good to use the new Gtkdialog now, well done :D

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sat 03 Mar 2007, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#68 Post by PaulBx1 »

taken from the help file
Is there a help file? I hadn't noticed in 1.0.0. Maybe a button is needed to access the help file? Again, I have not looked at the latest. If it is solid enough I will get it. Does "uninstall" work if it is not solid - that is, do I get Puppybackup 1.0.0 back?
Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting.
I have no idea what this means. Can you set dates of files, other than change, modify, access, which only the system can do? Or is something else meant?
I hope that is not really correct. A 'sync' utility keeps two directories in sync - i.e. any changes in one is reflected in the other.
That was part of my problem with the term "mirror" too. I think some sync programs have used the term "mirror". It is not firmly defined. I think as long as the help is easily accessed so the user can see what is being done, then there should be no problem.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a facility like "nice" in Puppybackup. That is, a way to downgrade task priority so it doesn't load the system. Of course working while it is going on is probably not a good idea anyway, so never mind...

zigbert

#69 Post by zigbert »

MU:
I had no idea that PuppuBackup could look like this. Mmmmm!. :lol:

PaulBx1:
- Yes, you get back 1.0.0 if installs it over 1.9.6.
- Yes, there are helpfiles, both to version 1.0.0 and 1.9.6. I hope you'll easy find 'Help' on MUs picture.
"Mirror doesn't take effect of date-setting." - I have no idea what this means....
- Well, what I'm trying to say is that the Mirror-function does not read the date-setting before running. Here we all see a weak point. My english are not well developed, and the helpfile will follow. It is great that you are critical to the program and the documentation.
- My wish is that you tries version 1.9.6, read help, and propose changes to whatever you mean is missunderstandable. :wink:

zigbert

#70 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.7 is uploaded. See main post.

GeoffS

#71 Post by GeoffS »

Zigbert
It looks great, works very well and it is simple to use.
Something for the wishlist:-
Being able to select various configuration files. I think it would require a few changes to your current file setup so I don't expect to see it in the next release :lol: I'm currently achieving similar functions by doing some file renaming - a bit risky though.

Just one comment about the current main window. Having 'to' at the top and 'from' at the bottom is not quite logical :?

Cheers
Geoff

zigbert

#72 Post by zigbert »

GeoffS wrote:Something for the wishlist:-
Being able to select various configuration files.
My todo-list for 3.0.0 says 'Profiles'. I'm thinking of seperate scheduling. A Time-schedule (cron) and a Profile-schedule. Like this you can start profiles in a row.

But when talking about schedules, the schedule for version 3.0.0 is not tight. I have to return to real life for a while, and it will be minor coding for a couple of months. But, you got your automounting, didn't you. :wink:
GeoffS wrote:Just one comment about the current main window. Having 'to' at the top and 'from' at the bottom is not quite logical
My arguments are few, I'll consider it. :?

GeoffS

#73 Post by GeoffS »

Zigbert
Didn't I say thank you for the automounting :oops: - my sincere and humble apologies and thank you very very much.
Cheers - Geoff

PaulBx1

#74 Post by PaulBx1 »

zigbert, I installed 1.9.7 to my Puppy 214, which added an entry to my menu under "Dotpups". However neither that new menu item, nor the old one under "Utility", invokes puppybackup. Rebooting didn't help either.

zigbert

#75 Post by zigbert »

It sounds that you're missing the new gtkdialog3. Did install that too. See main post. There is a link to a PET package. This will NOT owerwrite existing gtkdialog.

Else should PuppyBackup be in /usr/local/puppybackup/.

zigbert

#76 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.8 is uploaded. See main post.

veronicathecow

#77 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, having a bit of trouble here. Version 1.9.5 seems fine but 1.9.6 -1.9.8 all install okay but will not run, nothing appears on the screen. This is the same problem I have been having with Pfind, see
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30

Hi, I've tried installing version 0.9 but nothing happens when you click on the pfind icon in Dotpups.
If I go bacvkto version 0.7 it is fine and version 0.8 also works (although it says it's version 0.7)
I'm using Rudy Puppy 2.13

Any thoughts? thanks

zigbert

#78 Post by zigbert »

You need to install gtkdialog3 (link in main post). This will be in the upcoming Puppy 2.15.

veronicathecow

#79 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, thanks, have tried that but still nothing... The pupget starts up, thensays processing, then the window closes and that's it... I've tried downloading twice now and running both downloads but the same result... Nothing appears on either package. I assume the gtk thing is not installing properly. (I have done a full reboot as well)

zigbert

#80 Post by zigbert »

Please try running it from a terminal and see what output you get.

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# puppybackup