Nvidia drivers

For drivers and kernel modules.
James186282

#161 Post by James186282 »

I ended up crashing and burning with the 304 nvidia driver. Running an Nvidea routine *Why? it all worked.

Anyway I thought it might be time to open my wallet (gasp) and buy a slightly newer display board. I thought I was getting a discount special that used Nvidea 340.xx drivers but they had a shiny :shock: newer (open box) special on one with twice the video ram and three monitor connectors. So now its nvidia 410.xx on Xenialpup AMD64.

I probably went too far in the newness direction. If anyone hears screaming and puling out the last of my hairs I apologize in advance.

If you don't see an update its because I've smashed my head into the computer monitor. :cry:
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

shinobar

getnvidia-1.5

#162 Post by shinobar »

Avoid GL libraries confliction with some Puppy's.
Tested on bionicpup64.
getnvidia-1.5.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James186282

#163 Post by James186282 »

It ended up working pretty simply.
I got the devx files for xenial and loaded them (They were .sfs format)
I did the same fo the xebalpup 5.5 header files
I went tto the NVIDiA site and downloaded the 410 driver after double checking it was the one they suggested.
I then turned on permission to execute to the Nvidia .run file.
I went to Menu clicked exit then clicked exit to prompt.
I typed in the name of the nvidia .run file and it compiled up a nice new display driver.
hoo hoo1 Sometimes everything works...
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

bigpup

#164 Post by bigpup »

I recently used Getnvidia to install one of the newest Nvidia drivers.
In the running of the Nvidia run package, compiling the driver, and installing the driver, it asks if I want to make a new xorg.conf.
CHOOSE NO!
If you say yes, it will make a xorg.conf that will not work in Puppy.
Use Puppies Xorgwizard if you need to do anything to xorg.conf.

After installing and using the Nvidia driver.
Nvidia X Server Settings control program.
It controls the settings for Nvidia graphics hardware when using the Nvidia driver.
There are Nvidia settings files being used by the driver.
This is very good at making setting adjustments.
Use it for making any setting changes.

"Warning"
On the X Server Display Configuration Window is an option:
Save to X Configuration File
DO NOT USE THIS OPTION
It will make an xorg.conf file that does not work in Puppy and replaces the working Puppy xorg.conf.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

perdido

#165 Post by perdido »

bigpup wrote:
"Warning"
On the X Server Display Configuration Window is an option:
Save to X Configuration File
DO NOT USE THIS OPTION
It will make an xorg.conf file that does not work in Puppy and replaces the working Puppy xorg.conf.
Hi bigpup,
Good point about the xorg.conf file generated from nvidia setup program.

Its not that it won't boot with an xorg.conf from the nvidia setup program, its that there are some
puppy specific settings that nvidia does not include when it rebuilds the xorg.conf file.

Better to manually edit the puppy xorg.conf with the settings nvidia setup would write to the xorg.conf file
That way yu wil keep the puppy specific settings in xorg.conf

Last edited by perdido on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#166 Post by bigpup »

If you look at your examples you can see that settings are missing from the Nvidia generated xorg.conf.
Sure, the basic monitor settings are there, some basic default input device settings, and that is about all.
Well, that is what you get the very first time you boot Puppy, default xorg.conf settings.
Nvidia xorg.conf got monitor setting changes into xorg.conf, but dropped custom settings for other settings in xorg.conf

Other Puppy config programs put stuff into xorg.conf.
Nvidia X server Settings program knows nothing about other Puppy settings that can be in xorg.conf

The Nvidia driver is being controlled by a different settings file when it is loaded and controlling graphics hardware.
A hidden file that the Nvidia Xserver settings program controls.
/root/.nvidia-settings-rc
YaPI(any iso installer)

perdido

#167 Post by perdido »

bigpup wrote:If you look at your examples you can see that settings are missing from the Nvidia generated xorg.conf.
Sure, the basic monitor settings are there, some basic default input device settings, and that is about all.
Well, that is what you get the very first time you boot Puppy, default xorg.conf settings.
Nvidia xorg.conf got monitor setting changes into xorg.conf, but dropped custom settings for other settings in xorg.conf

Other Puppy config programs put stuff into xorg.conf.
Nvidia X server Settings program knows nothing about other Puppy settings that can be in xorg.conf

The Nvidia driver is being controlled by a different settings file when it is loaded and controlling graphics hardware.
A hidden file that the Nvidia Xserver settings program controls.
/root/.nvidia-settings-rc
After taking everything into consideration I changed the post
How does that saying go...."The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" :shock:

baraka

#168 Post by baraka »

Shinobar: 1.5 pet solves everything in xenial64. I can't believe it. All the library conflicts are gone. This bug had years (blaming wine developers didn't help at all).
Thank you very much.

LE (complete results):
a) tahr64 and xenial64 (most important), 340 driver - I've found nothing wrong
b) beaver64 presents the following issues:
- "xwin" command doesn't start xorg, after an apparently flawless installation.
- xorg log said that nvidia driver couldn't be loaded, and nouveau was nowhere to be found - therefore black screen. I reloaded the nvidia.sfs from a fresh savefile and it worked after I manually chose "nvidia" in xorgwizard.
- tested with wine and a glx library error occured, this time explicitly saying that I have the wrong lib32 library
- mpv didn't start, again some library error.
- I remade the sfs without the silent option. A series of writing errors appeared in connecton with cuda library and something else, basically saying some version of cuda is already installed and if I want to bypass it.

I realize that this is a bad report. I should post the exact errors, but again, beaver64 is not fully ready. If you think it's the right time, I'll post them.
Imho, if 1.5 performs well with newer drivers maybe is enough. This is a 10+ years video card though.
Last edited by baraka on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 13:40, edited 10 times in total.

shinobar

Re:getnvidia-1.5

#169 Post by shinobar »

baraka, thank you for your co-operation and the report.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Hesse James

#170 Post by Hesse James »

Hello
A lot of communication recently...

Shinobar, I counldn't resist to test your version 1.5. I took the latest Nvidia 340.107 driver.
All previous problems seem to be ironed out. Thank you very much.
Some suggestions about a future PET-package:
It could be helpful to add a blacklist-file (like the one in the zip-file) into etc/modprobe.d. After a reboot the nouveau is blacklisted and doesn't disturb the nvidia-driver installation.
I also recommend to add this blacklist-file to the generated driver-PET and SFS-file. Then it is guaranteed, that nouveau is blacklisted when somebody takes this driver-file generated by somebody else.

As expected the newer kernels don't recognise these Nvidia-drivers. You have to use xorgwizard (set video driver + specify + enter 'nvidia' + done + xwin (enter)). This modification could also had been done previously by a modification of the xorg.conf by the getnvidia-pet so that the xorgwizard step is not necessary.

Last comment: separation of the 32bit libs from the 64bit libs and their placement into lib32 was a very good idea. Otherwise, 64bit libs are overriden at the end of the installation (as Baraka wrote). Therefor I left all the 32bit libs out of my previous SFS-builds (which might have been the problem of wine32 as prevously described).
Thank you again for your work.
Christian

P.S. By the way, I have a Nvidia-driver-SFS with 304.127 (64 bit) which can be run up to Bionic64-7.9.5 (Kernel 4.14.71) for very old graphic cards if somebody is interested in.
Attachments
nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.zip
(278 Bytes) Downloaded 467 times

Hesse James

Nvidia driver

#171 Post by Hesse James »

Hello
Something to add here...
For my old HTPC I generated a SFS-file for the Nvidia driver 340.107 and Bionic64. Different to other files is a script driven modification of the xorg.conf. That means you simply need to install the SFS-file. It then asks you to reboot and that's all. No uninstallation of the nouveau driver, no xorgwizard-juggling. At the moment I would declare this to be experimental only, because I don't have enough tests executed. The installation generates a backup of your previous xorg.conf to be able to revert the modification.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a11ahfj9 ... onic64.sfs

To keep the package small it contains the 64-bit version only. If you need 32 bit code you should better take getnvidia-1.5.pet.
Christian
Last edited by Hesse James on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

PeteAir

#172 Post by PeteAir »

Hesse James
I have been having a time getting nvidia 340 drivers for bionicpup64 to compile and work. I tried your sfs file and it failed on my Dell e6410/nvs3100m. 666philb
posted a nvidia-340 pet here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=765
that worked on my laptop when nothing else would.

Pete

souleau

#173 Post by souleau »

Here's a little something I run up against, and solved.
It may be of help to someone.

I recently purchased a NVidia Geforce GT 710, and I wanted it to work on a frugal install of Puppy Precise 5.7.1.
So I used the nvidia-glx-352.63-k3.9.11.sfs. Loaded it, ran nvidia-xconf at the command prompt, and then ran xorgwizard. So far so good.

However, it seemed to forget its settings at reboot. If you tried to run NVIdia X Server Settings, it would say that you needed to run nvidia-xconf again. But as it turned out, all that was neccessary to for it to recognize the proper configuration again, was a restart of the X server.

So for a while, I couldn't figure out what caused this. Clearly it knew the settings, but it couldn't find them on boot.

Then I had this 'can it be that simple' revelation.

What happened, was that I had loaded the SFS, while a whole other bunch of SFS were loaded BEFORE it. There was my JRE, my Gimp, my Inkscape, my LibreOffice, my Python, and so on, and then, at the end of the line, the NVidia SFS.
So I unloaded all my SFS except the NVidia SFS, and whatayaknow, everything just booted the way it should. Loaded all the other SFS AFTER the NVIdia SFS, and everything still booted up fine.
I know this sounds like kicking in an open door, but sometimes a simple cause to a problem can be overlooked when you've got your head stuck in stuff like this.

So, TL&DR:

If you use an SFS for your NVIdia drivers, be mindful of the load order of your SFS, and put the one for your drivers up front.

Hesse James

#174 Post by Hesse James »

Hi PeteAir
What exactly do you mean by "failed" ? Driver doesn't support 32 bit programs or doesn't start in xwindows and needs xorgwizard ?
Nvidia settings reorganized xorg.conf ? Anyway, you can use the backup-xorg.conf to restore the previous configuration.
I own a problematic Nvidia Nforce 9300 chipset which reacts very sensitive on wrong configurations of xorg.conf but it works as it should.
Christian

peebee

#175 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jynxd

#176 Post by Jynxd »

I've been trying to have getnvidia make drivers for my machine, however it fails no matter what I do. I've made sure to load the proper kernel sources. Please help.

My OS is xenial pup 7.5 64bits, kernel 4.9.58, devx for xenialpup64 7.5, getnvidia 1.5, GPU is a GTX 660.

I don't even know what the problem is, I get the message: "failed to build 'nvidia' modules". I also saw a similar message that went something like "it sort of failed", which I found somewhat funny.

The nvidia-installer.log is kinda long, so I'll just page here the parts that seem off to me.
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
-> Unable to determine if Secure Boot is enabled: No such file or directory
-> Install NVIDIA's 32-bit compatibility libraries? (Answer: Yes)
-> Will install GLVND GLX client libraries.
-> Will install GLVND EGL client libraries.
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "libGL.so.430.14"
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "libGL.so.1"
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "libGL.so"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "libEGL.so.430.14"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "libEGL.so"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "libEGL.so.1"
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "./32/libGL.so.430.14"
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "libGL.so.1"
-> Skipping GLX non-GLVND file: "libGL.so"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "./32/libEGL.so.430.14"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "libEGL.so"
-> Skipping EGL non-GLVND file: "libEGL.so.1"
Will install libglvnd libraries.
Will install libEGL vendor library config file to /usr/share/glvnd/egl_vendor.d
-> Searching for conflicting files:
-> done.
-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64' (430.14):
I'm trying to have it make a .pet installer, but even if I attempt without that option checked, I get the same results. It shows a message for secure boot, but my motherboard has a BIOS, not UEFI.

bigpup

#177 Post by bigpup »

Are you doing exactly what it says here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611

What Nvidia driver run package are you trying to use?

The repository for Xenialpup64 pets has a few for Nvidia drivers.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -xenial64/
Not sure if you can use them for your hardware.
See what Nvidia suggests for the driver.
Quickpet>Drivers should also lists these drivers for installing.
Whatever you end up using.
ONLY INSTALL ONE DRIVER
If you want to try a different driver.
Uninstall the old one before installing the new one.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Jynxd

#178 Post by Jynxd »

I forgot to say that, I tried these two pets, "nvidia-340-b_K4.9.58-x86_64" and "nvidia-384.98-K4.9.58-x86_64".

This is the version of nvidia's driver "nvidia-linux-x86_64-430.1.4"

I think I followed the guide closely, because I tried several times, may 7 or 8 times, each time reloading the save so it didn't have another driver installed, I kept looking at that post to see if I had done anything wrong.

dancytron

#179 Post by dancytron »

Jynxd wrote:I forgot to say that, I tried these two pets, "nvidia-340-b_K4.9.58-x86_64" and "nvidia-384.98-K4.9.58-x86_64".

This is the version of nvidia's driver "nvidia-linux-x86_64-430.1.4"

I think I followed the guide closely, because I tried several times, may 7 or 8 times, each time reloading the save so it didn't have another driver installed, I kept looking at that post to see if I had done anything wrong.
You need to look up your graphics card and get the correct driver. The wrong driver will fail (I went through this just the other day with my "new" i.e. ancient NVS 300.

Try here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us to find out which version to use.

Jynxd

#180 Post by Jynxd »

Yeah, I used that website, I got the correct driver.