Quirky T290 : and away we go in 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

scijon,
Gee, yes, best wishes from me too.

I was just thinking this morning, "I wonder how scsijon is coming along with his T2 project?".
Now I know, life intervened.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

#22 Post by scsijon »

Thanks to all, it isn't quite as bad as she made it, it's just traveling 400+km one day for tests the next, driving home the third, driving there again the fourth, tests the fifth, back on the sixth, etc,etc. just didn't make semse from both the wear and tear on the ute and me, so I stayed with a (really non-computer aware) friend over there. I go back at the end of October for hopefully the second and final round for this year.

I've added a topic under security for Libressl and wonder if someone could have a look at it as I think it may be worth persuing for puppy, even if it is an openbsd package.

I quote:-
LibreSSL is a version of the TLS/crypto stack forked from OpenSSL in 2014, with goals of modernizing the codebase, improving security, and applying best practice development processes.

Primary development occurs inside the OpenBSD source tree with the usual care the project is known for.
On a regular basis the code is re-packaged for portable use by other operating systems (Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, etc).

The latest stable release is 2.5.5
The latest development release is 2.6.1
See the releases page for support information.

LibreSSL releases contain several parts:

libcrypto: a library of cryptography fundamentals
libssl: a TLS library, backwards-compatible with OpenSSL
libtls: a new TLS library, designed to make it easier to write foolproof applications
Various utilities such as openssl(1), nc(1), and ocspcheck(1).

end of quote.

regards to all

scsijon

foxpup

Re: Puppy T290 : on hold till 2018

#23 Post by foxpup »

scsijon wrote:UPDATE: This project is on hold till 2018. Not from health problems this time, but I have had a request to urgently update qtpy, something I built some time ago for qt users. Apparently they have been 'working-around-the-problem' for a year now and it really needs to be fixed, else they have been told thast they must go back to windows (and windows10 at that), not good for n office that last worked with winme over 10 years ago. It pays too! On the other hand it means I can slowly add/remove some ideas I have been considering into my test setup.
Hello scsijon, I wondered how you are doing and how this project is doing. Now I know you are doing fine :) I'm keeping an eye on this project.

scsijon

and away we go..

#24 Post by scsijon »

With all the problems with void and my other projects completed (for now), i'm going to start this again.

Initially it will be a T2 9.0 base from an updated T2 code (47428 or later) and built as a Quirky.

Eventually I want to do a myz3 build (basic only, no user apps) and therefore allow users to add what they want to from there, whether they be via pets, sfs's or direct. I also intend to do a qtpy (cute-puppy) build.

Planning and packagelist is happening this week. Download and T2 package building next week. And then we will see how we go with building with woofq (quirky not woof-ce).

foxpup

#25 Post by foxpup »

Good to see this back on track, scsijon!
What a nice surprise to start 2019. Best wishes.

You got my attention, and my support if I can.

tuxtoo

#26 Post by tuxtoo »

As we have not heard anything for a while on this project does anyone know what the status is.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

scsijon

T2 broken>quirkyThud64>QuirkyT2 restarts.

#27 Post by scsijon »

For those who want to know what's happening, I've been working on a QuirkyThud64http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116336, both to get some ideas sorted from within my head, use BarryK's easyos thud packages for a roughout of my ideas, and wait while a few T2 problems are sorted out.

Now all that has ocurred I can confidently move forward with this.

I will be creating a musl/llvm/clang/toybox based Quirky, initially using the racy55 packageset (plus necessary addatives). See the first message for some details.

And apologies in advance for any typos, a new brand of keyboard after 8-9 years ic causing hell with typing without repeatedly having to be looking down at it and fixing them!

tuxtoo

#28 Post by tuxtoo »

Thanks for the update scsijon.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

8Geee

#29 Post by 8Geee »

I would like to recommend LibreSSL also.
Right now, the state of OpenSSL is variable...

0.98, 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.1.0 are either End of Life, or will be in less than 3 months. That leaves only 1.1.1 as being in support in forseeable future. OpenSSL 1.1.1 requires glibc 2.25+ (current is 2.29/2.3).

If one is developing ANY puppy, please keep in mind that OpenSSL 1.1.1 is the only future available. LibreSSL is more 'static'.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gcav

bones..

#30 Post by gcav »

Hi scsijon,

Are you basing your build on the last Quirky Bones repository from
barryk?

gc

scsijon

woof-q was: bones..

#31 Post by scsijon »

gcav wrote:Hi scsijon,

Are you basing your build on the last Quirky Bones repository from
barryk?

gc
I follow Barry's woof stream at http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/project/woof/ (latest url), always have. I just add my own 'stuff' under the /quirky/quirky-distro and /quirky/quirky-code structures.

I know it's not puppy's woof-ce but it's what I prefer, after all i'm playing with quirky, not a mainstream puppy and usually build my own package sets from source to woof-build with.

And I haven't released any sets as most of my builds are esoteric. Built for specific groups, like my non-x (pq-) and non-apps (myz) sets or trials for other bases such as I did with opensuse (myo) which failed because of the number of source repositories needed in the build as well as ppm limitations, or purposes such as teaching specifics and never designed for a release. Maybe I should have put the quirky-thud 'stuff' up in the thread as I closed it so others could have worked on, but as the thud sources are no longer in existance it's not worth it.

I shall have a think about this. The only problem would be separating those that are designed for teaching and have a spewcific fail point, (yes the spellings right,) from the good, or 'possibly-usefull-but-need-a-lot-of-work-still' alpha level ones, as there are quite a few of the first, a number of the last, and whether they work with the latest woof is another moot point.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 00:04, edited 3 times in total.

scsijon

#32 Post by scsijon »

8Geee wrote:I would like to recommend LibreSSL also.
Right now, the state of OpenSSL is variable...

0.98, 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.1.0 are either End of Life, or will be in less than 3 months. That leaves only 1.1.1 as being in support in forseeable future. OpenSSL 1.1.1 requires glibc 2.25+ (current is 2.29/2.3).

If one is developing ANY puppy, please keep in mind that OpenSSL 1.1.1 is the only future available. LibreSSL is more 'static'.

Regards
8Geee
At the moment openssl 1.0.2s is being used as it's the latest assigned in T2 and is already tested and configured as musl/clang 'aware'. Although 1.0.2t and 1.1.1d (1.1.1 is LTS to September 2023 programmed for about 3-monthly updates) are now available. I'd be woried if any of them didn't need updating on much more than a 3 month cycle anyway.

And libressl is available under T2 at 3.0.1, so it's possible, just not tested yet in T2. Do you know if it has been musl/clang/toybox built and tested anywhere yet, and is considered bug-free?

I'll consider this with a number of points on my list already set for possible changes when I get to the first alpha stage and start locking-in packages for the first alpha releases.