Odd problem launching games from Ice

Using applications, configuring, problems
dvw86

Odd problem launching games from Ice

#1 Post by dvw86 »

I'm trying to put some games into my Ice menu. Trouble is that the game starts and promptly quits. It only happens on Memory, Voom, War, and XRick. here is the code that I'm trying to use in the menu.

Code: Select all

prog "Memory" package_toys.png /root/my-roxapps/memory/martian

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i haven't tried any of these programs yet
maybe you need to change the working dir before they start

you could make a simple wrapper script

right click in my-applications/bin and click New Script ... name it martian (if you like)

edit the script, so it looks something like:

#!/bin/sh
cd /root/my-roxapps/memory/
exec /root/my-roxapps/memory/martian
type martian in an rxvt window to see if it works ... if it does, it should work in an icewm menu too ... something like:

prog "Memory" package_toys.png martian

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

Well I made the script and clicking on it starts the game. However when I start it from the Ice menu, the game starts up and instantly quits.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

if it starts from the script, it should start by running the script from a menu

are there any error messages in /tmp/xerrs.txt?

dvw86

#5 Post by dvw86 »

That's what I thought too. There were some errors generated. I'm not sure which file it is referring to though.

System init Ok.
Entering game...
can't read from file

dvw86

#6 Post by dvw86 »

It's almost like Rox or Ice doesn't have permission to read a file. I still haven't figured it out. Any more ideas?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

sometimes there are problems starting a program with a different working directory, so it will find the files in one case, but not in the other ... sometimes a program will get the working dir from dirname, which can cause problems if the program was run using a relative path (like ./my-program), which is why i suggested a script that cd's to the dir and runs the program using an absolute path

other than that, i can't think of any other significant difference starting a program by clicking it or from a script or from a menu ... you should have the same rights and permissions, i think

i think if the program will start from a script, it should start from the menu

i haven't tried the program at all ... i assume it's an X program and not a console program? (i think it would have to be an X program if it will run by clicking it) ... if it's a console program, you would need to start it something like rxvt -e my-program ... but i don't think it is

there must some reason it isn't working, but i don't know what it is

dvw86

#8 Post by dvw86 »

Well I have tried this on two different computers and Puppy 1.0.4 and 1.0.3. Starting the programs from Ice in 1.0.4 always crashes, with or without using the wrapper script. Starting the program from Ice in 1.0.3 without the wrapper script crashed, but when I used the wrapper script in 1.0.3 it worked. The only other differance is that Puppy 1.0.3 is an option 2 HD install. If you get a chance could you give it a try. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a problem with my pup001 file in 1.0.4?

duke93535

#9 Post by duke93535 »

You might rethink the common source of those dot pup games. I had nothing but trouble from those games, in the ice window maker.

klhrevolutionist

well

#10 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I'm not sure that I can help, but I believe memory game or martien requires
SDL, If my memory serves me, dvw86

EDIT- Bruce B. some of the games such as barrage.pup and xrick.pup are to big to post, so that is why you are linked to your host file.

sorry for the troubles
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 18 Aug 2005, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Bruce B

Re: well

#11 Post by Bruce B »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I'm not sure that I can help, but I believe memory game or martien requires
SDL, If my memory serves me, dvw86

And duke93535 as far as looking at the source, well I made sure that the game worked!! This problem is getting it working from the menu!!!
But thanks for your great input!!!
I think so according to the info at:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPupsContributions

Says to install SDL, install barrage.pup, but the link to barrage dotpup is broken it seems.

The barrage.pup link is broken here also:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=barrage

Would you do a favor? If you have barrage.pup would you mind uploading it to the additional software section?

duke93535

#12 Post by duke93535 »

Barrage dot.pup works fine with the ice window maker menu and i just put a symbolic link to mini icons, i have downloaded barrage.pup with the link at Contributed Dotpups works fine bruce.

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

Duke, it works, you say?

I tried it again and got the same page I got before. Only this time I read the page. Big difference when you read.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... arrage.pup

What can I say? Sorry for the static on the line. Thanks for your help

mike

#14 Post by mike »

it happens to everyone Bruce :)

dvw86

#15 Post by dvw86 »

Interesting, Barrage works in Puppy 1.0.3 from the Ice menu without a wrapper script, but it refuses to work in 1.0.4 with or without a wrapper script.

#16 Post by Guest »

I have puppy 1.0.4 with a #2 hard drive install and barrage works fine, but voom does not work, the layout is different than other dot pup, there is no apprun in voom and when I link voom to the desktop it still does not work right. I'am an end user , if you look below you will see what I did to put barrage in the icewm menu. Also same problem in other desktops. I linked icon to /usr/share/mini-icon.
under games
prog "Barrage" barrage.png /root/my-roxapps/barrage/AppRun
Good Luck, Duke

duke93535

#17 Post by duke93535 »

the guest above is duke93535

klhrevolutionist

well

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Thank You!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 18 Aug 2005, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

puppian

#19 Post by puppian »

dvw86 wrote:Interesting, Barrage works in Puppy 1.0.3 from the Ice menu without a wrapper script, but it refuses to work in 1.0.4 with or without a wrapper script.
I've tested Barrage in 1.0.3 AND 1.0.4 and it works with both (either from the roxapps folder or from the Ice menu), with option 1 install.

And by 'refuses to work' what's shown on your screen? Any error message?

Edit:
I also can't get klhrevolutionist's dotpups to work from Icewm menu either. All of his games work by clicking on the gear thou.

Btw, you can check out my other dotpup games (besides Barrage, I've also made 3 other games) here:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... 6a2ca0c497

:)
Last edited by puppian on Thu 18 Aug 2005, 16:38, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

dvw86

#20 Post by dvw86 »

It sounds like they work from the menu if Puppy is installed on the hard drive. I'll have to do more testing to verify that. I could just be a coincident, but duke, puppian, and myself can get them to work from the menu when we all have Puppy installed as an option 1 or 2 HD install. I will boot Puppy 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 off of the live CDs with new